1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

punkshuation

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 12:00 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
...what if it had a huge big long step by step process hook this wire up here but not before disconnecting the battery make sure the ground is connecte dand then short the field wire to a good ground make sure when reconnecting the ground wire that its going to bare metal and not a painted surface poor and faulty grounds ar ethe leading cause of electrical gremlins in these old trucks and newer cars alike now lets all have a frosty beverage and get on with it have a good day

Bobby
Works for me!!!

BTDT

Old 02-06-2011, 12:37 PM
tardster
Elder User
Its not about withholding info to be spiteful. If I could make it all the way through the posting and could understand waht he was asking I would definately asnwer the question.

There are times when I'm reading posts where I might be tired, or having one of those days were patience is wearing thin, or I'm just grumpy and the posting doesn't have any punctuation and is just a random string of words. On those occasions I just hit the back button and go one to something else. Sure I might have been able to help, if I could have understood.

Think about this; how much help would the answer be if it were posted in the same fashion? When people ask questions those people answering do their best to be clear, concise, and understandable it just wouldnt do anyone any good to make and answer that couldnt be read that had multiple facets and needed detailed explanations what if it had a huge big long step by step process hook this wire up here but not before disconnecting the battery make sure the ground is connecte dand then short the field wire to a good ground make sure when reconnecting the ground wire that its going to bare metal and not a painted surface poor and faulty grounds ar ethe leading cause of electrical gremlins in these old trucks and newer cars alike now lets all have a frosty beverage and get on with it have a good day

Bobby
Actually it is being spiteful. I don't think I've ran into a post that was just so horrible with misspellings and no punctuation that it couldn't be understood, (yes that means I even understood your attempt of trying to make it hard to understand what you were saying). These forums are a place for us to help each other. Yes there may be someone out there you don't like, but not to help someone because they don't spell correctly or forgot to put a period here or a comma there is ridiculous. That could be putting someones safety at risk and thats not cool just because you might be tired, or having one of those days were patience is wearing thin, or are just grumpy...

Old 02-06-2011, 12:38 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I tend to pass over the posts that are rambling on. I don't think it's asking too much to be able to properly use the English language. There was a guy on the Ford Barn that went by the name of Ol' Jim, the guy would randomly capitalize letters in the words he typed, I have no idea how he was able to do it without going out of his way to do it, but his messages, while informative, were extremely hard to read. After a while I would just pass on any post he made.

I don't think we're asking too much to expect poster to be clear in their posts. I don't expect everyone to be a William F. Buckley but you should be able to know basic grammar and know how to use a period, comma and capitalized letters to post a coherent message. All it takes is a misplace or omitted comma to make the message mean something completely different, without any the message is pretty much useless. No matter what some people who run this country think, this is the best country in the world which has spent an enormous amount of money on eduction in the 60+ years. In my opinion, no one under the age of 50 should not be able construct an intelligible sentence, unless you have some form of disability that makes it difficult to do so. If you can't then you've wasted 50 years of your life.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:06 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
I can see this is going nowhere fast.Individual opinions aside, it is not my solemn duty to respond to, nor am I responsible for the safety of, those individuals who can't properly capitalize, punctuate, or construct a readable sentence.Actually,no one is referring to the occasional missed comma, but rather the pervasive refusal of some to make any attempt whatsoever, at using basic 7th grade level writing skills, as in Bobby's example.Quite the opposite, I feel They are being spiteful to Me, by subjecting me to it.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:31 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by ibuzzard
I can see this is going nowhere fast.Individual opinions aside, it is not my solemn duty to respond to, nor am I responsible for the safety of, those individuals who can't properly capitalize, punctuate, or construct a readable sentence.Actually,no one is referring to the occasional missed comma, but rather the pervasive refusal of some to make any attempt whatsoever, at using basic 7th grade level writing skills, as in Bobby's example.Quite the opposite, I feel They are being spiteful to Me, by subjecting me to it.
Excellent points!! Especially the part about "no duty". Helping someone on here is entirely voluntary, it is a favor to the person being helped, not some obligation. Responding to some questions takes a fair amount of time and research that the original poster could just as easily have done (in many cases), time away from your own projects/problems and whatever else is going on in your life.

It always amazes me how many questions on here are asked without the OP even bothering to go out and look at the damn truck first, or doing a Search, and without doing any preliminary investigations. There have been a number of "no start" threads that have gone three pages before the OP notices that a wire is disconnected from his coil, or ignition switch, or whatever. It's a waste of our time.

But I do also agree, the intent of this thread has been met. We don't need to beat it to death or it will start hurting feelings unnecessarily.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:41 PM
tardster
Elder User
Originally Posted by ibuzzard
Your right this is going nowhere. I guess its a good thing most of us have better morals than that, because if we all followed this type of thinking we would be in deep s**t. I have always believed if you can help someone, you help them. No questions, no you have to do this or I won't help you, because it might offend you to have to do something, but then again I guess people aren't what they use to be...

Old 02-06-2011, 02:45 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I apologize if I have come off as a snobby jerk but there are many things in my life I cannot afford but using the English language properly isn't one of them. In my early years I had problems communicating clearly and was made fun of. Even now I have troubles but when posting I try my darnedest to be clear. I go through my posts numerous times to try to catch mistakes, I don't always catch them all but I try. I try very hard to make myself clear in written and verbal communication and it irritates me to see people not take care when speaking or writing.

It's just me, I guess. I done and will move on to the next post.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:58 PM
tardster
Elder User
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
I apologize if I have come off as a snobby jerk but there are many things in my life I cannot afford but using the English language properly isn't one of them. In my early years I had problems communicating clearly and was made fun of. Even now I have troubles but when posting I try my darnedest to be clear. I go through my posts numerous times to try to catch mistakes, I don't always catch them all but I try. I try very hard to make myself clear in written and verbal communication and it irritates me to see people not take care when speaking or writing.

It's just me, I guess. I done and will move on to the next post.
I truly understand what you guys are saying, I just don't think a person should withhold something that can help someone because of something silly like spelling or punctuation, especially here in a forum where we supposedly are here to help. I was never great at school, had problems with grammar and was made fun of as well, so by no means am I perfect. It has taken me 40 years to get this far so I try to give others the benefit of the doubt...

Old 02-06-2011, 03:09 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
In all seriousness, it seems to me we are all reading into this thread a little too much.

The point is to not be too lazy when posting either a question or answer. It's nobody's fault if they can or can't do or say something, but effort can go a long way. Heck, I for one, leave out words entirely because that's how we all do it in my hometown. As an example, I say " Coming with?" Everyone around me knows exactly what I'm referring to. But my wife, who is from NY, will ask me what I mean. Coming with me to go downtown?, coming with a bag in hand? coming with friends? etc... She will say the same thing as, "Coming with me?" Hard to explain, but it's that we're all different. To be the same, we all would have to have the exact same teachers growing up. And we know that is impossible.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:56 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,831 Likes on 1,833 Posts
I never said I withheld info, what I said was, if I can't understand the post, I move on

This horse is dead, I'm putting the whip away...

Frosty beverage time!
Bobby

Old 02-06-2011, 05:15 PM
deyomatic
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think anyone is saying, "I know the answer but I'm not going to help this guy because he misspelled the word "distributor," it's more about, "I've tried to read this guy's post but I have no clue what this guy is trying to say, so if he can't take the time to ask his question in such a manner that it is clearly understood, then he must not really want the answer that badly and I'll limit my frustration by finding something else to read."

I belong to other boards that cater to newer vehicles and those members are terrible with these abbreviations and "text speak." Some of them go out of their way to be a-holes, too.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:19 PM
glruff
Super Moderator
Received 156 Likes on 92 Posts
Youse guys are tough, lol

Subscribed.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:21 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I never said I withheld info, what I said was, if I can't understand the post, I move on

This horse is dead, I'm putting the whip away...

Frosty beverage time!
Bobby

Old 02-07-2011, 12:56 AM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts
I would like to apologize since most of my posts are like that,my posts ramble around and I don't make sense a lot of times.English is my third language,Spanish was second ans I have a first language that i only speak with family.I ask some of the very simple,stupid,newbie questions too.i try to google first but the internet gives me a million answers but never a straight answer like you guys do.I too believe in clear communication.please tell me straight up if i dont make sense,i will appreciate it

Old 02-07-2011, 02:19 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,831 Likes on 1,833 Posts
Originally Posted by iwanaflattie
I would like to apologize since most of my posts are like that,my posts ramble around and I don't make sense a lot of times.English is my third language,Spanish was second ans I have a first language that i only speak with family.I ask some of the very simple,stupid,newbie questions too.i try to google first but the internet gives me a million answers but never a straight answer like you guys do.I too believe in clear communication.please tell me straight up if i dont make sense,i will appreciate it
You have nothing to worry about, I have never seen any issues with your posts

Bobby

Quick Reply: punkshuation