EFI 5.0 Into '71 F-100 - Pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 09:49 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Beef Stew
Cab versus bed movement is usually from the frame flexing, not from the cab moving around on the frame. Sure there is some movement but what you're seeing is something different.
I see I am not going to get the idea through that the cab DOES move on the mounts.

My '74 highboy's cab moved a lot in relation to the frame. I can't imagine a bump-side being any better in the stiffness department, but hey, WHAT DO I KNOW.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:11 PM
Beef Stew
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
N-E-WAYS, when the truck bursts into flames you guys will be the first to know.

New drive shaft will go in this weekend and I should get most of the exhaust put together. I'll post up some pics so you guys can cry about my turn downs not exhausting carbon monoxide and how I'm going to kill myself.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:32 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thats exactly what we don't want ... But it's your truck, Your life ... I just hope it does not include your family.

And being you won't listen to reason, I doubt anyone will try!

I am sure thats why others have not voiced their opinions!

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 05-01-2009, 08:54 AM
lew52
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go for it . !!! The world is over populated any way ... you can do your part to help LOL...Lew

Old 05-02-2009, 06:43 PM
Beef Stew
Junior User
It's okay. You'll think I really have a death wish when I put a pair of turbos on this thing and let 'er rip.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:30 PM
lew52
Postmaster
I would mount the turbos next to the sump !!!!... I run an in line manuel fuel press gauge inside the cab of my truck... But i use an isolater to make it safe..The fuel lines should be inside the frame rails... At least you should use the ss braded hose If you ever plan on racing the truck you need to pass tech...Lew

Old 05-02-2009, 07:52 PM
4DTech
Junior User
AAAAHHHH!!!! **** them all it's a beautiful truck and there isn't anything thing that would be a big issue. Yes the fuel tank is in the "CAB" soooo it doesn't matter what's sticking out the bottom you still have the entire fuel tank behind the seat.... If anything I would say yes maybe a braided fuel line to go from the cab to the frame rail. But yes that pump does need gravity feed. The sump is a good idea..... No need to get heated guys it's his truck, concerns are ok but when you build something like that you tend to pay attention to the burning yourself to the ground stuff..... I have faith that he has done his homework and will be just fine... We can all chime in and offer our opinions but it is his truck and shouldn't tell him he's wrong. Awsome truck looks great I'd like to see the "done" pictures.... Take it easy....

Old 05-02-2009, 08:18 PM
lew52
Postmaster
I think we all agree its a nice truck...I would like to have it & your right its up to him how he wants to build it..Everybody has a different opinion.. But i would use the braided line... Thats what started everthing to begain with ..Otherwise i think its a good build.. Lew

Old 05-03-2009, 01:38 AM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
The sump should not be an issue. The point you guys are missing in your talks about the cab moving on the frame, or this thing being in an accident is that the gas tank and the cab are pretty much 1 unit. Yes they are technically 2, separate entities, but in this case they can be seen as one. I cannot see an instance, even in an accident where that sump would become an issue. Only in a very high speed T-bone type scenario would there be enough impact to rip the tank from it's mounting points and free the tank from the cab therefore allowing the sump to contact the hole in the cab and possibly rip off. In that case the driver would be pretty much done for anyways...
The sump is above and separate from the frame and clear of contacting the hole in the floor of the cab unless it comes unbolted and flopping around in the cab - which is unlikely. Therefore how would the sump ever cause an issue???

The aluminum hard line connecting the sump to the in-line pump is another deal. The flex in the body on top of the frame WILL cause an issue on that one, but that has been covered. Change it to soft line and all is good.

Nice looking swap - keep up the good work

Old 05-03-2009, 10:02 AM
mudder460
Posting Guru
Very nice work. Why did you pull the 460 out for a 302 though?

Old 05-03-2009, 09:08 PM
Beef Stew
Junior User
Originally Posted by lew52
The fuel lines should be inside the frame rails.
I put everything on the outside of the rail to keep it away from the exhaust which runs very close to the frame rail. I plan on making a shield to cover and protect the fuel pump and filters assembly.

Originally Posted by mudder460
Very nice work. Why did you pull the 460 out for a 302 though?
There are a few reasons:

Yes the 460 was pretty bad *** but it's 41 years old and pretty tired. It's quicker/cheaper/easier to do this swap than to rebuild the 460. The 5.0 is EFI and combined with the AOD trans it will always get twice the fuel economy that the 460 ever got. The 5.0 is also obviously more reliable. I also happen to work for a fairly well known company that makes a plug-n-play stand alone engine management system for the 5.0 (as well as many other applications).

Old 05-03-2009, 10:11 PM
mudder460
Posting Guru
That is cool, I kinda figured that is what you were gonna say! LOL Too bad you aren't close to Ar, I would be interested in a running 460!!

Old 05-04-2009, 07:38 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by lew52
The fuel lines should be inside the frame rails...
That makes a lot of sense.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:13 PM
jeff gammon
Junior User
Keep us updated as you progress. I am planning on doing this swap on my 78 f100. My block is in the shop now having the mach. work being done.

Jeff

Old 05-13-2009, 11:14 PM
Beef Stew
Junior User
Progress has been slow lately. Having problems getting ahold of the dude that I got the motor & trans from to get some parts he owes me. While update with more info when I get some more work done.

Quick Reply: EFI 5.0 Into '71 F-100 - Pics