4.2 Parts source?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 12:36 AM
Squirrel Of Death
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 4.2 Parts source?

My '97 has no compression in one of the cylinders so I was planning on doing a rebuild, but I haven't had much luck finding parts that don't cost more than the truck is worth. I'm just looking for OEM or stock replacement pistons/rings, bearings and gaskets. Where is a good place to look for decent parts? I live in a somewhat isolated area so mail-order would probably be the easiest for me. I've already checked the local junk yards for replacement engines, but only one in town had a 4.2 with over 200K miles and was still asking over a grand!!!!

Thanks for the help!!

Squirrel of Death

Old 04-27-2009, 04:43 PM
T K
Freshman User
Before you rebuild it check under that cyl. valve cover for a broken spring, you might get off cheap. This can cause your lack of compression.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:36 PM
mustangman02232
Junior User
supersixmotorsports.com. they are a bit expensive but well worth it

Old 05-04-2009, 10:03 PM
Squirrel Of Death
New User
Good point TK, I've thought about broken valves or springs also. I need to do a clutch also since my throwout bearing is almost in pieces, so I was going to pull the engine to get to the clutch while I am tearing down the engine to see why there's no comp. I looked and supersix, and yeah, they are fairly expensive. My goal with this truck is to just get it running well enough to pass smog and get rid of it. Right now I have three other vehicles and the one fitty just sat, even before these problems, so it makes sense to me to just get rid of it.

edit.

I already have the engine out and no broken valves or springs but the throwout bearing is in a few pieces

Old 05-26-2009, 12:28 PM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
HI Squirrel, we carry alot of stock replacement parts such as clutch kits,headlights brake & rotor kits etc.Free shipping too.

Here's a link to the site if you would like to check on parts you may need.

1A Auto Parts

If you have any questions I'd be glad to help.

Tony