1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

1978 Midnight Jade Ranger Explorer restoration.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 03:04 PM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just went back through it, and thought I would share this with you before you get it all together. You probably won't like the glossy green (welded in part) of the dash. I did mine in gloss, and get a horrible glare on the windshield. I am thinking of repainting it either satin or flat. Other than that, it sure is looking good!

Old 04-17-2016, 03:37 PM
shanes66charger
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought of that but after it was too late! All I woulda had to do was add some flattener into the clear when i sprayed it!

oh well.....I guess i'll just have to wear shades hahaha

Old 04-22-2016, 12:00 PM
shanes66charger
Laughing Gas
Got a few things to report.

Installed my NOS dash harness last night. Cleared all the crap outta thd way so i can tape and plastic off the door and window openings tomorrow wash the cab off since its finally gonna hit 70° lol

Then i can finish up a little bit of sanding i got left, fit the doors, final prime the cab, doors, and fenders asap so they can sit for a month or so and cure out!

During that time im hoping to find a rear sway bar and install it, get my front tank shield repaired and install the tank, figure out why my brakes wont seem to bleed, and if cash allows install the rough country 2.5" leveling kit, put the dash back in, get new rivnuts installed in the roof for the cab lights, battery tray.....

I ordered a carpet sample yesterday from a place i found on ebay, cant recall the name but it's like 150$ plus they make kick panel and door bottom sets for like 40$ each....

I need to start blocking out my hood too.....its a rust free used hood but she's got some hail dents and more than a couple layers of paint on it.....gotta get it stripped and get some poly on it!

Packing connections with dielectric grease before plugging anything in!

Pretty tight fit through the loom up top, didn't like how the sharp loom edge pinched against the harness so i put a chunk of loom wrap in the ends before i clipped it in.....

Same here, didnt want it rubbing on the left side....

Old 04-22-2016, 05:52 PM
shanes66charger
Laughing Gas
Dash is back in......gonna bag can now so i can wash it befire i finish sanding.....sat in shop all winter with nipco going.....thats not a huge concern BUT i did have an old maytag 2 stroke lit out here several times......could barely see in the shop lol........running a strong mix!

[/LIST]

I mean if ya don't love green.........ya got issues bahahahha

Old 04-22-2016, 08:45 PM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's looking good. Taking time on electrical is one of the best ways to make the truck more enjoyable once you get it done. Nothing more frustrating than chasing electrical gremlins, especially once all you want to do is drive it.

Old 04-24-2016, 11:29 AM
shanes66charger
Laughing Gas
Just a few thoughts of things i'd like to do down the road AFTER this thing is drivable.

A leveling lift for the front so it sits level.

Probably add the 38 gallon rear tank, not sure why I didn't go that route in the 1st place? I guess I have 2 tanks so maybe i'll skip this but who knows........

A Gear vendor overdrive OR a 5 speed, although I like the GV's ability to split gears on the fly under load. especially for pulling. As this truck will see some towing of our pulling tractors once it's done.

possibly a disc brake conversion on the 9" out back.

electric fans.....I'll be needing these IF I ever build the Supercharged 300/6 that I want......OR possibly drop in the 440.....OR the 460 that my lil bro decided he's not using....choices, choices, choices...

Maybe the 3G alternator setup....

For sure a receiver hitch....does anyone make a bolt on one fore these or do we have to make our own?

A brake controller.....

Old 05-25-2016, 02:49 PM
shanes66charger
Laughing Gas
Update! It's time to fit parts....ugh.

I got the doors hung and really close.

The drivers door needs to go straight up just a tic but the drip rail has a whoop in it so its hitting that. I'll roll that up a bit with the porta power.

The passenger door is nearly good too...but....this cab was clipped back in the mid eighties after a buck cam3 through the windshield and nearly tore the roof off!

So....the door opening is tipped back just a tic so the door is tight at the A pillar and a bit wide at the top back corner. Ill use the porta power to push the A pillar ahead just a bit.

Then its on to the fenders......bleh.....oh i got the hood nearly ready for body work too!

Not super tight here visually but its tighter than i want it on the inside...

Once I push the A pillar ahead that will bring the rear post ahead with it...

Hard to see but the drip rail has a low area in it...