Wyoming Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: coolbeans

May BS thread... let it fly!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 06:14 PM
Saleenguy
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mwvdub
Why do today what we can put off until tomorrow.
Or next week.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:09 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Received 222 Likes on 181 Posts
Good Morning Miles and the Wyoming gang!!

Old 05-14-2009, 11:26 AM
mwvdub
Posting Guru
Good Morning Pat.

Had a big scare last night. A little back story first. Finally got the new exhaust hung on the truck last Sunday and it sounded really good. Nice and quiet for the street and then just pull the caps and it runs more or less wide open for race days. Last night, we needed to adjust the toe - in since we lowered it and the 460 probably weighs a bit more than the 300. After we got it figured out we started it to drive and it sounded terrible. Turn the engine off and looked at the towel sitting on the carb, removed it so it would flow some air and restarted the engine. It was all loaded up, blowing smoke like crazy and wouldn't hardly idle. I held it at 1500 to clean it out and it didn't help. Turn it off again, changed the plugs and tried again. Still no better. The only two things I could think of were a blown head gasket or a broken oil ring. After crying a while and drinking a few, we started to look things over. My dad noticed the crankcase vent on the left bank was not connected and there was no smoke, and the vent on the right bank was connected and smoking badly. We unhooked it and almost immediately the smoke stopped. All i can figure is the valve in the vent is broken and allowing oily crankcase pressure to run backwards into the engine causing the smoke. Seems to run much better now that we took the exhaust back off.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:53 AM
mwvdub
Posting Guru
I got this in an email a few weeks ago. Thought I would share. Make sure your sound is on.

50 Caliber Shot

Old 05-14-2009, 12:15 PM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Morning Miles. Man, I hope you got that problem solved! I'd really like to see that truck in person someday. I'll have to watch that video at home tonight, youtube is blocked here.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:37 PM
mwvdub
Posting Guru
All seems well Pat. The plugs on the right side were all pretty oily and the ones on the left looked great. I think it will be ok.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:49 PM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Still no Orin today. Wonder where he's been. Must be busy at the ranch, I guess. Have you done anymore work on the house?

Old 05-14-2009, 02:58 PM
mwvdub
Posting Guru
I wonder where he is? Hope just staying busy. I have been working on the yard. I looked at cedar fence today at lunch and have an underground sprinkler guy coming today at 4. Hope the damage is minimal.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:10 PM
BIGKEN
Received 7,099 Likes on 4,184 Posts
Afternoon Saawx fans!!!

Old 05-14-2009, 03:47 PM
PreciousOne
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
HELLO PEEPS!!!!!!

How the heck have you all been???????

Old 05-15-2009, 07:38 AM
BIGKEN
Received 7,099 Likes on 4,184 Posts
Morning Saawx fans...Happy Friday!!!

Old 05-15-2009, 10:15 AM
Orin Martin
Posting Guru
Good Morning Ken, and every one else that rolls through this fine morning, I have yet once again dropped out of sight as spring has sprung and most everything else as well.

I started off this fine week by being a humanitarian to a house cat that slipped by me Monday morning wanting to go for a walkabout out doors in the wild named “Buddy” which I don’t recall being one of the names I called him as he ran across the yard. That cat and I both made some startling discoveries shortly there after. He discovered that the “the wild” was a big place all of a sudden and with that knowledge the first thing he did was line out the tallest tree closest to him and made a v-line straight for it climbing half the way to the top to start with. Being a rational fellow and by then had refrained from any further cussing went and got the tallest extendable ladder I had and went up the tree with a smile on my face and talking nice to Buddy which was promptly met with a snarl, hiss, and climbing further up the tree until he had made it most of the way to the top to sit on some small branch’s some 30 feet up at least by then.

Now I have had this happen before with different cats when the dogs would chase them up the tree for fun but would come down after a bit when the heat was off and with me being late to a job and the day was pleasant I figured at some point during the day he would come down on his own to hide under the house until I got back later that day. When I returned he had not moved from his station and the dogs at that point had little or no regard for him but yet he remained. My son tried to coax Buddy out with treats but he stayed firmly at his post refusing to give in knowing he was totally safe up there. At this point I was very convinced that all cats when they have had enough will come down on their own and after he again growled and hissed at me figured that there was no further point at this time with this endeavor.

That night I made sure to bring the dogs into the house so they could not bug him knowing after it got dark and chilly and with the dogs normally in the house at night figured this siege had to be over quick with him scratching on the door later in the evening however the next morning he was still up there only retiring back to a fork in the branch’s to assure his stability while he nodded off I think. In that second while I seen his black figure in the midst of the branch’s some 30 feet up I suddenly knew that this had to come to and end that very morning for he had been up there for 24 hours with out food or water and the only thing at this point that had been in his favor was little wind and mild temps, there was however threats of cooler temps and high winds later.

In my irrational state as I contemplated what to do next as I have never rescued a cat out of a tree before came up with a few right off but for those of you that live here already know but for others Wyoming has its own version of the 7 wonders and growing trees here is ranked up there at the top somewhere around days that the wind does NOT blow so loving trees almost as much as loving that stupid cat cutting the tree down was not and option after rethinking for a second. My son was wanting me to do something because he just had to see what dad was going to do about this before leaving for school to tell his class mates either what kind of a moron I was or a hero so with that in mind I rigged up a snare type device that even though a little rough would be my back up plan fabricated from some soft rope and a branch trimmer with a extendable handle that would over come my distance once I got to the limbs that were under 3 inch’s for after 51 years I have a high preservation for my hide as well and don’t bounce at all so sudden stops after an accelerated decent is not an option.

I did trust my instincts though and climbed up to where the cat had settled and even though it wanted to take off I think he knew as well that this had to end so with a little positioning on my part and talking calmly I was able to get a hold of him to which he did not bite or fight me. After I was able to secure my grip on him I tried as gently as possible to loosen him from his death grip knowing if he got away at this point my work would really cut out for me but all went well being able to stuff him into my coat I had on just for such an occasion bring him back to the ground and into the house where he belongs.

At this time as I write this Buddy has recovered from his out door adventure almost completely at this stage now taking up residency behind me as I sit up in my office chair where he normally resides when I’ am on the dumbputer purring away. Buddy is one of two cats that I rescued out side a couple of years back at different times, the first was abandoned at it nest when the mother cat took the strongest kittens leaving that one behind around 2 weeks of age, fortunately I found it bringing it in to raise. Buddy had been severely injured when he was around 6 to 8 weeks old and required a lot of care to nurse him back fearing that he may not live at one point but grew into a big strong cat as well.

To this end I have made sure that there would be as few problems with cats or dogs for that matter assuring that they be spayed or neutered and limiting how many cats that can be here for if you have too many along with not being able to care for them will find disease running out of control as I remember in younger years when I was here. As for me this has been a busy week that went by like a blur aside from the rescue work and must focus on a garden this coming weekend so there seems to be no rest for the weary here at the ranch right now.

Last edited by Orin Martin; 05-15-2009 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-15-2009, 11:19 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Good Morning Wyoming!! Orin, good to see you back my friend, I was wondering where you'd gotten off to! Glad to hear you latest adventure came to a happy conclusion, especially in the knowledge that you didn't perform any "gravity verification testing" off of the extension ladder!! Thanks for sharing another wonderful tale!!

Only thing for me to report today, took my little girl to the doctor, to have her cast removed, and the three pins pulled from her elbow. Everything healed up fine, she was a little scared of the cast saw at first, and did really well when they pulled the pins. A few more weeks getting used to her arm being out of the cast, and she should be good as new!

Old 05-15-2009, 11:37 AM
Orin Martin
Posting Guru
Good morning Pat my friend as well, glad to hear all is well with your daughter and good as new. Poor girl I can only amagine pins at such a early age, I will hope this cuts down on her adventurism after this to some degree.

As for me I can't be quite sure if I' am closet thrill seeker or what my deal is but it all came off without a scratch and a happy ending. Have a good day Pat and plan to be on next Monday morning just have to hit things a little earlier so I can fit all these things in.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:59 PM
mwvdub
Posting Guru
happy super late morning all. I am off to get everything ready for tomorrows race day.

Quick Reply: May BS thread... let it fly!