1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Difference between F1 and F6 (1952)

Old 04-28-2009, 09:52 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 602 Likes on 374 Posts
Why exactly are you locked into an F-6?

Old 04-28-2009, 10:15 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
This is a question I might not want to know the answer to but I have to ask, what condition is the truck in now? You said the frame has been painted, does this mean the truck has been restored, or at least a good, solid restoration candidate? Do you have pictures of it?

Old 04-28-2009, 01:57 PM
VistaGT
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Why exactly are you locked into an F-6?
It was a friend's, Sentimental value

Originally Posted by bobj49f2
This is a question I might not want to know the answer to but I have to ask, what condition is the truck in now? You said the frame has been painted, does this mean the truck has been restored, or at least a good, solid restoration candidate? Do you have pictures of it?
The truck is in great condition, beautiful paint, recent resotoration. Flathead V8, the only rough part is the interior and it's still very decent. No pictures but it looks nice

Old 04-28-2009, 02:44 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by keith1952f6
I need fenders for a 52 f-6 does anyone know where I can get?
Sorry to post it here since it's kind of off this topic, but I can't send a PM or email to keith1952f6.

I have a complete front 51/52 F2-F6 clip, but it's not in immaculate shape. Not sure what you have now is better or not.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:14 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by VistaGT
The truck is in great condition, beautiful paint, recent resotoration. Flathead V8, the only rough part is the interior and it's still very decent. No pictures but it looks nice
That's the answer I was hoping I wouldn't get. Man, I know it's your truck and you can do what you want with it but it drives me nuts when someone takes a nice truck and butchers the he out of it. Like many on this board we started with rot buckets and searched for decent parts. I would have loved to start with a truck in nice, restorable condition. I hope you come to the realization that the truck is worth a lot in it's present shape and sell it to some one who will appreciate it as it is. What you want do to it would be a travesty, IMO.

I'll bet you could sell it as is and get enough money to buy a somewhat decent F-1 and spend the time and money on that to get it to what you want out of the F-6 with less money and time.

Even if you have sentimental value in the truck what you want to do with it will make it so different from what your friend had that I can't see how it will relate back to your friend.

Again, it's your truck, it's yours to do with what you want but I hope you reconsider keeping it stock. Sorry about the strong opinion but I just hate seeing a nice truck chopped up.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:25 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts
Which wheelbase version F6 do you have? Some of these work great for a rollback carrying a hot rod.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:26 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts
As far as the rear Im thinking a ford rear will be cheaper than the dodge axle. Regarding the F350/450 I'm not looking to keep the duelie I want just a simple posi rear. As I earlier stated I think fabing in a 9" or maybe a 9.75" rear will work best for my hotrod aspirations. This also make rear brakes simple.

The hard part to figure out is what am I going to put up front
Ford used dana 60's as well.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:31 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That's the answer I was hoping I wouldn't get. Man, I know it's your truck and you can do what you want with it but it drives me nuts when someone takes a nice truck and butchers the he out of it. Like many on this board we started with rot buckets and searched for decent parts. I would have loved to start with a truck in nice, restorable condition. I hope you come to the realization that the truck is worth a lot in it's present shape and sell it to some one who will appreciate it as it is. What you want do to it would be a travesty, IMO.

I'll bet you could sell it as is and get enough money to buy a somewhat decent F-1 and spend the time and money on that to get it to what you want out of the F-6 with less money and time.

Even if you have sentimental value in the truck what you want to do with it will make it so different from what your friend had that I can't see how it will relate back to your friend.

Again, it's your truck, it's yours to do with what you want but I hope you reconsider keeping it stock. Sorry about the strong opinion but I just hate seeing a nice truck chopped up.
I second your opinion, Bob!

Old 04-28-2009, 04:39 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Oh Bob, I'm with you -I just have tears in my eyes. This is hitting me about the same as it would if Disneyland announced they were going to start holding Daily Political Rallies on Main Street!

Hey Vista,

Maybe a little female logic and coaxing might help you to see a different bubble here.

Ok First, we understand the sentamentality aspect - believe me, and it's a good one....Point one, this truck has some emotional holds on you - cool.

We also understand as a group - doing your own thing is what it's alll about.

Third, here after walking through litterally tens of thousands of these types of conversions.....we know how much work, time and money you are going to put into this conversion.

Forth, we understand that you would like to have an F1 type of truck.

So, why not think about this. For the kind of money and work you are talking about, you can buy and restore an F1 that is in fair condition. Then you will have your driver, that F1, and it will be fun to have.

Keep the F6 in it's original state -kind of to respect the memories and vision you have of it, and to give it "another life" in the form it was intended to work in.

That way you have the best of everything, and you will have two fine trucks to love, enjoy, and use - neither of which is Jerry Rigged, and each has that irreplaceable charm of an older truck in the form that it was meant to have.

It will be less expensive, the trucks will be better in their original configurations, and all your feelings will be fulfilled and more.

Or we could just track you down, tie you up, and ship you UPS in a box to Pago Pago and hide your truck from you!!!!!!!!

Trust me...Listen To The Voices...........

Old 04-28-2009, 07:42 PM
VistaGT
New User
Funny everyone is saying this because I just came to this realization today. The situation had something to do with me selling my 1987 Fox-body to a friend. In the pasts 6 months he's done more to it than I did in 5 years and it really made me want another hot-rod.

I've come to realize the F6 really isnt a hot rod but a cool full size truck. It's still a great classic and I'm going to keep it in it's present shape with the good 'ol flathead V8 and enjoy it for the beautiful classic that is is. BTW the V8 has only 34,000 ORIGINAL Miles!!! Don't worry I never had an intention of junking it haha.

So a couple new questions on this topic.
1. The truck has no bed, any ideas of what might be a cool back end to the truck?
2. I gotta be a little hotrod so I plan on adding headers. From what I've found reds-headers is the place to go. I want equal lengths. Will the headers make the Flathead V8 sound really muscular and hotrod, or not really?-It's a completely stock engine.
3. My friend used to complain about the brakes. Are the stock brakes good enough for cruising with?

Thanks so much for all the opinions. This forum is great!

Old 04-28-2009, 08:25 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
All I can say is Hallelujah!!! You've seen the light!!!!

Really, I'm personally glad you're going to keep it stock. It'll be a great old truck. One thing you have to realize is that there might be a problem with the wheels you have on the truck. Please read this page on my web site to see what I am talking about:

Ford two piece rims

Like I stated in one of my previous posts, the wheels are hard to find for these trucks although there are places that sell new wheels that will work on them. Search the forum for "Widow Makers" using my name and Truckdog. You'll find out all you need to know about them.

To address your questions:
  1. The easiest thing to do is find a nice flatbed for it. You can search for an original Ford script flatbed, they're out there you just have to look, or you use a newer bed that looks good on your truck. You could also find an enclosed box, which would be different, I've seen very few trucks our vintage with an enclosed box. You could also go with a dump body but then you'd have to rig up a hydraulic system. My number one favorite would be a wrecker body, I just think tow trucks are cool. It has to be a vintage wrecker body with all of the cables, lights and chains-very cool.
  2. Headers would enhance performance to the truck a little although you can never expect this truck to move too fast. There is nothing that sounds like a flattie with headers and dual glass pack type mufflers, especially after the packing is burned out.
  3. The only thing you can really do to improve the braking is make sure everything in the system is well adjusted. You should also make sure the truck has vacuum assist and it it doesn't you can add one. You could also change the rear axle out for better brakes but I don't think you'd gain much. When driving the truck just remember you're driving a big, heavy truck made when there was less traffic and slower speeds and drive accordingly.

You have to also realize since this is a bigger truck it is going to cost more for parts because they aren't that popular and not a lot of places have parts for them. You have to be creative when looking for parts but the first place is your local privately owned auto parts store where the people know what they're doing. You'd be surprised how many mechanical parts you can find at a good parts store. If the store is good and they don't have the parts you're looking for they should be able to give you leads to places that do.

Lastly, please don't take our comments too hard, I don't think you did, but it's just that most of us are very passionate about our trucks. We have a lot of blood and sweat into them and they mean a lot to us. You've found the best place on the web for anything related to old Ford trucks, stock or dark side. You will find all of the information you need about your truck here and you'll also get a lot of good time ribbing too. Be careful of some of the members though, they can be a little strange at time.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:45 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Funny everyone is saying this because I just came to this realization today.........
Thanks so much for all the opinions. This forum is great!
Yep! Pago Pago - Works Every time!

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-28-2009, 09:23 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,340 Likes on 1,102 Posts
[QUOTE=51PanelMan;7438659]Sorry to post it here since it's kind of off this topic, but I can't send a PM or email to keith1952f6.
QUOTE]
You can post a visitor message for keith1952f6
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/member.php?u=508311

Old 04-29-2009, 08:26 AM
VistaGT
New User
Yea, I'll have to check into those two piece rims-I saw the info on them

As far as out back I think I'm going to do a flat bed or a standard pickup bed. I definitely don't need a dump truck haha. And a wrecker??? Cool but no cigar!

As far as the headers I wouldn't even be getting them as a performance enhancer-at this point I'll enjoy the truck as being slow I want headers strictly for sound though I won't be upset if I gain a few horses. You think the glasspacks would make it sound better? I was considering just running open headers with a collector extension. I want a badass hotrod sound and from what you've told me the flathead can make that happen

The brakes I'll just make sure they're in perfect running order and take it from there

Lastly i didn't take any of the advice the wrong way. I wouldn't be here if I didn't want opinions-I appreciate them!

Old 04-29-2009, 09:11 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Here's a F-5 pickup that runs around here:

Just to give you an idea of what a F-6 pickup will look like, I personally like it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Difference between F1 and F6 (1952)