Sponsored by:

My 1978 Bronco project

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 06:36 PM
American Thunder
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by helirich
This is ausome. I just found this write up after seeing your name on another thred. How short is the rear driveshaft? Shorter than stock?
I'm testing a stock length one, but I think it may be a hair too long, so I will probably end up shortening it. I have to account for spring wrap under hard acceleration, which brings the pinion up higher, as well as the normal flex of the springs, so I have to make sure there's room for compression on the driveshaft.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:40 PM
helirich
Posting Guru
You may want to try some above spring traction bars for the axle rap. Have you weighed the truck since you got it running? I like the paint sceam.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:39 AM
American Thunder
Elder User
I thought about some type of traction bars to control spring wrap, that would certainly make the ujoints last longer. Especially since I enjoy launching the truck from an occasional stop light.
I'm just not sure if traction bars can be set up so that they don't interfere with the suspension travel.

Not weighed yet, but the title says 4000 lbs. Assuming that's dry weight, and considering the Cummins added 200-250 lbs, operating weight might be up around 4600-4800 now.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:08 PM
American Thunder
Elder User
I got sick of messing with the new driveshafts for it, and just made one from pieces I had laying around the shop. I swapped in a newer 1330 t-case yoke and built an entire driveshaft using the bigger 1330 u-joints and larger double cardan. Hopefully this one holds up to the abuse.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:10 PM
American Thunder
Elder User
I sure would like to plug in the 4x4 indictor light wire, the only problem is,(and I feel sort of dumb) I can't find the switch on the t-case, even when I cleaned and painted the damn thing. I see no sign of it ever having the switch anywhere.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:17 PM
AbandonedBronco
Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts
Maybe the 4x4 light indicator is in the linkage for the shift lever and not the TC itself? I haven't looked fully into mine, so I am just guessing.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:54 PM
American Thunder
Elder User
I thought about that, but I saw nothing when I cleaned and painted the shifter linkage either. On an exploded view of an NP205, I saw the switch, looked like it screws in from the top, but I don't see any provision for it on my case.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:39 PM
78BroncoMP
Junior User
Can't wait to see the final product with the battleship paint job. Check out LandLproducts.com for the ladder bars.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:51 PM
helirich
Posting Guru
How is it for power? I seem to remember you are changing the turbo or somthing. Does that mean you are not satisfied? It would seem that it would have plenty. Of course your other toy (Mustang) is hard to compaer with. How does it compare with a stock Bronco? I've always heard that a Deisel needs more gears than a gas engine. (because of limited rpms) Are you happy with the C6?

Old 12-16-2009, 12:09 AM
American Thunder
Elder User
With the Cummins running bone stock, (other than advancing the injector pump timing by 1/8 inch) my Bronco with the 35" tires, 3.50 gearing and C6 auto was noticeably quicker than my (ex)wife's bone stock '96 351 Bronco with 3.55 gearing and E4OD.
The C6 shifts into 3rd gear at 26 mph, and since there's no kick down rod, even if I stand on the throttle, it will stay in 3rd. The stock Cummins had so much torque, it would accelerate quicker than the 351 without downshifting.
It's interesting that you ask about its power, as today I got around to installing the 3200 rpm governor spring(366 part), a Denny T fuel pin, and I turned in the full load fuel screw 3 turns. It required taking apart the injector pump, but not a huge deal. Est. hp is now 250-270, and torque is 650-700 ft/lbs.
Yes, I'm used to driving my mustang, and it's pretty quick, but the Bronco isn't all that much slower now. The power of this truck is ridiculous. It will spin the tires in 1st gear like nothing, shift into 2nd, stand on it, and they spin again, shift into 3rd and they finally hook up, and the truck *really* moves, leaving some black smoke behind.

Rear driveshaft I made from some parts. Also a good spot for performance stickers.

New 3200 rpm governor spring for the Cummins. The truck no longer starts defueling after 60 mph, the way it did when it was stock.

It's making twice the torque of a 351W, and 50 more hp, so you get an idea of the acceleration. I will make some videos of the truck this week.
Next I plan to install an intercooler (from a 7.3 powerstroke), an intake manifold from a heavy truck 5.9L Cummins and a cold air intake tube. That will lower the exhaust temperature enough so I can turn up the fuel a little more.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:56 PM
kshaneh
Senior User
subscribing.. nice truck u got there man

Old 12-22-2009, 01:15 PM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
American Thunder, Good job. I was never a fan of diesel engines especially dodge, but I may change my mind. It looks real good in there. I believe you used a body lift, how good would the fit be in an original like my 79? I'm not able to climb up in those lifted bodys. would the fit be to tight? thanks JIM

Old 12-22-2009, 05:02 PM
American Thunder
Elder User
Originally Posted by jim collins
American Thunder, Good job. I was never a fan of diesel engines especially dodge, but I may change my mind. It looks real good in there. I believe you used a body lift, how good would the fit be in an original like my 79? I'm not able to climb up in those lifted bodys. would the fit be to tight? thanks JIM
Thanks! I love the Cummins powered Bronco..

I'm sure the Cummins would fit without a body lift, it would just be a lot tighter, especially around the firewall. A 4BT Cummins would be an easier fit than the 6BT.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:34 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
ive been transplanting 6.9 idi s in all my old fords just because its all i could afford, man if i had the money i sure love cummins! i would do it in a heartbeat! heck if i was a chick i would even ask you to marry me! hehehe

Old 12-23-2009, 09:39 AM
Broncoholic1
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by b-uno
heck if i was a chick i would even ask you to marry me! hehehe

Quick Reply: My 1978 Bronco project