6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

6.7 Ford Engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 04:03 PM
greggara
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lead Head
The 6.7 still has the injector pulse on the exhaust stroke...It still has a DPF that needs to be regenerated...
So the 6.7 is still going to heat the DPF to 700 degrees or whatever it is via spraying fuel on the exhaust stroke?

What is the point of urea and why would they even use it then? I was under the impression from reading about this engine that it is going to use passive regeneration with urea injected into the DPF.

Man I thought this engine was going to be more simple than the 6.4 pre DPF.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:25 PM
rob_nc
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by greggara
So the 6.7 is still going to heat the DPF to 700 degrees or whatever it is via spraying fuel on the exhaust stroke?

What is the point of urea and why would they even use it then? I was under the impression from reading about this engine that it is going to use passive regeneration with urea injected into the DPF.

The dpf will regenerate at lower EGTs (passively) in a NOx rich environment. With the addition of SCR, there will be less EGR which gives you less soot to oxidize and the NOx rich environment needed for passive regens. Soot oxidizes at 250C in a NOx environment whereas it takes 600C in an oxygen rich environment (active regens).

Old 04-16-2009, 10:23 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by greggara

The Urea injection and DPF have NOTHING to do with each other. They are two completely different parts of the emissions system!

The main components of Diesel emissions is soot, and NOx. The DPF only filters soot, it doesn't do anything about NOx. It needs to be heated to high temperatures to burn the soot off. The Urea is NOT injected into the DPF.

The SCR(device that uses the Urea) only converts the NOx (oxides of nitrogen) into pure nitrogen gas and water. It does nothing for the soot.

The emissions system will be more complicated then the 6.4. There is a bonus however. To get NOx emissions down, you use a lot of EGR. EGR really slams the mileage on Diesels. The SCR and Urea can easily deal with extra NOx in the exhaust, so the engine can be programmed to use less EGR then the older engines. I expect around 2 MPG more with the 6.7 from just the less EGR, never mind any other improvements Ford may do.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:16 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
I really wish Ford would have just put the Cummins in since they own the company. I guess its just the previous contract with Dodge that prevents this? Or maybe just saving face by not using "the Dodge engine".

Old 04-17-2009, 03:04 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cartmanea
I really wish Ford would have just put the Cummins in since they own the company. I guess its just the previous contract with Dodge that prevents this? Or maybe just saving face by not using "the Dodge engine".

Ford barely owns Ford. They most certainly don't own Cummins.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:45 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by origcharger
Ford barely owns Ford. They most certainly don't own Cummins.
I thought I heard that somewhere... my bad.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:53 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cartmanea
I thought I heard that somewhere... my bad.

Its a rumor that won't die.

Around 1990, Ford did own around 10% of Cummins but they sold their interest quite some time ago.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:07 PM
Big Bad
Elder User
Originally Posted by icrman
I hate to rain on the parade, but from the few things I have found out about this new engine, its looking like its going to be more of a problem than the 6.0 and 6.4 put together.
Why? Aluminum heads?

Old 05-09-2009, 01:00 PM
montymbad
Freshman User
Im going to throw my 2 cents in here. You wont find a single diesel with less problems or as long of a life as the old ones. THe old 6.9 and 7.3 pre turbos had far fewer problems and way longer lifes. The reason is simple. People want more. More hp, more torque. The companies respond and the engines that could become the engines that blow up. You have engines with smaller displacements kicking out 2-3 times the power. Your going to find the weak link far sooner. I understand that a good part of it is effieciency. But you still have the higher cylinder pressures due to turbos and the higher egts (I believe the new ones have higher egts than the old if not please correct me.) If you take an old ford 300, the thing was bullet proof in stock trim, start adding go fast goodies, after a while you get your 350hp, but at what cost. Instead of getting 300,000km on it you get 180,000km. Like I said just my 2 cents. People want more but they dont want to give anything up, if you want more power deal with the problems. The emmisions just tend to exasberate things even more.

Monty

Old 05-09-2009, 06:27 PM
19661998f1
Freshman User
With all the money Ford is spending on designing a new diesel, wouldent it be great to see a Caterpillar in there? What a selling point...Cat C7 out of the box with 900 lbs. of torque,let Cat deal with all the smog stuff,they already have all the parts on the shelf,and I would pay alot more for for a good truck with a good engine,look at the choices Detroit is giving us,

Ford- good truck, bad diesels
Chev/GMC- girly truck,decent engine,weak suspension
Dodge-Good engine, crappy truck

No wonder they are it trouble!

Old 05-09-2009, 09:32 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You don't know what you're talking about. That is all I am saying.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:19 AM
dieseltorkin
New User
If you read more into the 6.0L problems. Most were caused by competition for short. Ford needed an answer to chevys duramax and the 7.3 wouldnt make emissions standards. Ford put pressure on Navistar to get the motor out, Navistar inturn hired german engineers half way through the development process to help with the design. Everything was rushed through due to the time line ford gave Navistar. The problems with the early 03 and 06 6.0's with the HPOP and Turbo were mostly at faults of the german engineers. They designed these items with german petrolium products in mind. There diesel is closer to our Kerosene, everything there is refined futher. The xtra soot from the higher sulfer diesel caused the problems with the turbo and some of them with the injectors. If you know anything about fluids, its all about compatability! Try putting Mercron 3 in a ford tranny designed for SP and see what happens!

Old 05-12-2009, 10:04 PM
letsroll93
Senior User
Originally Posted by dieseltorkin
If you read more into the 6.0L problems. Most were caused by competition for short. Ford needed an answer to chevys duramax and the 7.3 wouldnt make emissions standards. Ford put pressure on Navistar to get the motor out, Navistar inturn hired german engineers half way through the development process to help with the design. Everything was rushed through due to the time line ford gave Navistar. The problems with the early 03 and 06 6.0's with the HPOP and Turbo were mostly at faults of the german engineers. They designed these items with german petrolium products in mind. There diesel is closer to our Kerosene, everything there is refined futher. The xtra soot from the higher sulfer diesel caused the problems with the turbo and some of them with the injectors. If you know anything about fluids, its all about compatability! Try putting Mercron 3 in a ford tranny designed for SP and see what happens!
German engineers did not design the fuel system. I work for the company that did. Got some India fellows around here but I haven't seen hide nor hair of any Germans. And sulfur contributes to the problem? Hmm, here our engineers had huge projects and money and time invested in addressing the ultra low sulfur fuel. Dang if they were looking at the wrong thing!! Son of a gun!

Old 05-31-2009, 04:54 PM
Deereman75
New User
Future Diesel Engines

Ford needs to take themselves out of the box on these V8 Diesels. They need to focus on a truly reliable Diesel Engine, a six cylinder in line with a single turbo with the ability for more power if it is desired.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:30 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Just curious, what makes you think a single turbo inline 6 more reliable then a twin turbo V8? ...Because as far as I know, some of Cummins's, Cat's and Detroit's strongest most reliable diesels were V8s, V12s, V16s and V20s, with two or even four turbos.

Quick Reply: 6.7 Ford Engine