help!!! with a 92 f150 2w

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 06:46 PM
xWICkEdx
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help!!! with a 92 f150 2w

ok maybe someone on here could help me. I have a 92 ford f150 2wd v6 4.9l
last wedsday night on my way home from work. My amps gauge was just jumping all over the places. and I could here a whisling grinding nosie in the cab but not under the hood. my one friend who works on my truck for me thought it was the alternator. so thursday I took my wifes car to work. then friday I took the alternator out and walk up to advance. They tested my alternator and said something was wrong so I got a replacement alternator. and I bought a new belt. Put it all in and drove it about 5 miles and back home with no problems. then I took my 2 nieces to the store and on my way back. My amp gauge started to jump around again. and my truck keep stalling and the run again like in a quick second. I mean every thing would turn off and on again Engine,radios gauge cluster. So I had my neighbor look at it. he tested my battery with some meter. and told me to take it to advances and have them test my system. So I went and on the way there was still doing it and on the way there my brake line busted. advances tested my battery start and alternator and every thing came out fine. and my truck is still actting up. What should I do or what should i look for. thing i been told already is voltage regulator which is not it beacuse mine is on the alternator. my ingtion switch. I dont think that could be it. or I am losing oil which only thing i am leaking is brake fuild. So does any body have a suggestion? I really need the help and before hand thanks

Old 04-13-2009, 11:31 PM
bmuhlbach
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
welcome to the site.check your batery connections your ground on engine, engine to body ground.there is also some wires on the starter to check. good luck

Old 04-14-2009, 12:10 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I would look closely at the ignition switch. They are VERY noted to be faulty in these trucks. Simple to replace, like $18. It's mounted on bottom side of column. Usually they just quit and won't let you start the truck, but they can also cut power to all accy's and make it shut off, etc.

Just my opinion.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:14 PM
xWICkEdx
Freshman User
thanks guys for responding.

Bmuhlbach - when I am checking the grounds what should I be looking for? and where is the ground on the engine. the starter is that the thing on the fender that has the to prongs you can put a screw driver on to start it? or is it on the belt assmbly?

Frieghtrain - is there a way to test and see if it is my ignition switch. or am i better off going and getting one. Some truck driver at my work said that might be it I did not believe him whoops. could the ignition switch also be making a grinding whisling sound? driver side in the cab i hear a nosie every onces and a while or countuisly.

I should of note I really am not a good mechanic. But a quick learner

and thanks again you guys

Old 04-15-2009, 12:08 AM
bmuhlbach
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
the ground wires should be tight and not showing any corruction.the thing on the pass.side fender is your soloniod the starter is on pass side of engine bolted to the transmission there ars some wires going to it.where are you at in Ohio?I'D agree with Freightrain on this with it being in the switch.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:38 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

That grinding/whistling noise could be the contact points "cooking". They are arc'ing out and that will make a noise like a campfire crackling.

Remove the cover plate across the bottom of dash/under column. The switch is right on bottom of column , right visible. Big plug with some large wires going to it. Takes a small socket to unscrew the bolt that holds the plug together. Never actually had one out, but saw mine when I put the remote start in it a month back. I needed to hook the control wires into that harness.

Here's a link to Autozone:
AutoZone.com | Vehicle Selection | Year

That was for a V8 truck, but shows it's $18.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:58 AM
lew52
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All the above info is good . Just want to add it could be a short in the battary . Same thing happened to me. Im not saying run out & get a battary but if you have another batt you know is good you could try it . Just a thought ..Lew

Old 04-15-2009, 03:17 PM
xWICkEdx
Freshman User
thanks for responeding again I will check the stuff you told me to do tonight when i get home from work.

Bmuhlbach I live in reynoldsburg,Oh. it is on the eastside of columbus

yesturday when i saw you guys post I did take off the bottom of the column but will be doing ever thing on friday when I get paid. I just want my truck running smooth again. because I hate driving my wifes car.
Frieghtrain your scaring me with saying my points maybe arcing. lol I let you guys know if I found out what happen thanks again.

ps Frieghtrain thanks for the link I Saw that yesturday when I saw your post i went out there thought it was that but was not sure. now I where thats at now. what year truck do you have?

Old 04-15-2009, 10:05 PM
deeznuts822
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Make sure the wiring isnt loose at the connector to alt also as these tend to be a problem,id take the alt back and put a different one on just to be sure the new alt isnt bad

Old 04-16-2009, 11:44 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

I have a '95 f150 302/auto, that I bought a few months ago. From what I've read in that forum, that switch seems to be a common problem. If you are having ignition problems, then for the money I'd replace it and see what it does. It controls power to EVERYTHING, so if it starts to fail, things don't work.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:10 PM
xWICkEdx
Freshman User
So today I got my brake line fixed but my first problem still remains i check the ground and put in a new ignition switch so I will have to wait and see If some thing else breaks but it is still driveable