1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Truck missing on idle.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 09:42 PM
delldude
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck missing on idle.

I have a 2002 F -150 XL 4.6Liter triton motor. I went to leave in it this evening and when i crunk it it is missing on idle. If you stick it in gear it really gets to missing bad and when you try and take off it is if you dont have all the power. Any suggestions.

Thanks

John

Old 04-13-2009, 09:53 PM
Taggert
New User
Throwing any codes? Anything changed recently? Coolant level in overflow bottle normal?

Old 04-14-2009, 08:33 AM
Bunggo
Junior User
I had a very similar sounding thing which is referenced here:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...e-changed.html

What it comes down to is that I changed all my spark plugs and bought 8 new COP's for $80 on ebay. They are cheapo's, but to get OEM ones are almost $100 EACH. Needing 8 is super pricey. I think we have pretty much the same engine, mine is a 2003. Give it time, I bet you'll get an error code soon.

Bunggo

Old 04-14-2009, 08:09 PM
delldude
Freshman User
Okay thanks everyone for there help. It did not have any error codes at all. It was bad plugs and one bad cop also i dont know what it is call but its inside the tube where the air fliter goes its that sensor it was dirty and they took a cuetip and some carb cleaner and cleaned the i think its called the air sensor. Tk runs awesome. Changed those out and walla. Runs like a singer sewing machine. Now i got another problem went to come home this eveing and truck acts like trans is slipping. When you get on a pull up a hill in overdrive truck starts vibrating and acts like it is missing. I just had fluid and flilter changed on tranny.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:11 PM
Bunggo
Junior User
Originally Posted by delldude
Okay thanks everyone for there help. It did not have any error codes at all. It was bad plugs and one bad cop also i dont know what it is call but its inside the tube where the air fliter goes its that sensor it was dirty and they took a cuetip and some carb cleaner and cleaned the i think its called the air sensor. Tk runs awesome. Changed those out and walla. Runs like a singer sewing machine. Now i got another problem went to come home this eveing and truck acts like trans is slipping. When you get on a pull up a hill in overdrive truck starts vibrating and acts like it is missing. I just had fluid and flilter changed on tranny.
I'm not sure if this is the problem, but sticking with the thread, it's possible you changed the wrong COP. My codes were reading an error on cylinder 6, but yet COP 6 was fine and one of the others was bad, I think COP 7 was bad. I don't know if this helps, just a thought.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:36 PM
delldude
Freshman User
Thanks for all the info, Bunggo. A good friend of mine owns his shop and had one of those computer that you hook to the truck and it reads out everything including fuel and all. He drove it around the block and the computer thing read it out. Thats how we found it. Now more problems though. Just my luck.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:57 PM
PerfDistIgnition
FTE Sponsor
[quote=Bunggo;7384599]I had a very similar sounding thing which is referenced here:

What it comes down to is that I changed all my spark plugs and bought 8 new COP's for $80 on ebay. They are cheapo's, but to get OEM ones are almost $100 EACH. Needing 8 is super pricey. I think we have pretty much the same engine, mine is a 2003. Give it time, I bet you'll get an error code soon.

Just for future reference:

Our new Ford COP’s, the Sultans of Spark(S.O.S.), have
been designed with both durability and performance in mind.
Please see them at:
http://www.performancedistributors.com/soscoils.htm
Quality was the main feature we stressed when we went to the
drawing board on these coils.
By the way, for those of you who only need to replace a defective coil,
our SOS Coils are available separately.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:38 PM
Octane
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bunggo
I had a very similar sounding thing which is referenced here:

What it comes down to is that I changed all my spark plugs and bought 8 new COP's for $80 on ebay. They are cheapo's, but to get OEM ones are almost $100 EACH. Needing 8 is super pricey.
$100??? Ive never paid more than $60 for a coil. Unless you are buying from a Ford dealer, there is no reason you should be paying that much for a coil.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:25 PM
mefrite
New User
Originally Posted by delldude
Does it do anything funny like on the highway with cruise on? Cuz that sounds similar to when my CPS went out. That sucked.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:23 PM
delldude
Freshman User
Good question mefrite,
I havent even used cruise. I will try that though. Only time i checked cruise out was when i first bought it. But i will try it and let you know how it goes.