So how would I work this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 11:17 PM
parks911
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile So how would I work this?

As I'm typing this, I'm wondering if anyone remembers who I am. And if they do, are they willing to assist by sharing the knowledge?

Anyhow, Some here may remember who I am & even remember that I am a OTR truck driver. When I was posting here regularily, I was just a normal company schmuck & didn't really give a damn about the companies money. Well.... Now I am the company!

I own a Volvo 670 & am trying to figure out an alternative powersource. Fuel is to damn expensive to idle.... APU's cost up around 10K & still require fuel, oil, belts, alternators, & basic maintnance. I can't afford the start-up on a basic APU system.... What I'm thinking seem relatively easy in my mind. The problem is.... Will it actually work.

I have a 4 battery 12 volt starting system. I also have space & have already installed another battery tray that will accept another 4 batteries. Now originally I planned to mount 4 12v starting batteries in there. Then running a 3500 watt refrigerator off all 8 batteries. But I'm afraid by doing that, I may drain the batteries to a point where I won't have enough starting power.

So now I'm thinking about running 4 deep cycle batteries with the 3500 watt inverter. I was thinking running a jumper from my starter batteries to the deep cycle batteries so they could charge while I'm driving 600-700 miles a day. But then I resort back to option #1.... That will still drain my starter batteries while being shut down for 10 to 12 hours.

A friend of mine told me about this little do-hickey that most of the RV's have. Apparently it is some type of crossover that connects the 2 battery systems together. Allows charging while the vehicle engine is running but will not draw power from the starting batteries..... I don't know if a such of thing exists & he couldn't tell me the name. I've searched for hours on google & really couldn't find anything similiar to his description.

Now I'm wondering if I can just run a lead off my engine alternator to the deep cycle batteries for charging.... But I don't know if I have the stud on the back of the alternator to do that... I'll check though! Damn electronic motors!!!

Does anyone of you have suggestion? Ideas? Well wishes of failure?

I'm only planning on running a 3.1 cubic foot dorm refrigerator, a small microwave, a small space heater in the winter time, tv & dvd system, and of course there is the electric blanket, laptop charger, & cell phone charger... So I won't be drawing a lot of power. The only thing that would be a continuious draw would be the refrigerator.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:23 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 997 Posts
Sounds like he was talking about diodes. A diode is like a check valve. Only allows current to flow in ONE direction. You'll have to talk to an electronic person to figure out the type and size.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:40 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,678 Likes on 1,356 Posts
Do a web search on "battery isolator". That will be what you are looking for.