Arizona Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

1951 F1 electrical problems resolved!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 09:16 PM
Special_Ed
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1951 F1 electrical problems resolved!

I've decided to restore my '51 F1 to original condition (exterior only). Inside I have a beefy Chevy 350, corvette cam, edelbrock intake, Carter competition carburetor, Magna-flow exhaust, 350 Turbo transmission w/355 gears and 8" Ford rear end. Oh, and 10" power assist disc brakes to stop the beast. Ford tough w/ Chevy stuff!
I quickly discovered it's preexisting electrical problems were both happily entrenched and stubbornly resilient. I knew there was probably some grounding issues but wow, I never imagined there would be so many. Well, it's taken a couple months but I finally have my lights working properly. Here's what I replaced and what I found. Perhaps this will help someone with their project.
Replaced:
Rear tail lights OEM style from LMC Truck (they were '56 ford).
Universal turn indicator unit (black).
Flasher and socket (3 pin).
4wire.
1157 light bulbs.
Added:
Fuse block (4 position).
Trailer light harness (future install).
20" ground strap.
8" ground strap.
Quick release battery post connector.
High beam indicator bulb.
1/4" split cable harness and cable ties.

Now the problems.
1) The negative battery cable was connected to the frame and had broken wire strands. Replaced battery post connector w/ quick release type, moved to engine block and added 20" groung strap to frame from block.
2) Rebuilt Universal turn indicator unit. Still hinky, replaced with new unit.
3) Replaced tail lights, bulb sockets were PAINTED on the inside! Dremeled them down to the metal. Used new bulbs.
4) Taillights were wired differently from each other (from factory). Green wire was high, black wire low on one taillight and reversed on the other taillight!
5) Wires were worn, replaced with new 4wire harness.
6) Fuse block had intermittent opens. Added new 4 position fuse block.
7) Flasher and socket (2 pin) had loose connections. Replaced with new flasher and socket (3 pin).
8) Added 8" ground strap from bed to frame. Will add another from cab to frame at later date.
9) The high beam bulb was missing. Now it's not.

Most important... It's working!!!

Sunday after church I'll start installing the working system (I built everything in the cab to facilitate troubleshooting and repairs). I will solder the connections and heat shrink to prevent future corrosion.

Well, happy Easter to all. Remember to thank God for all He's given us and don't forget to treat one another with kindness.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:49 PM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,697 Likes on 1,136 Posts
AHHHH gotta love electrical gremlins, I just finished a '95 F250 today, it came in for a trans change. after that I started in on wiring. one head light worked! after 3 days of chasing faults I had found; the insulation on the wire at the plug for one head light was gone, the fwd harness was chaffed through under the air filter, the transmission harness wires had no insulation on the last inch at each connector plug, the overdrive wiring in the column was pinched in the steering wheel mount, the connector at the tail lights was ripped apart.
when I called ford for a new transmission harness their reply was first "there isn't a harness for the transmission" than " that truck in obsolete" we can't get parts for it.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:52 AM
Special_Ed
New User
I think that in America we have mostly forgotten how to fix things and the satisfaction that goes along with a job well done (or well... done!). I work at ACE Hardware and the level of timidness in so many is shocking. But with a few pictures from a handyman book, a sketch on a notepad, people learn to not just "replace it". I do have a quick question for you. One tail light bulb shines less bright than the other. Ideas?

Old 04-11-2009, 10:04 AM
Bill W
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
check the socket for corrsion and check the ground on that one side
AND!!! Welcome to the Club!

Old 04-11-2009, 03:29 PM
bigunred
Elder User
Kudos on your under taking. I agree to many time things just get the fix it how ever for the time being bug. Or they just figure aw its actin up, so well throw parts at it till we trade it off. And welcome to our corner of the site.