1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Exterior Sun Visor.......Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 07:33 PM
Kusto
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exterior Sun Visor.......Opinions

Here are some poor quality pics I took using my cell phone. I have the visor mocked up and am going to mount it tomorrow. I am looking for opinions if the position and angle look OK. Please let me know any thoughts you may have. I was also thinking of painting it a contrasting color to the body.....any opinions on that brain fart????

I will try and remember to get better pics up tomorrow.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:46 PM
mostly52f1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks good kusto, whats it look like from inside the cab? make sure you can see stop lights lol.
hey does anyone make those aftermarket? thought i would ask, i'm lazy and dont wanna look right now

Old 05-05-2009, 07:54 PM
Kusto
Posting Guru
I actually ordered one of those light finder prisims that mount on the dash so seeing the lights shouldn't be an issue...... The visor was purchased off ebay and was off some car but I don't recall right now what car it was from. Required modification because of width. Any 2 piece visor would likely work.....Just ask Julie.

I am not aware of any aftermarket ones specifically for our trucks.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:39 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
I love visors! The front view looks good, but the side view looks like it needs to move upwards 1-2". At least that's my opinion.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:22 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
I agree with carnut122, from the side it looks like it should move upward a bit.

Heck, you can't see the lights from the drivers seat without a visor so go ahead and mount it up.....lol

Bobby

Old 05-05-2009, 10:30 PM
mostly52f1
Senior User
i like it there... makes the truck look mean.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:54 PM
49fordpickumup
Elder User
Looks great. I've seen many on different cars/trucks back when. All looked great when painted/ chromed. Some fit more snug than others. All were good. Many of the old ones had a center support ( center windshield frame) to prevent flexing in the wind. How does this one do that? How do you intend to mount the edges to the cab? chuck

Old 05-06-2009, 12:50 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Everybody is right.

I think with the visor you have it's going to be a matter of YOUR personal choice. But from my eye, you have two lines you are looking at for symetry.

Those two lines are the bottom lip in the profile view. The guys who want you to lift that up a little want that lower lip line level - like this:

Name:  Deluxe Fulton Sun Visor level  alignment.jpg
Views: 17375
Size:  55.0 KB

But what that will do is screw up the other line which is the arch of your roof. As the visor sits in the pictures, it parallels the roof line perfectly. If you lift up the front, to make the bottom lip level, then the top of the visor will look too high.

So in order to get them both close you need to level out the visor in profile but do it where it is in position that its curved top is paralell with the curvature of the roof.

I would move the visor back on the drip rail about 1 to 2 inches and lift up the front about 3/4 to 1 inch to level it out (which may happen all by itself when you move it back). You will probably find the mounting surfaces will be better aligned with the drip rail as well.

Hint: When you are looking at it from the front, the back lip of your visor should just be at the same height as the top of the roof behind it or a dash HIGHER (iow the visor should just hide the crest of the roof behind it Just my opinion though). Here's another shot - contrasting colors too!

Name:  K Nose and Cowl Chrome Install Complete 6.jpg
Views: 15851
Size:  58.0 KB

Give that adjustment a shot and post some more pictures!

It looks EXCELLENT. That is a nice visor - nice and flat across the front - good on visors anyway.

OBTW, the signal finder prisms work really great! I mounted mine in the left hand hole that secures the left defrost plenum to the dash. Worked perfect and is centered on the steering wheel.

Name:  View finder Installed.jpg
Views: 6345
Size:  67.3 KB

Old 05-06-2009, 03:13 AM
Kusto
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by carnut122
I love visors! The front view looks good, but the side view looks like it needs to move upwards 1-2". At least that's my opinion.
That's exactly what I was looking for....opinions. Thanks, I do plan on tilting it back slightly to get the edge of the visor to mate up with the drip rail.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:14 AM
Kusto
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
I agree with carnut122, from the side it looks like it should move upward a bit.

Heck, you can't see the lights from the drivers seat without a visor so go ahead and mount it up.....lol

Bobby

Thanks Bobby

Old 05-06-2009, 03:20 AM
Kusto
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by mostly52f1
i like it there... makes the truck look mean.
I think just lifting it slightly will retain the mean look.......and it's a heck of a lot easier than a chop......as I am sure you are aware.

Originally Posted by 49fordpickumup
Looks great. I've seen many on different cars/trucks back when. All looked great when painted/ chromed. Some fit more snug than others. All were good. Many of the old ones had a center support ( center windshield frame) to prevent flexing in the wind. How does this one do that? How do you intend to mount the edges to the cab? chuck
I will be fabricating a center support and will post photos of it tomorrow.....If I get it completed....lol

Thanks for your comments.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:39 AM
Kusto
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1
Everybody is right.

I think with the visor you have it's going to be a matter of YOUR personal choice. But from my eye, you have two lines you are looking at for symetry.

Those two lines are the bottom lip in the profile view. The guys who want you to lift that up a little want that lower lip line level - like this:

But what that will do is screw up the other line which is the arch of your roof. As the visor sits in the pictures, it parallels the roof line perfectly. If you lift up the front, to make the bottom lip level, then the top of the visor will look too high.

So in order to get them both close you need to level out the visor in profile but do it where it is in position that its curved top is paralell with the curvature of the roof.

I would move the visor back on the drip rail about 1 to 2 inches and lift up the front about 3/4 to 1 inch to level it out (which may happen all by itself when you move it back). You will probably find the mounting surfaces will be better aligned with the drip rail as well.
Julie, as I was looking at the photos again this evening pondering if I like the current position I agree with tipping it back into the drip rail at the top and, there by, raising the front of the visor slightly.

Hint: When you are looking at it from the front, the back lip of your visor should just be at the same height as the top of the roof behind it or a dash HIGHER (iow the visor should just hide the crest of the roof behind it Just my opinion though). Here's another shot - contrasting colors too!

Give that adjustment a shot and post some more pictures!
I kinda disagree with having the back of the visor protrude higher than the crest of the roof, rather, I am planning on positioning it so it blends into the same line as the crest, I believe that this will suit my application a little better.

It looks EXCELLENT. That is a nice visor - nice and flat across the front - good on visors anyway.

OBTW, the signal finder prisms work really great! I mounted mine in the left hand hole that secures the left defrost plenum to the dash. Worked perfect and is centered on the steering wheel.
That is an excellent idea Julie, it will kill two birds with one stone. I was wondering what I was going to use to plug that hole and hadn't decided where I was going to mount the prism.......

I will take my camera with me tomorrow to get pictures with better definition. I will be working on my mounts tomorrow and will likely rivet to the inside of the drip rail on the sides and use riv-nuts for attaching the center support to the cab.

We'll see how it goes......

Thanks again for all the comments.

Nick

Old 05-06-2009, 11:32 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Ya, it's all good. There's only gonna be one spot it will fit that YOU like it and you will know it when you see it.

Post some more pics when you get it where you want it!

Also, I'm going to be interested in how you configure your center bracket. Pics of mine are in the "Visor" gallery I just set up.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:57 AM
dawolverine
Senior User
Get it set where you like it then come back to it a few days later and have a look - your first impression will be right (too high/low/perfect/etc)!

Old 05-07-2009, 09:51 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Hey Kusto!

Just out of curiosity, how are you goung to mount your sides to the roof? Do you have brackets that aren't in the picture, or are you just going to rivet it on?

Quick Reply: Exterior Sun Visor.......Opinions