6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

2008 V10 or 2008 6.4L Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 12:05 AM
jtcf250
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2008 V10 or 2008 6.4L Diesel

I have an F250 V10. Getting 9.8 in town hand calc and getting 12.2 hand calc on highway. Has 17000 miles. Plenty of power but I Hate the mpg. I had a 7.3L and loved it. I have an oppty to trade and I am not upside down. I am considering a 2008 6.4L Diesel (currently 8k rebate). Seems my mpg will go up with Diesel but not sure how much but appears it might go up by 3-4mpg Also seems mpg is a case by case basis based on info on this site. Most of my driving is in town then long road trips hauling loads every 6 weeks or so. Ive read some horror stories of the 6.4L but not many bad things about the V10. Just looking for some input, thanks for your time.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:30 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I run the crap out of my 6.4, I average around 900 miles/week. 85,540 on the odo right now.

It's the best towing truck I have driven. MPG's are usually like this:

Empty- 11-14 City 16-18 Hwy
10K load - 8-10 city or hwy, might eek out 11 or 12 going 55/60 mph.

Only problems I had were pretty basic and handled very well. Went through 2 radiators and lost an EGT sensor (there are 4). Sensor went bad when I was 700 miles from home. Pulled into a dealer in Panama City and they got me on the road very quickly. Radiator leaks are likely even with the recall. It's a slow leak that is easily spotted. I drove 5 or 8000 miles on my last one even though it was leaking. Just did'nt have time to get it fixed. All I had to do was be very aware of the coolant level.

Make sure all the recalls and ECM/TCM updates are on it and you'll be happy. The DPF cleanout cycle is not that big of a deal but you will notice it and it will make you think something is wrong even though there is not. The cleanouts are seemingly random, unpredictable, and take some time. Make sure you allow it to complete the cycles.

I'm sure your V10 is a great motor but the Diesel is my choice. I drove big gassers for a while and it's just not a towing experience I like to live with every day.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:42 AM
caprang
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jtcf250, how much weight are you towing? Im a diesel fan but it sounds like the V10 may be better for you. Diesels are not the best choice for short trips and town driving. Diesels like to get warm and stay warm. The 6.4 needs to regen and cant do that if its never up to optimal temp and stays there for a little bit. Where a diesel shines is on long hauls or heavy hauls. This winter I did mostly short town driving. My mpg was 9-10 and the truck started feeling sluggish. I had to take it for a longer drive to get it to regen and it seems better.

ruschejj gets good mpg for one of these trucks. There is a lot variance from one truck to another and we dont know why.....yet. Recently I have been getting about 10 in town, 12-13 on the highway and only 8 towing 10k pounds. Chances are you will land somewhere between my numbers and ruschejj's numbers.

I think ruschejj has better numbers than most because he uses this truck the way it was intended. Long 900 mile pulls with plenty of weight on the back.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:57 AM
jtcf250
Freshman User
Wow thanks to you both for the input. Summary; if my motive is to improve mpg it appears Im taking a chance as it varies and my V10 is getting what caprang posted... Maybe I wait till more bugs are worked out. Replacing radiators etc.. seems a bit much for a new truck and I travel late at night and don't need to be stranded... For mpg sake I should have kept my 7.3.... Other post are welcome as I collect info to make my decision.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:58 AM
jtcf250
Freshman User
I also ment to ask you both if your mpg is calculated?

Old 04-21-2009, 09:17 AM
R-T0r21on
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I get about the same MPG's as ruschejj. The impression I get about the latest reflash is that it's been good for some, not for others. The word I get from the Nutty professor from Spartan Diesel tech. is they DO NOT recommend it at this time. There are still some issues with it that should be fixed with the next flash, or even the one after that. I personally have not done it yet due to Nutty's word and the fact that my truck runs just fine the way it is. I say, if you like the diesel, get it. Avoid a lot of short trips, get it nice & warm and enjoy the smooth, quiet power!

Old 04-21-2009, 09:29 PM
blue ghost
Junior User
Originally Posted by ruschejj
I run the crap out of my 6.4, I average around 900 miles/week. 85,540 on the odo right now.

It's the best towing truck I have driven. MPG's are usually like this:

Empty- 11-14 City 16-18 Hwy
10K load - 8-10 city or hwy, might eek out 11 or 12 going 55/60 mph.

Only problems I had were pretty basic and handled very well. Went through 2 radiators and lost an EGT sensor (there are 4). Sensor went bad when I was 700 miles from home. Pulled into a dealer in Panama City and they got me on the road very quickly. Radiator leaks are likely even with the recall. It's a slow leak that is easily spotted. I drove 5 or 8000 miles on my last one even though it was leaking. Just did'nt have time to get it fixed. All I had to do was be very aware of the coolant level.

Make sure all the recalls and ECM/TCM updates are on it and you'll be happy. The DPF cleanout cycle is not that big of a deal but you will notice it and it will make you think something is wrong even though there is not. The cleanouts are seemingly random, unpredictable, and take some time. Make sure you allow it to complete the cycles.

I'm sure your V10 is a great motor but the Diesel is my choice. I drove big gassers for a while and it's just not a towing experience I like to live with every day.
45000 miles and mine does just about the same. Great truck.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:06 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My mileage numbers are not hand calculated. Yes, I use the "lie-o-meter". I find that it's pretty accurate but not spot on, neither is the hand method.

I usually fill up, drive until it is down to "25 miles to empty" and I know if I am getting below 10 mpg. It usually takes 25 gallons of fuel and if I get less than 250 miles on the tank I know it 'cause I feel like I just got in the truck. Also, if I leave my house and I can't make it to Anniston, AL on one tank then I am getting low numbers. Same holds true for leaving my house and getting to Brunswick, GA on one tank.

I'll hand calculate and report. I've never done it in this truck so I'd be smart to do it anyway.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:27 AM
jtcf250
Freshman User
Response to Caprang 'how much I tow'

My tow amount varies but on average not that much maybe 7000 but usually less. I have pulled a 12000 motor grader before and the V10 had no issues. also pulled 8500lb septic tanks out of pasture and it pulled great. my main deal has been mpg in town and long pulls of 7000 mpg is single digit 9's BUT sounds like the 6.4L may or may not get better than that. Just stopped a neighbor with an 08' and asked him; he pulls a boat and gets 9-10 and in town empty gets 10-12. My V10 seems to be hanging right in there with all the numbers I am hearing unless I get lucky and get a unit that gets more. Thanks again for your responses

Old 04-22-2009, 11:50 AM
sdrono
Junior User
JTC remember to a lot depends on your driving stlye and what gear ratios you run. I had an 05 250 with 3:73s which got 17-19 MPG if I kept it below or at 2k on the tach. When I would pull the 5er and boat I would drop to 9-11 depending on the wind (Kansas you know). I also would watch the boost gauge and keep it on the low side. I now have the 08 350 pictured in my avatar and it has 4:10s and I'm getting 13-14 unloaded. if I keep it below or at the 2K mark on the tach. I only have 3200 miles on the truck so I haven't pulled the 5er or boat yet. Will let everyone know when I do though. Here again on the 08 I try to keep the boost down when taking off.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:03 PM
jtcf250
Freshman User
agree driving style is part of it. I try to go easy and get the 10 in town and I have 4:10 gears. i could go maybe a little easier but not much. Your numbers look good so far regarding mpg if i knew I could get that id pull the trigger and buy the diesel... is your mpg hand calculated? thanks for your input

Old 04-22-2009, 03:37 PM
Carl Lassiter
Senior User
With 8k off and not being upside down I say go for it, especially if you can upgrade to an F350 SRW. The more power the better, juts make sure fuel tank mod and Venturi Tee have been carried out. They'll do short trips just fine, just make sure to take her out on the highway at least every 300 miles so the DPF gets a good clean.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:00 PM
gopedoligist
Elder User
jtc. i have had this argument with my cousin for 5 years now haha. he is a solid v10 supporter.. and i have always had diesels. iv had a 7.3 6.0 a cummins and now the 6.4.. and this is the best all around truck ever. and i can confidently say that if u tow anything.. u will be much happier with a diesel. u said u are getting rebates so im assuming your buying new.. if u buy a new truck it will be a job 2, job 3 or a 2009. the 2009's are good to go. and the 2008 will have the recalls done before u leave the dealer. and there simple. new radiator, and a reflash for the tranny and pcm. and they all work great. as far as milage goes... i have a job2 cc 4x4 3.73 empty i get about 11-13 in town. highway is the biggest variable... if i keep it around 65-67 i can pull out anywhere from 18-24 depending on wind and how level the ground is. but as soon as the boost goes over 10 psi it drops drasticlly! overall your milage will be better! and if your ahead on yours and this new truck would lower your payment.. then go for it. u will love the diesel

Old 04-22-2009, 05:37 PM
eightrac
Senior User
The reason why the numbers are so drastically different is because some are simply "fudging" the numbers because they thought they were going to get better mileage so are trying to convince themselves of the "good" incorrect mpg or they are using the very incorrect mpg calculator installed in the truck. I personally can attest to up to a 6 MPG error correction between the calculator and hand calculations. I have two nieghbors with 6.4L trucks. One a 250 and one a 350. They both hate the mileage and claim not to be able to get over 15mpg in any case. One says he's going to trade for something different as soon as he can do it.

Sure the 6.4 is a torque monster but most applications don't require all that moving power. I have the weak, non-PI headed V10 in my truck and have regularly towed 11k without a problem. I get 6mpg when towing that load and get near 13mpg on the highway unloaded.

To each his own though. I had a 6.0L pile of you know what. That truck cured me of any future diesel ownership.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:48 PM
jtcf250
Freshman User
Thanks for the input. ill admit my ignorance regarding job2/3 language. i assume this is the time frame in which they were built (job1 Jan 07, Job2 late 07 and job3 early 08) im just guessing... working to get my payment the same but currently not there its a little higher and with diesel a little higher im just not sure yet. keep the comments coming as im still negotiating and thinking. thing is i heard Valero will soon be putting a new diesel plant online which will add supply and im hearing diesel might go below gas where it belongs... from what i gather i need to get 3:73 or 3:55 not 4:10 gears... its rare i pull 12000 lbs. 85% of my driving is within 15 miles of my home in town driving unloaded and my route includes driving 50-65 mph to and from. i put v10 on cruise down this stretch and it helps assume it would be the same for diesel but as you say i need to air it out probably weekly for dpf clean process. bottom line i should have kept my 7.3 and flashed it i have thought about a cold air system. only thing out for 08' v10 is by airraid stage-1 that combined with mid grade or 93 fuel might get me the same mileage 11-12 in town that seems to be the avg for the 6.4l... which means i should keep what i have and my low loan balance

Quick Reply: 2008 V10 or 2008 6.4L Diesel