1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck
Old 11-11-2014, 05:45 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:
  • Lowering Kits
    Overview of popular modifications to customize your truck

Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Show Me The Low. (Lowered 80' - 86' Truck Thread)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 03:58 PM
MUSKRATT2
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Brewtl, what did you do with the front spoiler? I've been looking for one of those for my Dually & can't find one.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:23 PM
Brewtl
Senior User
It's sitting in my shed, I'm in two minds about selling it, or making a mould from it and selling copies.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:09 PM
MUSKRATT2
Senior User
Let me know.

Old 06-28-2009, 04:38 AM
Brewtl
Senior User
Some progress in the tub, new wheel tubs added along with the diff tunnel.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:49 PM
Brewtl
Senior User
Been lots more progress since my last post. Truck has left the workshop for another to get custom headers and exhaust. Couple more pics, and a quick vid for you to squizz at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMR4ZojsG8g

Old 07-26-2009, 06:29 AM
uncle.stosh
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looking good man.

Quick queston(s):

How do you ensure that you have equal air pressure to the bags on each side? Is there just one solenoid for the front and one for the back with a "T" fitting? I see a lot of different controllers with 2-3-4 solenoids. What is the purpose of more than 2 solenoids - to control each bag separately?

How do you set your ride height? I'm guessing that you just pump them up to a certain amount of pressure, but do you have to keep hitting a switch until the desired pressure is reached or is there some quick way of filling them to the same pressure every time?

I'm trying to learn about bags, but there isn't much info about how to operate them. I have the concept down. Just looking for some info on actually using them.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:11 AM
Brewtl
Senior User
Originally Posted by uncle.stosh
Looking good man.

Quick queston(s):

How do you ensure that you have equal air pressure to the bags on each side? Is there just one solenoid for the front and one for the back with a "T" fitting? I see a lot of different controllers with 2-3-4 solenoids. What is the purpose of more than 2 solenoids - to control each bag separately?

How do you set your ride height? I'm guessing that you just pump them up to a certain amount of pressure, but do you have to keep hitting a switch until the desired pressure is reached or is there some quick way of filling them to the same pressure every time?

I'm trying to learn about bags, but there isn't much info about how to operate them. I have the concept down. Just looking for some info on actually using them.
In the first pic of my last post, you'll see the 4 valves and the pressure senders where you guys normally run your brake booster. That's fed from the tank, and is controlled by a Dakota Digital system that has sensors for the pressure in each bag which all controlled individually. You can raise the truck to the whatever height you want, work out what pressure is in each bag then set the controller to pump the bags to those settings at the press of a single button. Obviously because the rear is lighter the pressures are lower, and because the effies have the engine offset from the center, one side needs a little more pressure at the front than the other. The system has high, medium and low settings, and you can manually override them if you wish. For engineering and rego, I need to have the system locked in so I can't manually override unless the handbrake is engaged and the truck is in park - such are the strict modification laws down here. You can also get height sensors that will pressurize your bags until the appropriate height is reached, irrespective of the load your carrying.

Check out the air ride control & monitoring products at dakota digital's site for more info. Another mob called AccuAir make similar gear too.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:13 PM
uncle.stosh
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow, it's a lot more complicated then I thought.

I was contemplating installing a cheap air bag system using OEM bags off of a Mark VII, but had no idea where to even start with the controls.

No wonder they charge around $2000 or more for the controller.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:22 PM
J1MMY
Senior User
Back from the dead with a question......

How're things moving with this Brewtl?

Shelved the Mustang II idea as it is considerably too narrow for the frame and so looking again for Jag IFS'. I take it you didn't have to narrow the frame at the front, just notch it to get the fit? (looking at the pics.....I think I asked this before but can't find the answer - or the question).

Old 08-26-2009, 12:34 PM
joelsdelone
New User
i bought a chevy. i am out. keep rid'n

Old 08-26-2009, 03:34 PM
Brewtl
Senior User
Originally Posted by J1MMY
How're things moving with this Brewtl?

Shelved the Mustang II idea as it is considerably too narrow for the frame and so looking again for Jag IFS'. I take it you didn't have to narrow the frame at the front, just notch it to get the fit? (looking at the pics.....I think I asked this before but can't find the answer - or the question).
Hey Jimmy,

Yeah, I'd go the Jag anyway, it'd be a nicer ride and the Jag unit is beefier and more suited I reckon. Frame wasn't narrowed, just notched as you said to accept the rails.

It's nearly there, custom headers are done, exhaust is done, panels minus the front bumper is back on, just waiting on the auto leccy who went on hols to come back and finish up the wiring. Putting in a Lokar floor shifter and some buckets out of a late model Falcon ute, then will do some more work when I get it home.

It's wearing some BMW X5 18" wheels I got for an utter bargain, until I can get the billet I'm after (thus the very narrow appearance on the rear, needs much less backspacing and a wider rim!)

Old 08-26-2009, 04:48 PM
J1MMY
Senior User
Looks awesome

Jag it's gonna have to be. 18's are lost in there!

Why the custom headers - have you also raised the engine and trans? (again apologies if you have touched on this before, just getting back into the project after a long while off it). Definitely feeling the floor shifter too - been drving an '86 suburban with a B & M and prefer it - odd given that its auto anyways.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:25 PM
Brewtl
Senior User
Originally Posted by J1MMY
Looks awesome

Jag it's gonna have to be. 18's are lost in there!

Why the custom headers - have you also raised the engine and trans? (again apologies if you have touched on this before, just getting back into the project after a long while off it). Definitely feeling the floor shifter too - been drving an '86 suburban with a B & M and prefer it - odd given that its auto anyways.
The engine/trans is in much the same position as it was (slightly pushed back, however the link between column and the steering rack fouled the tri-y headers I had on the engine. Could have modified the headers slightly, but I wanted 4-into-1 headers so went custom.

Old 09-20-2009, 12:58 PM
antunez13
Senior User
i know this is an old post but i thought my truck should be included.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:19 PM
mr.mischief
Junior User
hey brewtl, what kind of intake is that?

this is one of my plans, depending on what it's gonna cost to build a steering system around it.

& reverse valved shocks might be a tad pricey...

Quick Reply: Show Me The Low. (Lowered 80' - 86' Truck Thread)