Fuel pump replacment instructions - 2001 6.8L - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Reload this Page >

Fuel pump replacment instructions - 2001 6.8L

Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 03-20-2009, 01:57 PM
Diamond-X
Junior User
Diamond-X is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

I recently replaced the fuel pump on my 2001 6.8L eXcursion, here is how it's done:

Be really careful. I don't recommend putting cigarettes out in a tank full of gasoline or any other foolishly masculine manuevers. A tiny spark could lead to big trouble, be sensible. moving on.....

1 - Disconect the battery.
2 - Drain as much gas as you can from the tank. This isn't an easy task since you were probably stranded by the failure.
3 - Jack up and support the vehicle to make room to slide the tank from beneath it.
4 - Support the tank (with a trani jack, if possible) or some stable mechanism to lower it safely. I used a floor jack and a block of wood.
5 - Open the fuel door. Remove the gas cap and remove the 3 screws that hold the filler neck in place. This will help when you need to detach the filler hose.
6 - Remove the 4 bolts (2 front - 2 rear) that hold the tank and box to the frame.
7 - Lower the tank slightly, about 2 to 4 inches. Remove the fuel line, return line and breather tube from the plastic keeper. This makes a little room to manuever.
8 - Drop the tank as far down as you can without training any of these lines.
9 - Using the fuel line disconnect tools, insert and detach them. They're different sizes but I marked one of them at this point for easy reference. Remove the breather tube with pliers. Disconnect the electrical connection.
10 - Lower the tank to the ground and slide it out from under the vehicle.
11 - Clean to top of the tank so smudge doesn't fall into the tank.
12 - Using a non-ferous chisle (or wooden peg) tap the locking ring counter-clockwise until it spins off.
13 - Pop of the metal cap and be sure to save the rubber seal, it's re-used.
14 - Look in the tank and make reference of the orientation of the pump and level sensor.
15 - Reach in and press the 2 little tabs on the top of the pump towards each other while applying downward pressure. Pull the assembly straight up, it will be filld with fuel pour it back into the tank.
16 - There is a plastic pressure sensor on the metal cap, remove the electrical connection then push and turn to remove it. re-install it on the new cap.
17 - Carefully insert the new assembly into the tank in the proper orientation, push down until it clicks in place. Besure that the wires don't interfere with the float.
18 - Clean and replace the rubber seal.
19 - Fit the lock ring inplace and tighten accordingly.
20 - Reinstall the tank being sure to secure all connections. Check 'em twice, you don't want to redo this.
21 - Let it sit for a few minutes to disipate any gas or fumes.
22 - Reconnect the battery and turn the ignition on but don't start the vehicle. Cycle the ignition off and on a few times, leaving it on for 10 seconds each time. This purges the air from the lines.
23 - Start it.

I hope this helps others that have to deal with this fairly common issue.

Diamond-X

Old 03-20-2009, 03:55 PM
Monsta
Post Fiend
Monsta has a spectacular reputation.Monsta has a spectacular reputation.Monsta has a spectacular reputation.Monsta has a spectacular reputation.Monsta has a spectacular reputation.Monsta has a spectacular reputation.Monsta has a spectacular reputation.Monsta has a spectacular reputation.Monsta has a spectacular reputation.Monsta has a spectacular reputation.Monsta has a spectacular reputation.
Nice write up! rep points to you!

Old 03-20-2009, 04:21 PM
myblkex
Senior User
myblkex is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Real useful info - NICE JOB !

Old 03-20-2009, 08:29 PM
Cardiac69
Elder User
Cardiac69 has a good reputation on FTE.Cardiac69 has a good reputation on FTE.Cardiac69 has a good reputation on FTE.
Great job! Any pictures???

Old 03-20-2009, 10:22 PM
DaveandJennyP
Senior User
DaveandJennyP is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.DaveandJennyP is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
This should be put in the tech folder!

Old 03-20-2009, 10:43 PM
sddesigns
FTE Chapter Leader
sddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputationsddesigns has a superb reputation
Cheers to you for a great write up...reps given

Old 03-20-2009, 10:51 PM
Diamond-X
Junior User
Diamond-X is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Sorry, no pics. I do appreciate the kind words.

If you're dealing with this problem I'd be glad to discuss specific issues.

Have a great weekend all!

Old 01-18-2019, 07:24 PM
Punchingbag
Freshman User
Punchingbag is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Diamond-X View Post
I recently replaced the fuel pump on my 2001 6.8L eXcursion, here is how it's done:

Be really careful. I don't recommend putting cigarettes out in a tank full of gasoline or any other foolishly masculine manuevers. A tiny spark could lead to big trouble, be sensible. moving on.....

1 - Disconect the battery.
2 - Drain as much gas as you can from the tank. This isn't an easy task since you were probably stranded by the failure.
3 - Jack up and support the vehicle to make room to slide the tank from beneath it.
4 - Support the tank (with a trani jack, if possible) or some stable mechanism to lower it safely. I used a floor jack and a block of wood.
5 - Open the fuel door. Remove the gas cap and remove the 3 screws that hold the filler neck in place. This will help when you need to detach the filler hose.
6 - Remove the 4 bolts (2 front - 2 rear) that hold the tank and box to the frame.
7 - Lower the tank slightly, about 2 to 4 inches. Remove the fuel line, return line and breather tube from the plastic keeper. This makes a little room to manuever.
8 - Drop the tank as far down as you can without training any of these lines.
9 - Using the fuel line disconnect tools, insert and detach them. They're different sizes but I marked one of them at this point for easy reference. Remove the breather tube with pliers. Disconnect the electrical connection.
10 - Lower the tank to the ground and slide it out from under the vehicle.
11 - Clean to top of the tank so smudge doesn't fall into the tank.
12 - Using a non-ferous chisle (or wooden peg) tap the locking ring counter-clockwise until it spins off.
13 - Pop of the metal cap and be sure to save the rubber seal, it's re-used.
14 - Look in the tank and make reference of the orientation of the pump and level sensor.
15 - Reach in and press the 2 little tabs on the top of the pump towards each other while applying downward pressure. Pull the assembly straight up, it will be filld with fuel pour it back into the tank.
16 - There is a plastic pressure sensor on the metal cap, remove the electrical connection then push and turn to remove it. re-install it on the new cap.
17 - Carefully insert the new assembly into the tank in the proper orientation, push down until it clicks in place. Besure that the wires don't interfere with the float.
18 - Clean and replace the rubber seal.
19 - Fit the lock ring inplace and tighten accordingly.
20 - Reinstall the tank being sure to secure all connections. Check 'em twice, you don't want to redo this.
21 - Let it sit for a few minutes to disipate any gas or fumes.
22 - Reconnect the battery and turn the ignition on but don't start the vehicle. Cycle the ignition off and on a few times, leaving it on for 10 seconds each time. This purges the air from the lines.
23 - Start it.

I hope this helps others that have to deal with this fairly common issue.

Diamond-X
Thank you for the write up. I plan to use the instructions this weekend.

Old 01-18-2019, 08:43 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
WE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Punchingbag View Post
Thank you for the write up. I plan to use the instructions this weekend.
Welcome to the EX forum!
Before you start the fuel pump job be sure to check out the TECH FOLDER under the READ FIRST section at the top of this Excursion forum page. There you will find (among many, many other great How-To articles) this write up with pictures from Tom https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post12782162 it's a good one.
I've had my gas tank out twice now, first time was for a new fuel pump (used a Holley electric pump from past Hotrod projects to pump the tank dry first) and second time was to install a new TorkLift SuperHitch 20K receiver hitch. Your tank lid will only have the electrical pressure sensor that the article above references if your EX is built to the California spec (should be a sticker under the hood with this info, but mine was missing the sticker) and has a third O2 sensor just after the catalytic converter (on the top side of the exhaust pipe), this info will be needed (Cali or Federal spec) when you order the pump as they are different in regards to that tank pressure sensor. My EX is lifted 4" on 35" tires and I have enough slack in the supply and return fuel lines and wiring to drop it all the way down on a floor jack before disconnecting them, I was able to snake the fuel fill and vent lines out between the cab floor and frame the first time but disconnected them the second time.
Good luck!

Old 01-27-2019, 08:26 AM
sammie0126
Postmaster
sammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputationsammie0126 has a superb reputation
Good information. I'm at 106k and original pump, I know eventually I am going to need these.