6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Questions for dealer before purchase of Southern Comfort model

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 05:12 PM
08SouthernComfort
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions for dealer before purchase of Southern Comfort model

Greetings all...

I am looking at a new '08 F250 6.4D 4x4 crew with upgrades by "Southern Comfort".

What questions should I ask about the truck before purchase? For example, I am reading about various recalls - such as the radiator failing... I have heard some say they want the radiator replaced even before they roll the truck off the lot... Should this be a requirement even though I don't do a lot of towing? Also, some of the reflashes seem to be better than others... do I need to have the reflash immediately or should I wait until the newest one is released by Ford?

The truck has a Pro-Comp 6" lift installed - am I correct in that this does not void Ford's powertrain warranty?? I can just see them playing an axle leak or something off to a result of the suspension lift...

I am mostly a newbie to diesels, so any info would be appreciated. I had an '00 F-350 7.3 6spd manual, but only for about 8 months.

I have heard mixed results about the 6.4. This forum seems to like them more than others. Again, I don't tow much, but drive off-road a lot and never at the speed limit - I have heard driving the truck harder can actually help. If that is the case, I am set

Thanks in advance..

-Will

Old 03-24-2009, 05:28 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
if the dealer put the lift on then it should not void the warranty. Get it writing as you may be somewhere else and need to take it and who knows.

Radiator does not need to be replaced before you drive it out the door. some have failed in the past. unlikely that you would have a issue.

Do make sure the recall for the venturi T is done. This is for the degass bottle.

As far as the reflash, i would just drive the truck and give it a shot. this last flash was so you could see the "cleaning exhaust filter" message and did a change to shift points I beleive. You may inquire if that was done so you can see the messages. But I would drive it a little if not and see how you like it as is.

6.4 is a great motor, get your 500 miles on it before any off roading and heavy foot or towing. Do put it in 4x4 in the dirt just to make sure the 4x4 works.

Once you have your 500 miles, it is a diesel and they run best when run hard but you know that already.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:02 PM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It does not matter if a lift is put on by a aftermarket installer or a dealer, Ford will in no way back it with a warranty or warranty any issues found to be caused by the lift. If any dealer implys other wise they are simply not telling the truth and I would definately want it in writing that they (the dealer) would cover any costs not covered by the Ford factory warranty should issues arise...

As for the various recalls, CSP's, etc... Those should and are supposed to be taken care of by the dealer during vehicle prep. This means it should have the latest flash, venturi tee and anything else that it needs by the time it is delivered to you. If the dealer is proactive (which many are) with their vehicles sitting on the lot it is likely that all of this is already taken care of...

You can request a OASIS report on the truck at the link below. The OASIS will tell you what has already been done and what needs to be done...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...vin-tools.html

Old 03-24-2009, 11:59 PM
jimnv
Freshman User
If you are hell-bent on getting a diesel, the 6.4 is about a good a one as there is. With all the emissions crap on the damn things, the EPA is the great equalizer amongst the "Three." Thats just my humble opine o'course.

That said, if you do off-road a lot, you'd be better served with a gas job. I mean you are probably 1000 pounds lighter from the get-go or close to it. You don't have to deal with the heavy front end dragging you into the mud (the extra HP and torque just helps to dig you in deeper). They [gassers] are about 6000.00 cheaper and infinately less expensive to maintain.

I really struggled between getting a diesel and a F150 or equivalent. I plan on using an 8000 pound toy hauler a lot in the near future so I popped for the oil burner. If not for that, I'd gone for a nice F150 crew. Those are some exceptionally nice vehicles. It will handle the odd towing job quite well and is hell in the hills.

Have fun whatever you get.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:36 AM
caprang
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When we say these trucks like to be worked a lot, that implies carrying loads and hauling trailers. Driving a diesel like a mustang isnt going to "work" it the way we are implying in these threads. If you do a lot of city driving, short trips, etc then seriously consider the gasser. These trucks do their best when hauling weight on long trips because they like to be hot. The short trips and city driving load up the DPF and you will be in regen frequently.

A large portion of the warranty coverage depends on your dealer. My dealer told me not to even bring it back with something like a K&N filter in it or else they will ship it out the door. If its not 100% Ford, then Ford wont cover it. Crawl underneath one and read the muffler. Yes, Ford has a warranty warning engraved on the muffler. If your dealer will back it in writing then go for it.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:49 AM
08SouthernComfort
New User
Thank you all for your replies so far...

You have given me something to think about re: gas vs. diesel. This particular truck is already modded with the lift, custom paint and nerf bars - so it is not as simple as choosing what I want. Also, Ford is now offering $15k back on any reamaining '08s. This is as much of a factor as anything.

The tires are wider than stock which should help some in the mud sinking department. I remember you could really feel the weight off road with my 7.3.

Lastly, shouldn't the diesel outlast any gasser or is that incorrect? I was under the impression that diesels are still (if everything works properly) easier to maintain than gas engines.. maybe this isn't true anymore?

I yearn for the days when computers were found only in offices...
Seems they often to more harm than good in our vehicles

Old 03-25-2009, 02:23 PM
jimnv
Freshman User
08SC, just changed the oil and filter in my 08 J1 F250. Very easy. 15 quarts of Rotella oil and a 19.00 filter (motorcraft). Took about 20 minutes.

You got to understand that my advice is coming to you from a 50 year old with a 22 year old son whom it seems I'm always trying to talk off the ledge of making poor choices so you can take it with a grain of salt.

That said, I know a half dozen people, myself included, who have some really high mileage gassers with a lot of hard use that are still going strong. I'm kind of a stickler for maintenance and oil changes so I don't see any reason that I can't get over 300K miles on my 98 Chevy. (220K on it now) Friend of mine had a Chevy with over 400K on the engine last I heard. Still going strong. Uses synthetic everything on it.

I live in some mountainous country and spend a lot of time up in it. Always been able to get out with a gasser. Sounds like you had a diesel before so I am preachin' to the choir, but it sure sounds like a gasser would fit your needs a bit better. Don't let some shiny "deal" knock you off whats practical W/O some serious investigation. 15K back sounds pretty good, just make sure they are'nt pricing your truck at 60K!

Old 07-26-2009, 09:46 PM
911turbox50
New User
Whats a fair price for this model??

Stopped by the local FOrd dealer and they had this model available. Its an 08 and I know 2010 are coming out any day now..The dealership still wanted almost 50K..Can you folks let me know what you think a fair price is for a 2 year old truck that they are trying to sell new??

Also has anyone purchased one of these yet? Any feedback would be appreciated...

Thanks

Milord

Old 07-27-2009, 12:14 AM
Carl Lassiter
Senior User
Originally Posted by 911turbox50
Stopped by the local FOrd dealer and they had this model available. Its an 08 and I know 2010 are coming out any day now..The dealership still wanted almost 50K..Can you folks let me know what you think a fair price is for a 2 year old truck that they are trying to sell new??

Also has anyone purchased one of these yet? Any feedback would be appreciated...

Thanks

Milord
You must have arrived in your 996TT (had a seal gray non-X50 '02, loved it) for them to ask $50k. $35k out the door would be easily enough to get the deal done. It's been sitting for two years.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:30 PM
nicklock81
New User
I have a 08 Southern Comfort and I love it. As for the warranty that is between you and whatever dealer you buy from. Ford will not warranty the package because it had to be ordered by a customer and is considered and aftermarket option. Diesels are great off road because of the unlimited power but will sink alot quicker because of the weight. Over all my truck is wonderful and will never own a gas burner for my truck again.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:47 AM
celjel
Senior User
I have the latest flash in my truck, installed Dec.31, 09. I had the flash showing the cleaning exhaust and the decent shift points and the programming went corrupt. The new flash has changed alot, it does not show the cleaning exhaust, it also drops the torque converter lock up at 1200 rpm regardless of speed, that sucks! The performance has went down hill by at least 15% and mileage also followed. I get maybe 11 in city and maybe 13 on the highway now where I was getting 13-17 respectively. So if you have the option of keeping the original flash you should do so in my opinion.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:20 PM
Seaswirl77
Freshman User
Southern Comfort F350 modifications

I am considering buying a 2006 Ford F350 4X4 Dually southern comfort edition. Does anyone know where I can find out hwta these modifications are?
Seaswirl77

Old 06-18-2011, 05:51 PM
Mud Doc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post