Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by strokersace
Barney, where at in Idaho are you now?
Twin Falls area.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:21 PM
bfife
still plays with trucks

Rick, I went with Bill at PHP because Bob said "let me make a phone call on a Sunday" he called in a favor for me. and I really appreciated it. I did email Jody on Sunday to ask it there was a HPOP cap or something that would limit the 550 pressures. I recieved an email yesturday from Jody basicly saying, that I had a pump or injector problem not a tuning problem.
I appologize to everyone. Sorry I got my panties in twist earlier. Its been a long week and I guess I just took it all wrong. its all good. Barney

Old 03-26-2009, 08:27 PM
strokersace
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bfife
Twin Falls area.
Buhl, Filer, Hansen, Kimberly, Eden, Hazelton, Jerome, Wendle, Gooding???

I used to live just northwest of Jerome before moving to Montana. Didn't mind it so much down there. Still have alot of friends in that area and need to get back down to visit. What took you down there?

Sorry for the .

Old 03-26-2009, 08:37 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Rick, I went with Bill at PHP because Bob said "let me make a phone call on a Sunday" he called in a favor for me. and I really appreciated it. I did email Jody on Sunday to ask it there was a HPOP cap or something that would limit the 550 pressures. I recieved an email yesturday from Jody basicly saying, that I had a pump or injector problem not a tuning problem.
I appologize to everyone. Sorry I got my panties in twist earlier. Its been a long week and I guess I just took it all wrong. its all good. Barney
Barney, we may have been hard on you, and I apologies for that. Things are happening so fast with this pump, meaning, good reviews before we have some numbers that we can use. I just want to know if it will help me with my mods. You are a family member, just try to understand what we are trying to get out of this.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:39 PM
MADVAN
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You have to remember that bumping up your ICP
will advance your timing and amount of fuel.
If jody is on the edge with timing the added ICP pressure
can set you over the edge. I would be willing to bet
Bill's tune has less timing.

Bill

Old 03-26-2009, 09:25 PM
bfife
still plays with trucks

Strokerace, I'm in Wendell right now. grew up in Burley and have family all aound here.
What do i do? I used to be the local Snap on man. then I retired and went rving. The economy has had me trapped up here for the last 2 1/2 yrs so I've been lead tech for a former customer. funny thing stopped by on the way south from Alaska and haven't left yet. I think I have a job down around Atlanta lined up so I hope to back on the road soon. Been in one place too long. Barney

Old 03-26-2009, 09:43 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

I'm retired too, but I work harder now then at the job I had.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:23 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
All of you mechanical gauge guys need to remember one thing, who cares what a mechanical gauge sees? If the PCM does not see it, it cannot be used.

What does this mean? Well, I'm no expert, but tunes and a PCM run truck rely on sensors. So what those sensors tell the PCM is what you have to work with. I don't care if you can make 3800psi ICP, if the PCM does not see it properly, you are floundering around. That's my 0.02c.

IOWs, datalogging is a fair measure of what the PCM is seeing. If that is off, a fix is in order.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:34 AM
bfife
still plays with trucks

OK!!! some good news!! I just went down and topped off the fuel tanks. I had topped off the tanks the same day I installed the new HPOP. the previous tank was 265 miles of daily driving and short 20 mile trips to town, and six 10 mile loops down the freeway going from 60 -90mph over and over to get data before the Adrenaline install. 10.4 MPG

This last trip meter was 365 miles. same daily drives. one 160 mile trip up over the mountain 2300 ft to 6000 in a snow storm, and 12 WOT test runs to data log the New HPOP numbers. 11.7 MPG
Thats a big jump. I know its not what the rest of you guys get, but you gotta remember my truck weighs 11,000 lbs.
I think an initial increase of 1.3 MPG is pretty awsome.
Thanks for waiting. Barney

Old 03-27-2009, 12:44 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
After reading much of this thread, there seems to be a lot of misconceptions.

Bfife your pump isn't holding pressure, for one reason or another (pump problem or an issue elsewhere). One thing that cannot be blamed is ICP tuning. Regardless of whether the truck is an F-250, F-350, or F-550, and regardless of the tuner (Jody, Bill, whoever), the pump isn't maintaining the pressure that you need. If you were to look at tuning tables for Jody or Bill's programs, you would see that the ICP demanded isn't quite what you think it might be. Try something closer to stock levels, and you'll be on the right track.

For some reason there is this idea floating around (and I've recently seen this on another forum too) that tuners are asking for insanely high ICP programming in their tunes. That is not the case. If the F-550 PCM is calling for 2750 psi of ICP at WOT, then Jody's, Bill's, and everyone else's tuning is going to call for that pressure too, or something close to it. However, yours is dropping down to around 2000 psi in higher HP settings. Why? Because of the additional fueling called on by the chip. The tuning is still calling for the same oil pressures, but at an increased fueling level which is what's putting a higher demand out for oil volume. Can't blame Bill or Jody for the drop in pressure here. It's the hardware that can't keep up.

That's why you still see a huge drop in oil pressure even with Bill's tunes. Going from a low of 1950 psi in Jody's tuning to 2050 psi in Bill's tuning is a drop in the bucket. If anything, they are very very close in numbers. A 100 psi gain that only gives you just over 2000 psi of oil pressure is nothing to be happy about. There is something wrong...... somewhere.

As for a manual HPOP gauge (that was mentioned earlier).... don't need it. The ICP sensor is actually very accurate. Hook up any manual gauge, and you'll see very similar numbers every time. In fact, some gauges don't register the rapid changes in pressure as fast as the ICP sensor can. In those cases, the sensor is more accurate than a gauge.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:00 AM
bfife
still plays with trucks

Pocket, I have read you discussion on the other site. Very Very informative. I understand pumps don't make pressure they make volume. its the restrictions(injectors, IPRs etc) that create the pressure. And I agree, there is something else going on with my truck. I should be seeing bigger numbers. What do you think it might be and how would you reccommend I test for it. I thought about geting some injector orings but I just don't have the time before I have to leave. Barney

Old 03-27-2009, 01:09 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Pocket, I have read you discussion on the other site. Very Very informative. I understand pumps don't make pressure they make volume. its the restrictions(injectors, IPRs etc) that create the pressure. And I agree, there is something else going on with my truck. I should be seeing bigger numbers. What do you think it might be and how would you reccommend I test for it. I thought about geting some injector orings but I just don't have the time before I have to leave. Barney
Testing and finding the problem is the hard part. If it's an o-ring or injector problem, the only way to find out is to take the valve cover off. You can have an injector pissing away oil, and it can still pass the CCT and the buzz tests every time.

Then there is always the pump. It's brand new and there may be some lingering issues that Bob was unable to foresee. Or maybe you got a defective one I've seen posts on other forums with the same pump, and seen a much greater increase in ICP over a bone stock HPOP. So to me, something is going on. Bob's pump is not supposed to be a direct stock replacement, yet the results you got indicate nothing more than stock performance at this point.

Again, I'm not blaming the pump entirely as the problem, it could be elsewhere. It's just not going to be an easy solution at this point. That's the joy (or curse) of being one of the early guys buying a new product.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:23 AM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by F350-6
Now we just need a volunteer from Arkansas in case Scott goes MIA on us this weekend. Might need someone to drive over there and force him to share his results in case he gets side tracked.
I'll tell you what. if somebody wants to show up and take pictures I'll share my beer with you.....but neither hell nor high water (likely the latter at this point ) is going to keep me from putting this pump on.

Originally Posted by strokersace
Scott, do you have any stock pump numbers yet? If not, you've got 1 day to do so!!
Yep. I posted them in my Adrenaline thread. Been running ICP and IPR % constantly since then. It's very consistent. Bob has asked me to pull the chip completely to get a baser baseline, and I'll do that tomorrow, er, rather this morning.

Originally Posted by miller_feed
OH, and Scott, don't think we are putting you on the spot. jk, we are.
No worries. Takes a good bit more than this to pressure me. I'll let you guys know if I'm happy with it just the same as I if I'm disappointed with it.

I would ask for one favor from everyone.....please ease up on the new guy a bit. It doesn't take much digging to figure out that this guy: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/member.php?u=503928 is this guy:https://www.dieselsite.com/adrenaline/BryanA.html Being that he's been running this pump for two months I'm inclined to take him at his word. All he's really said is that he's happy with it....and if my truck responds the same way his did you can bet your booty that I'll be doing the happy dance out in the street.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:32 AM
hucka1a
Postmaster
[quote=cookie88;7312833] I'll be doing the happy dance out in the street.[/quote]

J/K, Scott

Old 03-27-2009, 01:38 AM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There may end up being a picture of it......but I pity the fool that posts it.

Quick Reply: adrenaline installed! and the rest of the story