1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Someone hit my '59 today: Update Feb 04 2010. Pics last post.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 12:56 PM
black58
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Contact Bob at Bob's F-100's. He has a ton of parts. When my 58 was involved in an accident, I happened to have a basement full of parts like bobj49f2 said. I told the tow truck driver to tow it to my house, and told the insurance company (State Farm) I would fix it myself. They sent an adjuster to my house, I gave him a list of prices for all of the parts that were damaged, showed him prices from catalogs, copies of ebay pages, and quotes from Bob, I then gave him a quote for my labor. I only charged 30 bucks an hour which was cheap. A couple of weeks later, I got a check in the mail for over three grand, and they let me keep it, I was floored! I would have taken 1200 and let them take it. I had it back together in no time and used the money to fund our honeymoon. With what was left, I bought a welder, and some shop tools. I paid $700 for that old truck and probably had another $800 to $1000 in parts in the basement and garage. I figure I made out pretty good in the deal, and my truck was no where, NO WHERE as nice as yours, not even close. Look at my gallery, most of those pics are from after the accident, it's actually more rust free after the accident than before. I'm kinda glad it happened, I may have never taken the time to replace the entire front clip and cab. Good luck, please keep us posted.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:59 PM
black58
Elder User
Man, I just looked at those pictures again, that really blows, I'm sorry you have to go through this. What a freakin headache. Give Bob a call and see what he can do for you. Is the frame bent, or is it just cosmetic?

Old 05-06-2009, 01:26 PM
brockwood
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cobraguy, they wanted to blame for 89% where they got that number is beyond me, I was doin 30 and he was doin 50 so your guess is as good as mine.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:31 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
John, shut up! You're giving away our secrets! Donlt let the insurance companies we might have a way of getting a little of our money back from them!

I really depends on the insurance company, I have Amer. Fam. and have had great response from them every time I have filed a claim, they weren't my fault. I got rear ended in a daily driver by another Amer. Fam. insuree and it went smooth as water. I've had claims problems when involved with non Amer. Fam. accidents.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:54 PM
hellbilly1932
Senior User
Thanks for all the info guys. Anyone who has a line on good shops in the San Diego area feel free to PM me with the info, I will try to PM you guys to. Thanks again.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:11 PM
birdman1
Elder User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry to hear about your truck getting smacked around. When is the guy's funeral being held? In North Carolina the police reports do not determine who is at fault the reports states that, plus the insurance company determines who is at fault, Now the cop is there at the scene and the insurance office is downtown, who can best tell who is at fault?

Mike

Old 05-06-2009, 09:46 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by brockwood
WOW... at least you didnt catch a rice racer in the back of your bed like I did.
some guy hit me with his motorcycle while I was on the freeway he landed in the back of the truck.
nearly tore his leg off with the side rail of the bed. the insurance co. tried to say it was my fault....I had to fight with them intill they settled on 50/50 his fault.
50/50 is no fault. Simply means that both insurance companies couldn't prove fault. In CA, a person has to be 51% or more in order to be considered at fault.

I know. I've been working as an auto claims adjuster for the past seven years. Now I work as a field appraiser estimating damages.

hellbilly1932, contact me if you need any help. I'll tell you what to do and what to say.

Looks like the truck was also pushed forward and onto the curb. Make sure to check the alignment and any suspension/steering damage. Looks like you need a new left bedside. However, don't think that they're available in repro. So, you'll ultimately need a complete bed. State Farm only owes for the left bedside, however, you can argue the fact with them that the bedside panels aren't available separately, and thus, you need to get a whole used bed. It'll be more cost effective to swap out the entire bed than just the left bedside panel (about 10-12 hrs bedside panel replacement vs about 4-5 hrs bed replacement). The con of replacing the entire bed is now all of it has to be painted (probably 4-6 hrs) vs just the bedside (2-3 hrs). Then you have the Rhino Lining reapplication. You also have about 4-6 hrs of repair time on the cab corner, plus refinish time. Looks like you only have primer on the truck, so refinish time is reduced in half. Now is the time to think about getting the entire truck painted. Either way, your truck won't look the same as before the accident. Keep in mind that the insurance company is supposed to make you "whole" (meaning like your truck was before the accident). Definately take the truck to a body shop that works on vintage/classic vehicles and not your regular body shop that works on Coke cans.

When estimating damage on vintage vehicles, everything is arbitrary because there are no labor (time) guides to fall back on. It'll simply be up to what the shop and the insurance company think it would take to repair your truck.

Like I mentioned earlier, contact me if you have any questions or need any help. I'll give my phone number if you contact me off the board.

Good luck!

Old 05-07-2009, 09:43 AM
hellbilly1932
Senior User
Thanks for the help. By the way the truck isn't in primer, just looks that way in the pics due to being dirty and poor quality camera. It's actually an older midnight blue paint job.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:18 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by hellbilly1932
Thanks for the help. By the way the truck isn't in primer, just looks that way in the pics due to being dirty and poor quality camera. It's actually an older midnight blue paint job.
Well, then looks like you'll be getting a new midnight blue paint job...

Now is especially the time to think about getting the whole truck re-painted.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:42 PM
hellbilly1932
Senior User
Got ahold of the insurance company and they got the statement from the other guy admitting fault so we can now move on and get the ball rolling. Going to take the truck over the a Place called SoCal Paint Works that does restorations and collision repairs and insurance repairs on nothing but classics. Taking the truck in on tuesday and the insurance company said they only do estimates on the older cars at the shops that will be repairing it so I just told them the shop and they were like "oh yeah we work with them all the time". Called the shop to set it up and they said the State farm guy that comes out is really good and is even an ex body man and is really fair with these things, knows what they are worth. So wish me luck.

Any one have any input on SoCal Paint Works?

Old 05-07-2009, 02:54 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
So far, it sounds like things are going well. It's good that State Farm is familiar with that shop and has worked with them before. It's even better that their appraiser is knowledgeable with older vehicles. You shouldn't have any problems. I'm the go-to guy around here for the company that I work for when it comes to older vehicles.

The reason why State Farm wants to inspect your truck at the shop is like I mentioned earlier, they want to negotiate directly with the shop as there are no labor (time) guides available in any computerized estimating system. There are old Mitchell books available for old vehicles that show replacement times, but these books are hard to come by. So, now the times are arbitrary and the estimate has to be written manually.

Just remember, like a good neighbor, State Farm is there.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:10 PM
brockwood
5th Wheeling
cobraguy, thats a good question how it could be any % my fault is beyond me.
maybe due to the fact that I was on the road. they had to blame somebody

Old 05-07-2009, 04:48 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I've always been told you have a share of the responsibility just for being there. If you didn't place yourself in that place you wouldn't have been involved.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:42 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by bobj49f2
I've always been told you have a share of the responsibility just for being there. If you didn't place yourself in that place you wouldn't have been involved.
yeh, but my mom & dad got me into this mess!

sam

Old 05-13-2009, 07:50 PM
hellbilly1932
Senior User
Well the ins company is going to cut me a check for 2500 with out totaling the truck so it looks like it turned out right about how I thought it would not too much money but not too little either. And it looks like I found the parts I need thanks to Cobraguy. I'll keep everyone here posted and get some pics up in my gallery of the damage and the rebuild progress. Time to do all the rear end suspension mods I've been wanting to do before paint.

Quick Reply: Someone hit my '59 today: Update Feb 04 2010. Pics last post.