Sponsored by: Moser

Have you Worked on Your Ford Lately?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 04:03 PM
73FOMO
Fleet Mechanic
Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts
Have you Worked on Your Ford Lately?

Just curious to what everyone's been working on since Spring has arrived....

I have removed and replaced some rusty areas of sheetmetal, aligned panels, applied filler, and sanded, sanded, and more sanded....trying to get the cab forward ready for 2K primer and blccking while the humidity is low....I live in South Alabama and once late spring/early summer arrives 80-90% humidity is not unusual. Also getting ready to put in a new RCI fuel cell. A few shots of what I have been working on...

Old 04-22-2009, 04:07 PM
Jermafenser
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Rebuilding the fuel system. Fuel pump was bad, got a new one.

Going to put it on and see if it will solve the low volume flow. If not, it looks like I'll have to drop the tanks and see what's what and replace all rubber hoses. Not looking forward to it.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:27 PM
frdavid
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been doing an off-frame restoration since November. Lately it's been lots and lots of sanding a cab and bed in preparation for paint. I need to post pics of my progress.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:34 PM
dethomson
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recently converted my truck to hydroboost brakes and put on a replacement bed.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:40 PM
Bowtie_Schmowtie
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
73FOMO, what's going on with the center of your dash? You must have something going in there.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:05 PM
superduty79
Senior User
i just started to remove sheetmetal,, startin the process of a frame off....or at least thats the plan as of now,,,,,so far i have the whole front torn apart, inner and outer fenders front grill setup and radiator support ,,,,so far no bad rot and all bolts have come out without any issues ,,,so things are lookin good, im sure this year ill only make it as far as takeing it apart and reworkin the shhetmetal,,,if i make it that far and have everything in primer by summers end ill be happy with that. ill post some pics of the truck as things get interesting

Old 04-22-2009, 07:35 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Jermafenser
Rebuilding the fuel system. Fuel pump was bad, got a new one.

Going to put it on and see if it will solve the low volume flow. If not, it looks like I'll have to drop the tanks and see what's what and replace all rubber hoses. Not looking forward to it.
As you probably know already, there are sump filters attached to the end of the sending unit sumps. These can plug up.

As for working on my trucks, I'm always doing something to them, polishing, waxing, or fixing something.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:20 PM
73FOMO
Fleet Mechanic
Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts
You guys post pics of stuff your working on.....Bowtie Schmowtie....as for the welded center console there will be more gauges, ac controls for aftermarket air, a din size cd player, I just have the few critical gauges temporarily wired right now..temp, oil press., volts and tach. What were you thinking...something else? If you notice all dash holes welded and smoothed (no dash pad)....makes for an extremely clean and slick look. Can't wait to see finish coat on it. You will also notice the shaved doors, mirrors, and drip rails.

Dethomson....would love to see some pics and info on the Hydroboost setup! Maybe down the road!

Superduty79.....bodywork is just that WORK...and SLOW! Add about 6 months to what you think it will take you and you may be on target!! At least it's been that way for me! Stop and Start...the weather's not right, and on and on.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:07 PM
peganit2
Elder User
Been prepping my replacement cab. Took EVERYTHING off that can come off, worked on some dings and dents today.

I gotta wait for a bit warmer weather for painting and I have to I finish the addition on my house first. Maybe started a little too early on that, but I didn't want to waste the really good weather working on the house.

Good weather to be in the polebarn "working" on an old Ford today though, and not on the house. Chilly, windy and rainy.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:49 PM
76f350spercamprspeal
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
No I haven't.
But this just gives me another chance to show off my truck!

Old 04-22-2009, 09:50 PM
dethomson
Senior User
I plan to do a writeup, but I have to sort out my pictures and make some drawings of the brackets I welded up. I'm currently using an F-450 MC, but it doesn't allow hardly any pedal travel before the brakes really kick in. I'll get to the writeup after I switch back to an F-250 or 350 MC. There are also a couple other guys who have posted to the forums what they did on their conversions.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:00 PM
nkapphahn
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Just removed a 3" body lift off my 78 F-250 (from previous owner). Installed 6" lift system, replaced timing set w/ Cloyes double roller, replace timing cover and water pump at same time. Corrected accessory brackets - AC, power steering, alt, etc. Replaced cab bushings and hardware and got the body in proper alignment. Replaced all suspension bushings when lifting - custom made sway bar end links front and rear because they are not made for lifted applications

Old 04-22-2009, 10:20 PM
bigblockford_390
Elder User
I am going to replace the starter and battery cables on my 77 F-150 with 400 this weekend, weather depending as the nice spring weather here in Oregon could change to rain.

I also need to do a little work to my 65 and fix a fuel leak.

Jeff

Old 04-22-2009, 10:27 PM
CheezKake
New User
I infact worked on it just today. Replaced my fuel pump gasket on my '78 F-100. Gonna change out my lower driver side door hinge tomorrow.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:51 PM
Bgasrickshaw
Elder User
Swapping a 460 in place of the dead 351m in my 77 hi-boy. Modified the '86 bellhousing( was hydraulic clutch ) to accept old style clutch pivot ball mount. '86 externally balanced flywheel going in for neutral balancing tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Have you Worked on Your Ford Lately?