1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1955 ford f100 body colors

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 05:13 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Originally Posted by thechassisman
Snowshoe white is the correct color for the 55 wheels and grille also
So, how do you figure out what colors the wheels and grill should be? I'm ages from that point, but it would be good to file away. My truck was Sea Sprite Green...

Old 12-07-2010, 05:31 PM
thechassisman
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've seen this repeated several times in the last few years....... Snowshoe White for the grille, wheels, and parklight frames for the 55, and the hubcaps were argent color with red letters. go to FTE post at https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...tion-help.html Mark

Old 01-14-2011, 01:48 AM
das54
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Measow Green

Originally Posted by abe
It could be a mistake at the plant. Maybe it was built on a Mon or a Friday. My plate say 'R' for the color. 'R' in 1954 means Vermilion which is a Red color. My truck is and always was Meadow Green. Meadow Green in 1954 was 'U'. My Grandfather bought it new. Thinking the dealer may have painted it before it was sold I looked for signs of red paint in all the obscure places before I had it restored and painted in 1998 and all I found was green.

I think the guy that punched the data plate made a mistake. In 1953 'R' was Meadow Green so he may have been using the 1953 codes and punched in 'R' instead of 'U'.
I can't find a color sample or chip for meadow green anywhere. It's not show in the color cart for 54-55 colors included elsewhere in this thread and on ColorLibrary.com. I'm getting closer to painting my cab (yea) and might go with the original color but what's showing in the hidden seams and joints is a baby blue color. Plate matches the VIN and says color code U. Can anyone help?

Old 01-14-2011, 05:52 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Meadow Green can be seen in this link.
http://www.clubfte.com/users/earl/Re...aterial_2.html
It shows that Meadow Green had a paint code of U for 54 through 59

Old 01-19-2011, 12:08 AM
das54
Elder User
I found a good sample of Meadow Green on AutoColorLibrary dot com listed in the make=Ford Truck for 1957. They don't have any pages for 52 - 56 Ford trucks. Auto Color Library - The World's Largest Online Color-Chip Library

But the U color code on my 54 is still a mystery (to me) because the light blue paint on the inner surface of all the seam joints looks original. The current red was done in the 70s and included stripping all the way to bare metal except at the seam joints there is the light blue under the primer and red top coat. Anyone know what color primer Ford used on these trucks? Could the blue be some kind of primer? This photo is the [edit] left front fender to air deflector joint seam. All other joint seams are similar.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:51 PM
John55F100
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My truck has a redish - brownish primer.

John

Old 01-19-2011, 09:02 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Here you can see the primer under my original Meadow Green paint before I had it painted.

As I said earlier there could have been a mistake made on your data plate.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:06 AM
das54
Elder User
Abe, thanks for the idea (and every one else) - I didn't mean to sound like I was ignoring it. I'm just now getting used to the idea that the blue is not the original color. I've had my truck disassembled for several years and have thought the blue I found inside the joint seams was the original color but looks like not. When I was a little boy my folks had a 55 Chevy that was light blue or blueish green and I thought my truck would look good in that color (and be a bit nostalgic for me). But for one, I can't see any primer under the blue and for 2 it doesn't match even close any of the 54 truck or car colors. Right now it's looking like all the paint was removed by the previous restoration and for some reason the blue was applied but only at the seam joints.

SOOOOO, anyone have any photos of a truck painted with Neptune green (55H), Sky Haze Green (T54-55) or Sea Sprite Green (G55)?

Old 01-20-2011, 07:08 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Here is a Sea Sprite Green Truck.

It came from this article.
1955 Ford F-100 - Classic Trucks Magazine

Old 01-20-2011, 10:28 AM
das54
Elder User
Thanks Harrier. I saw that one elsewhere doing a search but didn't see what the color name was. Absolutely Beautiful but mine is going to end up more a driver than a show truck so maybe I'll avoid the bright color. It's definitely a "look at me - ain't I beautiful" paint job.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:49 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Sea Sprite Green was the original color of my truck. I'm planning on going back to that color when it is ready for paint. It sure won't be that fancy though. I plan on using mine as a truck.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:31 PM
cars2cool
Junior User
1955 Ford F100 body colors

If I can insert some pics here of my '55 and '56 I will. The '55 is the Y code mountain green with the snowshoe white cab roof and grille. The '56 is R code Torch red. I don't think this is going to work for me. Can somebody out there help me, I'm puter challenged!

Old 01-23-2011, 12:35 AM
das54
Elder User
Originally Posted by cars2cool
If I can insert some pics here of my '55 and '56 I will. The '55 is the Y code mountain green with the snowshoe white cab roof and grille. The '56 is R code Torch red. I don't think this is going to work for me. Can somebody out there help me, I'm puter challenged!
yes, I want to see 'em.

click on your user CP - left end of the menu bar at the top of the page
then click on "pictures and albums"
then click on "add album", give it a name and click on "submit" button
now click on upload picture
browse for the photo files, you can upload up to 3 at a time, and click on upload button

now you have the photos in your album
from here it is easy to do on other forums liek this but I found this one is kinda complicated.

What I have to do here is go to my album, right click on the photo you want, and click "copy link location"
Then come back to this thread, open a reply window, click on the icon in the tool bar that has a mountain scene in it (it says insert image in the dropdown description), and do a ctrl v to paste the photo location and hit ok. I think you can paste more photos the same way, copy link location and insert in the reply by pasting in the insert image tool.

Here is a link from this forum on how to do it assuming your photo is on the web https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...-pictures.html The first part of my description is how to get a photo uploaded from your computer to this form so you can copy the location address into a post.

Sorry it's so complicated.

Old 07-12-2020, 08:23 PM
hallfleming
Freshman User
Didn't want to start a new thread when there was a vintage one already going....

Have you ever seen "S" for the code on a 55 truck? I see in previous comments that "SS" was for special colors. My truck was a Federal Soil Conservation vehicle. It's green but I'm not sure which green. Here's the plate.

Old 07-16-2020, 09:29 AM
cars2cool
Junior User
'55 Ford F100 body colors

The 18M code might be a player in identifying the contract that the pickup was built for. Ford would of built a batch of pickups to that contract at one time, weather it be government or civilian fleet. I wonder if Ford archives could be of any help. If you can put up some pics of your pickup please.

Quick Reply: 1955 ford f100 body colors