Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Number One Selling Truck in America, Still.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 05:51 PM
Frankenbiker
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dkf
I'm aware that the Chevy and GM trucks actually outsell Ford trucks. I just never understood why GM didn't just get rid of GMC to save some money. Then GM would be on top with truck sales.
Many years ago, (like the 50's - 70's) GMC was GM's "big truck" marque. They sold the trucks that were over 1 ton in capacity, all the way up to the big Class-8 General. Chevy stopped at the 1-ton mark, with only a tiny handful of C50 and C60 chassis units. (Ford and Dodge also had class-8 rigs, too, believe it or not.)

Nowadays, there's no real NEED for two truck brands at GM; it's just a marketing thing, kept for the sake of the familiar name.

A few years ago, there was some marketing noise that GMC was going to try to sell to the slightly more upscale market, but I think all those plans got trounced when Cadillac entered the luxo-truck foray.

Gm is the poster child for badge engineering... Underneath, they're still ALL the GMT-900 platform....

-blaine

Old 05-13-2009, 09:23 PM
rambuck
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Frankenbiker
Many years ago, (like the 50's - 70's) GMC was GM's "big truck" marque. They sold the trucks that were over 1 ton in capacity, all the way up to the big Class-8 General. Chevy stopped at the 1-ton mark, with only a tiny handful of C50 and C60 chassis units. (Ford and Dodge also had class-8 rigs, too, believe it or not.)

Nowadays, there's no real NEED for two truck brands at GM; it's just a marketing thing, kept for the sake of the familiar name.

A few years ago, there was some marketing noise that GMC was going to try to sell to the slightly more upscale market, but I think all those plans got trounced when Cadillac entered the luxo-truck foray.

Gm is the poster child for badge engineering... Underneath, they're still ALL the GMT-900 platform....

-blaine
Just like Ford and Mercury up in Canada. They had Mercury trucks in the 60s. But Mercury, unfortunately, is also a poster child for badge engineering, but GMC is king (or queen!)

Old 05-14-2009, 09:36 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

-blaine
I remember seeing those class 8 Fords around. I understand years ago there was more of a difference in brands of the same manufacturer but now they sort of all are blended together.

Just like Ford and Mercury up in Canada. They had Mercury trucks in the 60s. But Mercury, unfortunately, is also a poster child for badge engineering, but GMC is king (or queen!)
The whole Ford and Mercury thing doesn't make sense to me either, not nowadays anyway. Many years ago Fords were pretty sparten and the Mercs were spiffed up a bit. But nowadays you can get a Ford just as fancy as a Merc and they are nipping at the heels of Lincolns.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:57 PM
snipAR-15
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fordfanatic4life
werent they trying to come out with a F100 (which would be midsized), thus no need for the ranger anymore..

but i havent heard about the F100 project in ages so im sure its DOA...

the Ranger def. needs a revamp bigtime thou...
why change what is selling though?

Old 05-26-2009, 08:35 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Because in the world of making and selling mass market products, update or die. The Tacoma has been updated a couple of times since the Ranger got a major facelift. Most of the Rangers sold today go to fleets at low prices and low or no profit. I believe the end of the Ford's interest in the Ranger was when the Explorer Sport Track (a crew cab mini truck) was introduced without the Ranger name.

Jim