Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

Air bag light staying on

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 04:16 PM
INKAHOOTZ
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air bag light staying on

First time we noticed it was flashing , next it came on then went off .(after a few minutes ) Now it stays on constantly . Whats up with this ? My 19 year old daughter bought this escape and has brought this to my attention . Is there anything I can do besides dig in my pocket ? Thanks RG

Old 04-01-2009, 04:19 PM
tcesni
Elder User
What year is the Escape? If the sensor needs replacing don't put it off for a few bucks. Your daughter is worth far more.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:23 PM
INKAHOOTZ
Senior User
03 escape with 30,000 . I will replace if needed , just hate to send to a shop if I can do myself . thanks rg

Old 04-01-2009, 04:51 PM
tcesni
Elder User
With the project cars in your id I suspect you could do it yourself if you had the correct diagnosis. Maybe someone will come along with further advice.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:10 PM
Stevorama
Freshman User
My '04 had this problem, dealer replaced wiring under both front seats for the seat belt tensioners. I have read that some Escape owners has solved this problem by unplugging and reconnecting underseat connectors.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:19 PM
INKAHOOTZ
Senior User
THANKS , I will give it a shot !

Old 04-02-2009, 07:15 AM
DoctorCAD
Senior User
Its a well known issue with the plug and socket under the passenger seat (generally). Disconnect and reconnect the plug and don't put stuff on the floor that can get under there and bump the connector.

If this does not fix it, there is also a known issue with the ABS sensor rings on one of the axles. A very expensive fix, so you'd better hope its the connector!

Old 04-02-2009, 06:28 PM
gasman6674
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My wifes 04 fwd limited does the same thing. It flashes on start up a code 73 I have disconnected and cleaned and it goes away for awhile then comes back. Someone on here said the 73 code was for the side airbag (glad I paid extra for them)

regards

Old 04-03-2009, 05:33 AM
ncranchero
Postmaster

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Upon start up, during the self-test mode, it will flash a series of "blinks", repeated several times, before it stays on continuously. The blinks will indicate a 2 digit number, ** **** ** **** ** **** etc. read as code 24. Count the blinks and post it back here.

DoctorCAD: The ABS system has a warning lamp of it's own but that is independent of the SRS and the air bag light.

gasman6674: The 04 service manual shows no code 73. Maybe a 37?

Last edited by ncranchero; 04-03-2009 at 05:44 AM. Reason: revised info
Old 04-03-2009, 06:50 AM
gasman6674
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Your right dyslexia raises it ugly head

regards

Old 04-03-2009, 07:25 AM
ncranchero
Postmaster

Originally Posted by gasman6674
Your right dyslexia raises it ugly head
regards
Ah, an affliction I'm familiar with!

37 is the lamp flash code for the following 4 DTC's (diagnostic trouble codes, B #'s ), accessed by the Ford scan tool.
B1996 37 Passenger Side Air Bag Circuit Shorted to Battery or Ignition
B1997 37 Passenger Side Air Bag Circuit Shorted to Ground Go To Pinpoint
B1998 37 Passenger Side Air Bag Circuit Resistance High
B1999 37 Passenger Side Air Bag Circuit Resistance Low

A visit to the dealership may be in order. It can get pretty tough to pinpoint these without the scan tool and simulators.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:14 PM
INKAHOOTZ
Senior User
Thanks guys , The number code is a 46 except for gasman and it would be 64 ! My daughter and I plan on working on it in the morning . (If nothing else its supposed to be a nice day and we can polish it up ) If anyone knows what this code is please let me know . THANKS AGAIN RG

Old 04-03-2009, 07:44 PM
ncranchero
Postmaster

B1877 46 Driver Pretensioner Circuit Open
B1885 46 Driver Pretensioner Circuit Resistance Low

Check the wiring/connectors under the drivers seat, specifically the ones going to the seat belt buckle. Note the TSB on the pretensioners.

Safety Belt Pretensioners

As part of the supplemental restraint system (SRS), the safety belt buckles are equipped with pretensioners. The safety belt buckle pretensioners remove excess slack from the safety belt webbing. The pretensioners are activated by the restraints control module (RCM) when the module detects a crash event force exceeding a programmed unit.

Some vehicles may be equipped with driver and passenger safety belt buckle pretensioner service kits (78610E22/78610E23). To identify if driver and passenger safety belt buckle pretensioner service kits have been previously installed, inspect the pretensioner electrical connectors. If restraint system diagnostic tool 418-133 connects to the safety belt buckle pretensioner electrical connectors on the vehicle wiring harness (14405), the service kits have been previously installed.

TSB
05-17-11 RESTRAINT SYSTEM - SAFETY BELT BUCKLE AND PRETENSIONER DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) B1877 AND/OR B1881

Publication Date: August 18, 2005

FORD: 2001-2004 Escape

This article supersedes TSB 04-24-4 to update the service procedure.

ISSUE:
Some 2001-2004 Escape vehicles may exhibit an intermittent air bag lamp on and diagnostic trouble code (DTC) B1877 and/or B1881. This may be caused by a variation in the electrical continuity between the pins of the driver and/or passenger side wiring harness and the buckle pretensioner connector. If this condition were to occur, the air bag system remains fully functional.

ACTION:
Install a replacement harness connector kit ON BOTH the driver and passenger safety belt buckle pretensioners, even if the DTC is present for only one side. The kit includes improved connector halves to replace the existing connectors on both the body harness and the safety belt buckle pretensioner.

One kit is required per side (2 kits per vehicle). Refer to the instruction sheet included in the kit for complete repair procedure.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
4L8Z-78610E22-A Connector Kit (Order 2 Kits Per Vehicle)

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
051711A 2001-2004 Escape Install A Replacement Harness Connector On Both The Body Side And Safety Belt Buckle Pretensioner Harness For Both Driver And Passenger Safety Belt Buckle Pretensioners (Do Not Use With 14056D) 2.0 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
7861202 or 7861203 X2

Old 07-31-2009, 03:04 PM
fivestarairbags
New User
airbag codes for Fords

I work strictly with airbags and airbag issues and can tell you that the code 46 will be a driver side seatbelt buckle on the Escapes and Rangers. There have been several issues concerning this connector. 99% of the time, you can simply unplug the buckle connector and "tweak" the pins and plug it back in. The code will go away by itself when fixed. Happens a lot when people clean their vehicles and leave them unplugged as well. Buckles in these vehicles are pretensioned and part of the airbag system. Code 32's are almost always clockspring failure. The horn or cruise or both will stop working or eventually stop working. Any other questions, let me know. My apologies for the dribble if you have already corrected your problem.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:30 PM
fivestarairbags
New User
Code 37 is a pain.

This code usually shows up in Explorers somewhere around 99-02, mostly the Sports. The systems are prewired for side airbags whether they are equipped with them or not. If it is not equipped with side airbags, it will have a little yellow connector with a loop resistor plugged into it on the back of the bottom of both seats. The resistance values should show 2 ohms. This is where it makes no sense. The bad side (driver side if you have a code 36, a passenger side if you have code 37) actually shows the correct value and the good side shows 7 ohms. I have had to add 5 ohms to the bad side in order for the light to go away. I've probably done about a dozen of them. You can order the yellow connector with the reisistor in it from Ford but it only measures out 2 ohms which will not alleviate the problem. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Air bag light staying on