Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

the diablo chip

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2002, 11:35 AM
BabyGreenEyes324
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the diablo chip

Ok guys

I have herd of this Diablo chip.. what exactly does it do?
does it override all of the speedomoters or something? i dunno.....but i feel wicked blonde (but im not) so fellas if some one could tell me what that chip does i would really love it.!!!

Old 01-14-2002, 12:27 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
the diablo chip

It does the following:

It gives the transmission a more agressive shift by:
Increasing the line pressure in the transmission.
Changes the shift points. Controlled by MPH at partial throttle, by RPM at wide-open throttle.
Reduces the shift delay.

It adds roughly 39 horse-power and 42 ft-lbs of torque by:
Re-tuning the engine so premium fuel is required. (not just recommended).
Advances the timing.
reconfigures the air/fuel mixture (an average of 2% leaner).
Increases boost.

We've got 4-bank Diablo chips for most Lightning ECU codes which is a big plus (most other gas engines still have 1-bank Diablo's).

Old 01-14-2002, 06:01 PM
millerwb
New User
the diablo chip

That would put the 2001+ Lightning at 419HP. A really good bang for your buck. Unless I can see a real comparison, I am skeptical of the numbers. Another manufacturer of performance chips seems to just take the stock HP and add 10% for their reported "dyno" numbers.

Does anyone know of any real comparison numbers, 1/4 mile, 0-60, dyno before and after this modification?

Another question, what makes the four page chip better than a one page chip?

Old 01-14-2002, 07:02 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
the diablo chip

A one bank chip replaces one of the four banks of ROM on the ECU (the bank that contains the engine tuning). The four bank replaces all 4 banks.

It has three advantages:
1. additional tweaks like tire size and gearing are sometimes in the other 3 banks.

2. It is not affected by dealer reflashes of the ECU, meaning the chances that it won't work with your ECU are GREATLY reduced.

3. The chip programmer can concentrate on upgrading and refining one code family per ECU type instead of several.

As to dyno results.... it CAN vary. Some ECU codes don't do as well as others, but the vast majority do yield really good results. I used to be a big skeptic until I tried a chip, now I'll never run without it. Diablo tends to have pretty accurate numbers (example: Hot Rod Magazine did a dyno test of the PDQ/Diablo 100 HP kit for the Powerstroke and tested it at 97 HP).

I've had some ECU's show zero improvement (I suspect something in the system was keeping the timing retarded), other show GREAT results....

Old 01-14-2002, 08:21 PM
Wrenchman46
New User
the diablo chip