Sponsored by: Moser

09 5.4 real world towing capablity?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 04:02 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jefff H
The f150 will pull 8000lbs no problem. -----It will pull the canyons no problem! you might drop down to 50mph on the steeper grades but that is to be expected.
to me having to hit 3rd gear, hold the pedal to the floor, and struggle to maintain 50 mph is a major problem lol.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:30 PM
Raider50
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well sorry i suppose i stand corrected, if he dosnt already have one all of my argument is shot.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:59 PM
rickey498
Junior User
If your just talking about pulling the trailer a couple of times a year, you should be fine. I pull a 32' travel trailer with my 5.4 no problem. you never know what diesel is going to do. If your not pulling that kind of weight everyday I wouldn't see a need for an f250. F150 would pull that trailer and do better as a daily driver.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:00 PM
cpdorroh
Elder User
This is definitely a multifactorial issue that does not have one definitive answer. That said, this is my opinion.

I would not be afraid to tow at 70% of maximum towing capacity (I'm assuming that puts the trailers you were looking at around 6500-7000lbs). That kind of weight is definitely within the capability of an F-150. Sure the diesel Super Duty will handle the load even better, but so would a Freight Liner or a Sherman tank.

Something to consider is how often you plan on towing 7000lbs. If you plan on towing that every week of the year over long distances, you may appreciate the diesel more. If it will be like most recreational trailers that only get used a few weekends a year, an F-150 would be more than up to the task.

I was reluctant to get a half-ton this time around, but I can say that I am very happy with my decision. I only tow loads > 5000lbs occasionally. Also, my truck is my daily driver, and the F-150 has made a much better daily driver than my SD did - rides better, drives better, easier to park, cheaper to maintain, etc.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:58 PM
Hatterasguy
New User
I'd get the F250 diesel, that way you can relax and enjoy the trip insted of thrashing the gas engine.

Also remember the diesel is force fed so it will make power at higher elevations where the NA gas motors will be sucking wind.

I'm biased though, I have only owned two gas cars. When possible I always opt for a diesel.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:04 PM
Muddedprairie
Senior User
Wife and i have a 06 F150 with a few goodies and we pull a 30 ft toy hauler... with 2-big arctic cat atv's in it. We pulled it from jersey to florida back in jan and had no trouble at all. I have 54k miles on my truck and i bet 30 k are towing miles. I have 35's on my truck and the edge throttle body space 3'exhaust k&N air intake and i'm happy you will be fine. MY Toy hauler empty weighs 5500 empty and with both quads and gear i'm close to 8k. i will post a pic.

Mark

Old 04-01-2009, 08:09 PM
Muddedprairie
Senior User

the last one is of us hitting the fl boarder you will be fine.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:20 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Muddedprairie
We pulled it from jersey to florida back in jan and had no trouble at all. Mark
i would hope you didnt have any trouble. from jersey to florida is all flat land and interstate at 70mph. thats about a 900 mile trip and 880 miles of it is on I-95 along the coast. bring that up parts of 77, 19, or 79 in west virginia or 26 coming out of asheville into tennessee and youll change your mind real quick. that is a nice camper though. if you want to take me up on my offer of crossing over from asheville to tn youre more than welcome to leave the camper at my house

Old 04-03-2009, 04:53 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
Originally Posted by excaliber551
We thought that the Diesel would be the way to go too. We just don't want to buy a new truck and find out it was a mistake. A used 2008 F250 Diesel with low mileage is going for less than the new F150.

It more than likely wont be an every day driver so the Diesel even makes more sense.

Thanks for the info.
With that said, you can actually get a brand new '08 SD cheaper than you can get an '09 F-150. The rebates on the "08's are very good right now.

If I were pulling anything more substantial than a work trailer or an ATV trailer, then I would want the SD. The SD is born and bred to pull. It's the difference between a well trained mule and a beautiful horse.

Tim

Old 04-03-2009, 07:55 PM
fonefiddy
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another thing to consider is If You really want to pull 7K+ Your basically stuck with a Reg Cab, SC, or XLT Crew.
09 F150 The Platinum Crew puts Your tongue weight just about at max payload.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:55 PM
luverofpeanuts
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by fonefiddy
Another thing to consider is If You really want to pull 7K+ Your basically stuck with a Reg Cab, SC, or XLT Crew.
09 F150 The Platinum Crew puts Your tongue weight just about at max payload.
Hmmmm....good point of discussion. What is considered to be the max tounge weight recommended on a Super Crew 5.4L? I see the payload max at 1760. So weight of whatever I have in the bed is added to the tounge weight, right? If I say I have 760 pounds in the bed, that leaves a 1000 pounds for the tounge weight. That seems in the range of doable for the occaisonal 'tow-er' like me ...even if I get a trailer pushing 8000 pounds?

Need sanity checking on those thoughts though.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:04 PM
rambaseball45
Senior User
Originally Posted by excaliber551
We were looking at travel trailers the other day and the salesman said we should really have a 3/4 ton with more power or a diesel to pull the trailers we were looking at.
He showed us a few trailers that were rated to be pulled by a half ton and they were way too small for our liking.
Two other couples we talked to said they had half tons and traded them in for the F250 diesels they now have.

They said the F150 is capable on flat ground but throw in any hills and the truck is just incapable of doing the job.
They said you'll ruin the truck.
We were looking at 24-26 foot trailers that were up to 70% of the tow rating of the new F150.

I'm wondering if the 6.2 would make a big difference when it comes out.

Maybe an F250 diesel is a better idea?

Has anyone tried to pull a 7000 lb trailer up any hills with the 09?
ok man, dont bother some of these haters. i have a 97, yes a 1997 F-150 with the 4.6 v8, not 5.4 and i tow my 30 foot 5500 lb camper (pictures to prove it in my albums).. my truck has 200,000 miles on it.. your new F-150 will handle it fine. trust me. dont waste money on a diesel when ya dont need it man.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:01 AM
Muddedprairie
Senior User
Phill,

Actualy the trip was a little over 1000 miles to where we went... I did hit some hills where i was at and yes i felt it... As of now i'm happy with the truck it dose what i want and some... If i need to i will put 4.10's in it. if i need to cross that bridge. Thank you for the complements on the camper... Wife and i love it... Hope to get more use out of it this year. We just got it in Sept... I use to have a 03 with the 4.6... And that motor was good to me as well...

Mark

Old 04-04-2009, 02:53 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Diesel guys will say "upgrade"

V-10 guys will say "upgrade"

F-150 guys say "Yep" or "maybe"
what are your true needs of the truck? IMO you only need a 1/2 ton.

The 2009+ F-150 will easily handle what you are describing. It will be a very nice daily driver with a multi-purpose.
Ever tried driving a Superduty daily?...it sucks. Rough ride...parking lots...I don't even want to go there.

The F-150 ain't exaclty nimble...and the F-250/350 is even worse. IMO the only Superduty that is reasonable for daily driving is the Reg cab version...whereas my 5'4" tall wife drove my Supercrew as her Daily Driver for 2 yrs. Not a single issue other than the occasional rant about having to park a bit farther out in the lots

When you consider only the towing aspect: Will a Superduty be the best vehicle for the job? Absolutely.
But when you throw in the other factors like:
V-10/Diesel Upgrade pricing
extra $$$ to purchase the Superduty
horrible driving characteristics when compared to 1/2 ton
horrible MPG's and high gas prices (they're coming back folks )
Maintenance costs (diesels can get expensive very quickly)
once you look at all the factors, the Superduty isn't a very viable alternative. Lately, in the 04-08 Forum, we've been seeing alot of the Superduty crowd looking to, or already have step down to a 1/2 ton. It seems mostly because they bought way too much truck for their purposes, and/or the costs associated with a Superduty are too prohibitive

if you tow alot, or just need a frickin' huge truck...get a Superduty

If you tow occasionally (couple times a year), and it's within the limits of the F-150...get the F-150. IMO you'll be happier in the end.
You'll spend less money, it'll be easier to drive, and I think you'll be happier overall with the truck.

just be smart when you tow and take it easy. it obviously won't be a raging bull while towing, but it will safely do the job

I've towed this with my 06. Easily 5,500 lbs and it was nothing. Obviously I felt the load while driving, but the truck was rock solid. I had no problems merging onto the highway with traffic going 60 mph. The 5.4 just buckled down and did it's job...btw, did the towing in the Seattle area. You can bet your butt that I found a few hills/mountains.
Now that my motor is F/I...well it would be even more interesting

btw, the Intercooled RoushCharger adds +145 HP to the 5.4 motor. And no, it does not void your warranty (not exactly anyways). Roush supplants the OEM Ford 3yr/36k warranty with their own. And trust me...the power is amazing

funny part is...I'm such a 1/2 ton proponent...but I'd go to a Superduty in an instant. I just couldnt afford the $10,000 increase in price between the F-150 I bought and the similarly equipped Diesel F-250 that was parked next to mine.
I just like big freakin' trucks though. I'm a big dude (6'3" @ 285 lbs of mostly muscle), so I figure my truck should be equally huge...and that 08+ F-250 grille is just damn awesome looking

Old 04-04-2009, 08:55 AM
Gparcels
Senior User
My 06 has the 5.4, with 3:73 gears, and is the 7700lb package. I tow 6000lbs and hardly know it's behind me. I'm sure for the 09 model, this would be a walk in the park. I wouldn't hesitate to do it with mine. I think anything under 8k a properly equiped F150 will handle fine, JMO.

Quick Reply: 09 5.4 real world towing capablity?