Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Play in real axle...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 11:52 AM
Dean88
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With all do due respect they "stopped" the 9'' in 83, because that is when the 8.8 debuted, but I've heard of trucks until 1990 having a 9'' factory

Back to the RABS, my 87 and 88 both "have" RABS but neither have the VSS.

I do love Ford's ability to clean out the parts bins. I believe its one of the reasons Ford and the other two are having problems making profits because they really don't build rigs cost effectively anymore.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:08 PM
McLeod
Cargo Master
Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean88
I know you guys are talking about rear axles.
Some early models had the RABS sensor at the transmission.

**EDIT**

Upon further investigating I **think** I am wrong.
A speed sensor (-vs- an abs sensor) can be located on the transmission.
I don't know if you could have a abs sensor anywhere BUT the rear axle???

Last edited by McLeod; 04-08-2009 at 12:58 PM. Reason: correct an earlier statement
Old 04-08-2009, 12:12 PM
Opossum
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean88
With all do due respect they "stopped" the 9'' in 83, because that is when the 8.8 debuted, but I've heard of trucks until 1990 having a 9'' factory

On when the 9 stopped I've heard so many different answers, I don't rely on any it's just whatever it's got.

On the RABS how did they work it in a truck without a VSS? A VSS is very important to the function of an ABS system.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:14 PM
Opossum
Postmaster
Originally Posted by McLeod
I know you guys are talking about rear axles.
Some early models had the RABS sensor at the transmission.
That's just what I was wondering, do you know how it worked? Changing to that setup could be a good option for those with a VSS in the axle, who want to go with a 9"

Old 04-08-2009, 02:18 PM
993/4ton
Senior User
OK I will be going with a 9" then. I can get one from the wrecking yard for about 150 bucks. What are some things to look for on the 9" to tell if its good or not? I would hate to get one home from the junkyard to find out it's a steaming pile of *****. The Bronco is an Eddie Bauer, and it has RABS, but it doesn't work. I hope it will last another week, cuz I am broke until then! Thanks for all of the replies!

Old 04-08-2009, 02:45 PM
Opossum
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 993/4ton
OK I will be going with a 9" then. I can get one from the wrecking yard for about 150 bucks. What are some things to look for on the 9" to tell if its good or not? I would hate to get one home from the junkyard to find out it's a steaming pile of *****. The Bronco is an Eddie Bauer, and it has RABS, but it doesn't work. I hope it will last another week, cuz I am broke until then! Thanks for all of the replies!
Sounds good,

In looking, of course gear ratio comes first, do you know how to find this?

Second is condition, there's not much that goes wrong with a 9. Grab the yoke and give it a turn, is it smooth? Turn it back and forth, is there alot of play? There should be some, but not more then a couple degrees. Find a way to stop or have a friend hold one axle, while you turn the other. Same kind of thing turn it, is it smooth? You may find at this point a posi, that would be cool. And again turn it back and forth is there some play there should be some but not more then say 10 degrees.

If all that checks out you should be good, if you want to be real thorough you'll have to take it apart. Pulling the axles and then the 3rd member. You'll want to do this eventually to change the oil so you might as well before you buy it.

To pull the axles you gotta unbolt the backing plate. Then give the axle a good yank, a slide hammer or peice of chain is usefull here(bolt chain to lug and whip the it, works well). Then you can unbolt the 3rd member and pry it out of the housing.

This is the only downside of most 9" axles, you gotta go this far to drain the oil. But now you can inspect the gears and count the axle splines, should be 31 but some are 28.

Good hunting.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:25 PM
993/4ton
Senior User
Yeah, I know how to check the ratio. My truck has 3.55s according to the axle code on the door jamb. Ill post again after I find one. Thanks for your help!

Old 04-08-2009, 05:33 PM
Opossum
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 993/4ton
Yeah, I know how to check the ratio. My truck has 3.55s according to the axle code on the door jamb. Ill post again after I find one. Thanks for your help!
Thought you would, just thought I'd ask to make sure, ya never know.