1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Started in on my cab corners today...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 09:14 AM
49fordpickumup
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welding

Axracer: I opened the site. They give two part numbers for .025 and two for .30. Both are available in about six dealers in my area. Which of the two names do you suggest? Thanks for information. chuck

Last edited by 49fordpickumup; 04-23-2009 at 09:14 AM. Reason: additional word
Old 04-23-2009, 09:14 AM
53ford
Tuned
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
Dave, Thanks, I will check them out. Don

Old 04-23-2009, 09:16 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 53ford
Dave, Thanks, I will check them out. Don

You arer quite welcome... Let us know if they have it and what their part or order number is. I might give it a try soon.

Later Man...

Old 04-23-2009, 09:30 AM
low54
Elder User
Thanks AX & fellas...good info

Old 04-23-2009, 09:52 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by 49fordpickumup
Axracer: I opened the site. They give two part numbers for .025 and two for .30. Both are available in about six dealers in my area. Which of the two names do you suggest? Thanks for information. chuck
One # is for the 2# spool, the other for the 11# spool You most likely want the 8" spool used by most of the smaller machines, but check your machine before ordering. Make sure you have or else pick up a package of .025 tips for your stinger while you are there.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:38 PM
TxF100
Senior User
Originally Posted by AXracer
At any ESAB welding supply dealer. ESAB is not as big an advertised brand as Lincoln or others, more industrial focus, so even their dealers tend to be low key. Give your local welding supply place a call and ask if they carry ESAB.
Here's the link to the catalog item:
Spoolarc Easy Grind
They also have a dealer finder function there.
The 2# spool is an 8" spool size that fits most machines.
Found it 1 mile from my house, Cool finder. Thanks

Old 04-23-2009, 09:41 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
One # is for the 2# spool, the other for the 11# spool You most likely want the 8" spool used by most of the smaller machines, but check your machine before ordering. Make sure you have or else pick up a package of .025 tips for your stinger while you are there.
I saw where one guy was using the MIG wire as filler fot TIG work on thin metal. Have you tried this easy grind for TIG filler?

Old 04-24-2009, 01:52 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
I don't have a TIG machine... yet.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:58 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
I don't have a TIG machine... yet.
Hi AX,
Sorry 'bout that, I just assumed you did have one. I feel sort of guilty considering the fact that I bought my Lincoln TIG-225 almost a year ago and I have yet to really use it for anything than a regular stick welder because it has that capability. Other than firing it up and playing with the TIG part just to see if it works that has been the extent of it. I like using a TIG for aluminum but I have never used one for stuff like thin body metal. I did some research on that. What I mentioned to you I now remember seeing in a book I bought about sheet metal fabrication. The guy was using MIG wire as a filler.

The thing I find most awkward about the TIG is that you need to sit down because of the foot pedal control. That is rather hard to do when working on some areas of a vehicle body. I think someone makes a variable trigger control that is located on the torch if I remember correctly. I may try to find one of those.

In my defense, part of the reason I haven't used the TIG much is because I have not advanced to that stage of the work on my trucks. However I am getting closer.

Later Man...

Old 04-24-2009, 08:14 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,130 Likes on 2,655 Posts
At any ESAB welding supply dealer. ESAB is not as big an advertised brand as Lincoln or others, more industrial focus, so even their dealers tend to be low key. Give your local welding supply place a call and ask if they carry ESAB.
Here's the link to the catalog item:
Spoolarc Easy Grind
They also have a dealer finder function there.
The 2# spool is an 8" spool size that fits most machines.
Thanks AX, for that link. I've been buying my wire from Praxair and have asked them about this easy grind wire and they told me that all wires are equal so I'm buying thier brand. This link you have provided indicates on thier dealer locator theat Praxair in Dryden where I buy my wire is a dealer for ESAB,so it looks like I'll have to have a talk with those boys, thanks for this info.
John

Old 04-24-2009, 01:40 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Dave, the TIG can do anything that stick can do and do it better and neater. My brother's TIG has the torch with the slide switch, it is MUCH better for anything but sitting down welding.
John, Trust me, all wires are NOT equal. Ask your dealer to order you the Easy Grind, it's worth it. You may need to give them ESAB's catalog #.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:07 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Dave, the TIG can do anything that stick can do and do it better and neater. My brother's TIG has the torch with the slide switch, it is MUCH better for anything but sitting down welding.
John, Trust me, all wires are NOT equal. Ask your dealer to order you the Easy Grind, it's worth it. You may need to give them ESAB's catalog #.

AX,
I agree with you but you gotta remember that after 50 years of pushing a stick and doing a lot of heavy metal welding that old habits are hard to break. I grab the stick leads with out thinking whem I could be using my MIG-255 which is currently set up 45 wire. It will weld the heaviest stuff. I also have a Lincoln 170 SP with smaller wire in it. So I have no excuses.

I will have to check into the slider switch for my Lincoln TIG-225. I think it would work out for me.

Later Man...

EDIT:

I found a hand control for the TIG-225 $215.00 sounds a bit steep but you know how lincoln prices are. It could be worth it though. Dang !!! Why is there so much stuff out there I think I need???

Old 04-24-2009, 03:33 PM
sloppy-ollies
Freshman User
Wow, talk about a thread hi-jacking

Old 04-24-2009, 06:00 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,130 Likes on 2,655 Posts
Originally Posted by sloppy-ollies
You'll get used to it, it happens to all of us. We're still listening...really..we are. And that's why I bumped this back to the top.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:43 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by sloppy-ollies

Ooops !!! Sorry, My Bad...

Actually I did think about that. It's just that one thing led to another...

What were we talkin' 'bout???

I'll quit hi-jacking

Quick Reply: Started in on my cab corners today...