1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost Ford Spare Tire Key? This Works Great!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 02:58 PM
NotURMailman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't say that I've ever had to lower the spare on a super duty, but when my sister called me with a flat in her Ranger and didn't have the tool to lower her spare I just used vice grips to turn the tube going into the cable hoist from under the truck. Worked fine. Does the outer tube on the SD not turn as you lower the tire?

Old 11-18-2015, 03:00 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 990 Likes on 761 Posts
Originally Posted by NotURMailman
I can't say that I've ever had to lower the spare on a super duty, but when my sister called me with a flat in her Ranger and didn't have the tool to lower her spare I just used vice grips to turn the tube going into the cable hoist from under the truck. Worked fine. Does the outer tube on the SD not turn as you lower the tire?
there are some pictures earlier in this thread. the part that turns is about 18inches from the license plate and is fully covered by the spare tire.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:07 PM
NotURMailman
Senior User
Originally Posted by speakerfritz
there are some pictures earlier in this thread. the part that turns is about 18inches from the license plate and is fully covered by the spare tire.

Gotcha... most pictures won't show up on my desk computer at work.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:24 AM
mjmck
Senior User
This is an awesome trick, going to try it this weekend.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:40 AM
cpsummitx
New User
2013 f-250 spare tire key missing

I just bought a 2013 f-250 crew cab short box with 6.2 gas engine, wouldn't you know, missing spare tire key. I read all the the posts here on this subject and kept my fingers crossed that it would be as easy as pounding on a 9/16 socket like a lot of posts said. This was not to be. Tried many different sizes and brands of sockets but nothing would grab. Even tried the 15mm or #9 bolt extractor. No go. Tried several keys from other super-duty pickups just for kicks...no luck. Then I remembered a previous posts that said he was going to try a GATOR GRIP socket. Bingo...that's the ticket!. It took a few turns of the socket slipping before it grabbed but once it set the tire came down smoothly. When I pulled the extension out, the GAToR GRIP stayed on the insert, which turned out to be OK because it gave me something to hold on to, to wiggle the insert out of the crank. I then had to use a small punch to get the socket off of the insert by pounding on several of the small pins in the socket. Come to find out, this insert was quite I bit bigger than the 9/16 socket many guys used. This insert barely fit in a six point 11/16 socket, to give you an idea. Maybe a bigger bolt extractor would have worked but nobody in our small town had one. One more thing...when removing the black guide tube, I turned it about 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn clockwise while pulling down and towards back of pickup. It sounded like it broke once it came out, but it had not. Hope this info helps someone...its what worked for my pickup,...But there is more than one way to skin a cat!

Old 12-03-2015, 08:35 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Originally Posted by cpsummitx
I just bought a 2013 f-250 crew cab short box with 6.2 gas engine, wouldn't you know, missing spare tire key. I read all the the posts here on this subject and kept my fingers crossed that it would be as easy as pounding on a 9/16 socket like a lot of posts said. This was not to be. Tried many different sizes and brands of sockets but nothing would grab. Even tried the 15mm or #9 bolt extractor. No go. Tried several keys from other super-duty pickups just for kicks...no luck. Then I remembered a previous posts that said he was going to try a GATOR GRIP socket. Bingo...that's the ticket!. It took a few turns of the socket slipping before it grabbed but once it set the tire came down smoothly. When I pulled the extension out, the GAToR GRIP stayed on the insert, which turned out to be OK because it gave me something to hold on to, to wiggle the insert out of the crank. I then had to use a small punch to get the socket off of the insert by pounding on several of the small pins in the socket. Come to find out, this insert was quite I bit bigger than the 9/16 socket many guys used. This insert barely fit in a six point 11/16 socket, to give you an idea. Maybe a bigger bolt extractor would have worked but nobody in our small town had one. One more thing...when removing the black guide tube, I turned it about 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn clockwise while pulling down and towards back of pickup. It sounded like it broke once it came out, but it had not. Hope this info helps someone...its what worked for my pickup,...But there is more than one way to skin a cat!
yes...the gator grip or the sears grip-tite will work.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:58 AM
DaveBB
Tuned
CPSUMMITX thanks for letting everyone know your findings. Nice to know that Ford has changed in the newer model.

Old 12-03-2015, 04:59 PM
SCREW
Freshman User
I pounded a socket over the end in my old Ford Truck. No sizes would work, but it was the difference between a 12-point and a 6-point socket, only one worked (sorry, don't remember which is was now). After hammering it on at the end of a long 1/2 - 3/8 extension, I zapped the spare down. After removing the keyed end, the 3/8 square drive of my long extension was the new tool to use for spare accessibility, as the original poster stated.

Old 01-16-2016, 01:40 PM
ShonH
New User
Smile 9/16 socket works great

I too had no key for my truck but tapped a 9/16 socket on it and lowered it with my rachet, then broke off the lock. Now it just takes my rod to lower it. Thank God! Dealer wanted $100 to get it lowered.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:06 AM
mjmck
Senior User
Another 9/16 socket win here:

Name:  IMG_1618_zpssfnjaixe.jpg
Views: 2257
Size:  181.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1625_zpsbkwvmbap.jpg
Views: 3219
Size:  165.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1626_zpsymhqsnxj.jpg
Views: 1999
Size:  182.8 KB

Old 02-27-2016, 08:43 AM
fasttommy
New User
There's another thread that explains how to get the key lock off without any sockets, adapters, etc. I did that method and it took like 10 minutes tops. You pull the tub off then reach over the top of the spare on the passenger side and pull the key adapter off with a vice grips. Super simple and quick. Probably only works if you have skinny forearms like me though, there's not a ton of space.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:19 PM
cre8fun
5th Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, I give up. has anyone been successful with a 2011 F250?

I tried hammering a 6 point craftsman 9/16" - no luck
I tried a 12 point
I went and got the craftsman bolt extractors - no luck. I tried hammering it on and softly trying to turn with a hand socket and I tried putting it on the end of my impact wrench.
I also got my hand up there and could get two fingers on the key but could not pull it out.
Many words were uttered.

two questions -
1) how hard is it to pull the key out?? I tried pulling but could not get a lot of grip on it.
2) for those who lowered their tire with sockets, how did you get enough grip to turn? I can see in my socket's and in the extractor that there is contact. I think the key actually damaged the extractor teeth. not turning.
open to suggestions

Old 05-23-2016, 03:23 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Originally Posted by cre8fun
Ok, I give up. has anyone been successful with a 2011 F250?

I tried hammering a 6 point craftsman 9/16" - no luck
I tried a 12 point
I went and got the craftsman bolt extractors - no luck. I tried hammering it on and softly trying to turn with a hand socket and I tried putting it on the end of my impact wrench.
I also got my hand up there and could get two fingers on the key but could not pull it out.
Many words were uttered.

two questions -
1) how hard is it to pull the key out?? I tried pulling but could not get a lot of grip on it.
2) for those who lowered their tire with sockets, how did you get enough grip to turn? I can see in my socket's and in the extractor that there is contact. I think the key actually damaged the extractor teeth. not turning.
open to suggestions
Sears and autozone sells grip-rite sockets. I bought both the metric and SAE and was able to find one that worked.

Before you do that, try a gas pipe with a cotterpin clip to one end...bang it in with a hammer...lower the wheel.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:27 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot

ripe-rite socket

Old 05-23-2016, 03:32 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot

at sears and autozone

Quick Reply: Lost Ford Spare Tire Key? This Works Great!!!