1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

How do I program a key with a chip in a 2003 F150

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 09:03 PM
lettereat
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I program a key with a chip in a 2003 F150

I'm down to 1 key for my 2003 F150. The keys have a chip in it. The dealer wants $90 for a key and labor to program it. Can I buy a key and program it myself? Can I buy a door lock transmitter and program that myself too? If so, where's the best place to buy these and how do I do it? I see they have them forsale on ebay but would like to support a Ford-Trucks member. THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP!

Old 03-28-2009, 09:47 PM
bfgfocus
Cross-Country
Call a mobile key maker, they can come to you program and make the key for less than the dealer. That is how I got mine done.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:59 PM
Ron W.
Elder User
Originally Posted by lettereat
I'm down to 1 key for my 2003 F150. The keys have a chip in it. The dealer wants $90 for a key and labor to program it. Can I buy a key and program it myself? !
No, you need 2 programed keys to program any extras.

Originally Posted by lettereat
Can I buy a door lock transmitter and program that myself too? If so, where's the best place to buy these and how do I do it? I see they have them forsale on ebay but would like to support a Ford-Trucks member. THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP!
If the vehicle was equiped with remote keyless entry you should be able to program fobs yourself. Instructions will be in your owners manual, if you don't have one you can down load it here.
Genuine Ford and Lincoln Mercury Parts & Service

As far as who to buy them from, their are sponsors that post here that give a discount to FTE members.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:08 AM
n5926g
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In addition to the above posts,wherever you do get the "smart key" from it wont be alot cheaper than the dealer.
I went through this on a previous "project car" and after all the hassle of looking around for someone that could make it,I ultimately went to the dealer.....

Old 03-29-2009, 07:38 AM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
This is from postings on the 18th & 19th of this month; https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...placement.html
I understand that the reference to having the dealer provide a second key doesn't apply here. Buy some blanks and have them cut and one programed by a locksmith or the dealer.

Make the dealer provide a second key. You are to receive TWO keys with your vehicle. Once you have the second you can purchase additional blanks and have them cut. You can then program the spares yourself. My latest key purchase was from here; eBay Motors: eBay Motors: NEW FORD OEM PATS key w/ blue oval Taurus F150 Explorer (item 220374205273 end time Mar-22-09 05:55:14 PDT)
I bought 4 blanks and had two cut to match the F-150 keys then programed them myself as I still had the original two. I like to keep at least 3 keys for each Ford so that if I lose one I can still program another one. I have two blanks put away for future needs.

Programming spare keys

A maximum of eight keys can be coded to your vehicle. Only SecuriLock keys can be used. To program a coded key yourself, you will need two previously programmed coded keys (keys that already operate your vehicle’s engine) and the new unprogrammed key(s) readily accessible for timely implementation of each step in the procedure.
If two previously programmed coded keys are not available, you must bring your vehicle to your authorized dealer to have the spare coded key(s) programmed.
Please read and understand the entire procedure before you begin.

1. Insert the first previously programmed coded key into the ignition and turn the ignition from the OFF/LOCK to the ON position (Do not start vehicle) [maintain ignition in ON for at least three seconds, but no more than ten seconds].

2. Turn ignition from ON back to the OFF/LOCK position in order to remove the first coded key from the ignition.

3. Within ten seconds of removing the first coded key, insert the second previously programmed coded key into the ignition and turn the ignition from the OFF/LOCK to the ON position [maintain ignition in ON for at least three seconds but no more than ten seconds].

4. Turn the ignition from the ON back to OFF/LOCK position in order to remove the second coded key from the ignition.

5. Within 10 seconds of removing the second coded key, insert the new unprogrammed key (new key/valet key) into the ignition and turn the ignition from the OFF/LOCK to the ON position [maintain ignition in ON for at least three seconds, but no more than ten seconds]. This step will program your new key to a coded key.

6.Remove the newly programmed key from ignition then reinsert it to test for successful programming.

7. To program additional new unprogrammed key(s), repeat this procedure from Step 1.

If successful, the new coded key(s) will start the vehicle’s engine and the theft indicator will illuminate for three seconds and then go out.
If not successful, the new coded key(s) will not start the vehicle’s engine and the theft indicator will flash on and off and you may repeat Steps 1 through 5.

If failure repeats, bring your vehicle to your authorized dealer
to have the new spare key(s) programmed.

Try here for fobs; eBay - Ford key fobs, Parts Accessories - buy and sell on eBay Motors

Old 03-29-2009, 11:39 AM
lettereat
Freshman User
Thank You

Thanks for all the reply's. I hopeing to find an easy alternative to going to the dealer. Sounds like I need to get a key cut then program it as a spare right away.