Turn Signals stop working w/ brakes applied

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 09:22 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turn Signals stop working w/ brakes applied

Just noticed this tonight.

While making a left turn, I had the blinker on and had the brakes applied and noticed the indicator on the instrument cluster was blinking. Once off the brakes, it took it a few seconds for it to resume blinking.

When I got home, I checked to see if the right signal did the same and it did. I also checked the rear lights and when the signal is on and the brakes are applied the light does not blink nor does it brighten up like they're supposed to when the brakes are applied, it stays dim as if both the blinker and brakes are off.

I did a quick search and couldn't find anybody with this particular problem. I have not checked any of the bulbs or wiring, but I'm thinking it might be the turn signal switch/ lever.

Any ideas of what the problem might be?

Old 04-18-2009, 02:37 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
TTT... Anybody?

Old 04-18-2009, 10:19 PM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hope this helps. Nearly identical problem in my 97 ranger. After some obvious parts changing and backyard diagnostics, my trustworthy mechanic got creative and went all analytic on me (must have enjoyed the challenge) and 75 bucks later disconnected my aftermarket trailer wiring harness that had a burnt chassis ground wire. Yet another reason to opt for motorcraft parts when possible.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:22 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
No aftermarket wiring harness on mine.

I checked it out today and I'm thinking it's the turn signal switch, so I'll probably be replacing it hopefully some time soon.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:03 AM
Move over I'm coming
Senior User
Before you waste money on that switch. Unless its the culprit. Try replaceing the stoplight switch under the brake pedal. I had a bad signal out of trailer lights and found that switch to be badly corroded inside. I believe it cost me about $15 at dealer.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:35 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
Update

Well, just to let you all know, I've replaced the turn signal stalk and all the bulbs and the problem is still there.

What else is there that could cause this? I troubleshooted and messed with some of the wires and when I would move the wiring on the rear driver side tail light the siganl seemed to work. What else could I look at along this wire for problems?

Old 05-13-2009, 06:28 PM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Still sounds like a loose or corroded ground wire to me, even if it's not related to a trailer harness. Check all related wiring for positive connections and disconnect and clean, then reinstall, any ground wiring present, if any. You might also check for moisture or water within the housings themselves which could create a ground fault. Good luck.
-Ed

Old 05-13-2009, 06:30 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by LMS Residential
Still sounds like a loose or corroded ground wire to me, even if it's not related to a trailer harness. Check all related wiring for positive connections and disconnect and clean, then reinstall, any ground wiring present, if any. You might also check for moisture or water within the housings themselves which could create a ground fault. Good luck.
-Ed
Any idea where these grounds are located?

Old 05-13-2009, 06:35 PM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
A lot of times, the metal housing of the tail light assembly acts as a chassis ground. Or you may simply want to remove the lenses and bulbs, clean up the contacts and then re install new bulbs. Just trying to think through the cheap and easy stuff b4 you open your pockets to a mechanic.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:40 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
A lot of times, the metal housing of the tail light assembly acts as a chassis ground. Or you may simply want to remove the lenses and bulbs, clean up the contacts and then re install new bulbs. Just trying to think through the cheap and easy stuff b4 you open your pockets to a mechanic.
I've already cleaned the contacts and replaced the bulbs but when I was messing with the wires of the driver side tailight it seemed to make the blinker work. I guess I just need to trace where the wires go inspect them.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:49 PM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
that would be my next step also. Wish I could be of more help here, it took weeks of playing around b4 I finally retreated to my mechanic for the ranger. In trying to think like him, you might want to also check any aftermarket electrical items that may have been installed, if any. I would have never thought of checking my trailer hitch wiring.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:51 PM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
more specifically, if you have, for example, a set of fog lamps, disconnect, test signals, reconnect and so forth.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:52 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
that would be my next step also. Wish I could be of more help here, it took weeks of playing around b4 I finally retreated to my mechanic for the ranger. In trying to think like him, you might want to also check any aftermarket electrical items that may have been installed, if any. I would have never thought of checking my trailer hitch wiring.
Electrical problems have got to be the worst problem you can get on a car. Hard to troubleshoot and pinpoint.

I might not want to mess with it and just take it to the dealership or a trustworthy mechanic.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:56 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
more specifically, if you have, for example, a set of fog lamps, disconnect, test signals, reconnect and so forth.
No, I don't have any aftermarket electrical items on the Excursion so I know it's not that.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:57 PM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Too bad you're not local. Andy, my magician mechanic, charges like 40 bucks an hour and he's great. Been using him for years. Watch out for dealer service pricing, labor here is up to 139.95 an hour in the larger dealerships.

Quick Reply: Turn Signals stop working w/ brakes applied