Sponsored by: DP Tuner

oil level in hpop?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 10:50 AM
shark1979
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil level in hpop?

i have never changed or checked the level in the pump. should i check change or not worrie about? how do i change and check it?

Old 04-05-2009, 11:25 AM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I always suck mine out during a normal oil change.. I use a hand liquid pump like this one... Liquivac
There is about 28 oz of dirty oil you can extract.. Then refill with fresh oil to about 3/4" from the top of the housing..

Old 04-05-2009, 11:25 AM
SuperDoodie
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You cannot change the oil in the pump, the oil flows thru it as your run your motor. Just stay on top of good service intervals and you don't have to worry.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:28 AM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by SuperDoodie
You cannot change the oil in the pump,
Not really true..Just remove the fill screw on top of the housing and suck out the dirty oil... Again, i use a http://www.liquivac.com/index.php?a=1

Old 04-05-2009, 11:41 AM
Billyclub
Senior User
I changed mine last week. used a Outboard lower unit oil change pump. about $15 at your local marine store. The oil I removed was not even close to be as clean as the engine oil. Don't over fill the resevoir cause it will just go into the oil pan. I also added some Lucas oil treatment to the resevoir. was really easy and only took about 15 minutes. I would suck out as much as I could and then refill the res. run the motor after for about 10 minutes and then repeat the same process 3 times.
Make sure you replace the plug when you go to start the motor or else oil will go everywhere.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:48 AM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Billyclub
I changed mine last week. used a Outboard lower unit oil change pump. about $15 at your local marine store. .[/I][/U][/B][/SIZE]
That is a great idea.. I am guessing you just use the pump after removing it from its original bottle and insert into the housing fill hole and start pumping..
Do you have to modify the pick-up tube to get to the bottom of the housing?

Old 04-05-2009, 11:55 AM
shark1979
Elder User
where is this pump how hard is it to get to. shouldn't the oil from the pan run though this pan so by changing your oil you really change the pump oil? or iam in way wrong??

Old 04-05-2009, 12:16 PM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by shark1979
where is this pump how hard is it to get to. shouldn't the oil from the pan run though this pan so by changing your oil you really change the pump oil? or iam in way wrong??
It is pretty simple... Just remove the black plastic cover, (2 cap nuts) which is covering your fuel filter and hpop.. Remove the small fill screw (i think it is a metric allen wrench type) on top of hpop which is somewhat square and flat on top..
THe old oil will just stay in the hpop when you do a oil change from the engine pan.. there is a check valve in the pump that holds the oil from draining out.. So you are leaving nearly a quart of dirty oil in the oil system if you don't suck it out during your normal oil change.....

Old 04-05-2009, 12:26 PM
87 F-150 I6
Posting Guru
I also pump it out and I know it will get cycled when the engine is running, but why mix fresh oil with dirty oil, its not hard to change. You will want to fill the hpop back up or the truck will not start until the LPOP fills it up. I don't think you want to use Lucas oil additive as it makes the oil thicker, I haven't heard of it gumming up the injectors but I don't want to find out.

Old 04-05-2009, 01:02 PM
SuperDoodie
Elder User
Originally Posted by clintbonnie
Not really true..Just remove the fill screw on top of the housing and suck out the dirty oil... Again, i use a Liquivac
Oh ok, I must be confused.. Since he asked about changing the oil in the PUMP (not the resivour), you might point out the screw you are talking about in this picture.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:35 PM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by SuperDoodie
Oh ok, I must be confused.. Since he asked about changing the oil in the PUMP (not the resivour), you might point out the screw you are talking about in this picture.
Well, i think he was just generally referring to the pump and not specifically talking about the PUMP.. The reservoir is what you would normal suck out. The fill screw is not in your pic.. It is in the top of the reservoir...

Old 04-05-2009, 02:53 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by shark1979
You're not wrong. Oil from the pan gets pumped through the high pressure oil system, then returned to the pan. If you decide to suck a quart out of the HPOP reservoir during the oil change, that just means you're changing 16 qts of oil instead of 15. Even if you do this, you'll still end up with some of the old oil in the rails, so you won't be able to get all the old oil out, but some like to change as much as they can.

When people started talking about this, I decided to pump the oil out of my HPOP reservoir. This was the first time in 260,000 miles I had even removed the plug there. I sent off a sample to a lab to have it anaylized. I won't be wasting my time doing that again. The oil flows through there well enough, so 15 qts at a time is good for me.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:18 PM
SuperDoodie
Elder User
Originally Posted by F350-6
You're not wrong. Oil from the pan gets pumped through the high pressure oil system, then returned to the pan. If you decide to suck a quart out of the HPOP reservoir during the oil change, that just means you're changing 16 qts of oil instead of 15. Even if you do this, you'll still end up with some of the old oil in the rails, so you won't be able to get all the old oil out, but some like to change as much as they can.

When people started talking about this, I decided to pump the oil out of my HPOP reservoir. This was the first time in 260,000 miles I had even removed the plug there. I sent off a sample to a lab to have it anaylized. I won't be wasting my time doing that again. The oil flows through there well enough, so 15 qts at a time is good for me.
This is exactly the point I was trying to make.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:15 PM
powerstrokeforever
New User
Arrow

Go to powerstrokehelp.com look in the 7.3L folder and watch the 4 vids on fuel injection tune up. POWERSTROKEHELP.COM - The Information Source for Ford Power Stroke Diesel Owners that will get you there. Bill hewitt has a ton of experience with these engines, I know for a fact the oil does not move through the HPOP resevoir very well. You can do an oil change, then run the engine for a week. You will still suck out dirty oil a week later from the HPOP res. Even if the oil sample is good, How long will it stay good? It is so easy to do, why would you not? Better to be safe than to buy injectors sooner

Old 04-05-2009, 09:43 PM
87 F-150 I6
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by powerstrokeforever
Bill hewitt has a ton of experience with these engines
NOT!!!!

Some of his info is ok, most of what he says is pulled from you know where.

Quick Reply: oil level in hpop?