Lost Ford Spare Tire Key? This Works Great!!! - Page 4 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Lost Ford Spare Tire Key? This Works Great!!!

Old 10-15-2010, 05:34 PM
Senior User

ebbnflow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The 6 point 9/16" socket trick worked great, but you need 24" + of extension to get it all the way in. I've had me truck for 5 years and never needed to change a tire. I'm glad I did not get stuck on the side of the road with no key. I would be pissed. Thanks FTE.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:41 PM
New User

hipockets2842 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just got stuck with a flat left front on my 2008 KR Super Duty Crew Cab with with my wife, no key, in the rain, on the side of an interstate, in a curve, at night, talk about a rude awakening. If you ever need a rollback make sure it's a 19 footer, if they show up with a 17 footer the truck won't fit. Lessons learned!!!
Old 12-13-2010, 10:49 AM
Elder User

bunklash is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Sorry for the rotten luck hipockets. I'd come across a thread on this last year and removed the lock, preventive-like. Since I'm now prepared for it, I hope that means I'll never need it. One more reason I love FTE.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:53 AM
Freshman User

MyFirstFordV10 is starting off with a positive reputation.
THANKS !!!

Just wanted to post that this trick works GREAT !

I just picked up a 2006 F-250 CC V10 (hence the username) and while going over the rig before I go on a trip towing a 27' travel trailer, I checked the spare kit behind the seat, and sure enough, the 'key' was missing.

Bought the extractor sockets yesterday, quick tap with a hammer to set the socket over the key, and then lowered the spare. The extensions I used are the locking-collar type, so when I pulled them back out, the socket stayed connected to the extension, and (lucky me), the stupid lock came out with it !

Now I just put my 3/8 extension in and wind it up and down. What a life-saver this site is, especially considering the Ford dealers are worthless and completely un-helpful in my area.

This is my first venture into Ford gas engine rigs - my previous two trucks were an '89 SuperCab with a flat 7.3, and a '97 SuperCab with a 7.3 PSD. I still have the PSD, with just under (no kidding) 500,000 on it .

I bought this 2006 V10 for my daily driver - yeah, I know a lot of people think I'm crazy, but I get re-imbursed for mileage from work, and I appreciate the safety of being back up in a truck, as my other (now wife's) vehicle is a 2002 Mercury Mountaineer with 170,000 on it and still going.

Anyway, I just had to register on this site to give kudos to the OP for this excellent tip !
Old 02-22-2011, 09:20 PM
Postmaster

spinella is a splendid one to beholdspinella is a splendid one to beholdspinella is a splendid one to beholdspinella is a splendid one to beholdspinella is a splendid one to beholdspinella is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFirstFordV10 View Post
Just wanted to post that this trick works GREAT !

I just picked up a 2006 F-250 CC V10 (hence the username) and while going over the rig before I go on a trip towing a 27' travel trailer, I checked the spare kit behind the seat, and sure enough, the 'key' was missing.

Bought the extractor sockets yesterday, quick tap with a hammer to set the socket over the key, and then lowered the spare. The extensions I used are the locking-collar type, so when I pulled them back out, the socket stayed connected to the extension, and (lucky me), the stupid lock came out with it !

Now I just put my 3/8 extension in and wind it up and down. What a life-saver this site is, especially considering the Ford dealers are worthless and completely un-helpful in my area.

This is my first venture into Ford gas engine rigs - my previous two trucks were an '89 SuperCab with a flat 7.3, and a '97 SuperCab with a 7.3 PSD. I still have the PSD, with just under (no kidding) 500,000 on it .

I bought this 2006 V10 for my daily driver - yeah, I know a lot of people think I'm crazy, but I get re-imbursed for mileage from work, and I appreciate the safety of being back up in a truck, as my other (now wife's) vehicle is a 2002 Mercury Mountaineer with 170,000 on it and still going.

Anyway, I just had to register on this site to give kudos to the OP for this excellent tip !
welcome to fte. no need to carry a 3/8th. extention. your factory jack tool works perfect. it fits in the hole that the key was in.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:05 PM
Senior User

hotnanas is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Another happy reader here.

For those looking for the bolt extractor, I needed the 15mm extractor that was not included in the Irwin brand set. Returned that to homedepot and I ran to sears and picked up their kit for $19.99 and used the #9 sized socket, tapped with a mallet, and down it went.

The screwdriver popped the "lock" right off so now I don't need the missing "key".

While I had it lowered, I greased up the cable.

reps sent.

Name:  04f8739f.jpg
Views: 1096
Size:  126.9 KB
Old 03-13-2011, 11:22 PM
Junior User

ZekeD is starting off with a positive reputation.
excellent!!!!!

Dude! first ting in the AM....both spares gonna get dropped. Thanks

Zeke
Old 04-01-2011, 09:30 PM
Senior User

DaveBB is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hi. Something slightly different. I just had to lower the spare to put on a new hitch and found out I didn't have the key. Tried lots of things before finding that a Proto 9/16" 6 point 3/8" drive impact socket worked. I used a long extension and a 1/2" impact air wrench and pushed in on the wrench while turning counter clockwise.
Thanks to this thread now I don't have to go and find at the dealer the proper key. Sure glad this forum is here.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:33 PM
New User

moosebull is starting off with a positive reputation.
Smile Removing spare tire key

jonrjen was right on! You can remove the key and the sorry thing it is fitting into and then it works fine. Many thanks!
Old 04-20-2011, 03:40 PM
Senior User

John D in CT is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by donjamer View Post
Strange first post...

I would be hesitant to try it..
I think's it cool that his first post was a helpful tip, and not something that could have been googled in two minutes.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:14 AM
Senior User

DawnPatrol is starting off with a positive reputation.
Gotta love this FTE Forum....
I picked up my 06 Super Duty F250 Lariat about 6 months ago...
even made a 600 mile run into Baja with it.
Just today decided I better know how to change the tire if ever needed.
You guessed it... no spare tire lock!
Went onto FTE, searched around a little, and "voila"....
went down to Sears and got a 6 pt 9/16" socket.
Banged the 24" extension with a hammer a few times..
Came down like a champ.
The security key actually almost fell out from where it was mounted when I removed the socket (the key was firmly lodged in the socket)
That was a pretty lame excuse for "technology".
I like the Chevy answer with the lock in the bumper...

Whatever. You guys rock!
Old 01-21-2013, 01:05 AM
Freshman User

coastie.av8tor is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wow. Just picked up a 2005 F350 that was used to tow a lot. I better check on that spare hoist in the morning...
Old 01-21-2013, 10:42 AM
Posting Guru

Firekite has a great reputation on FTE.Firekite has a great reputation on FTE.Firekite has a great reputation on FTE.Firekite has a great reputation on FTE.Firekite has a great reputation on FTE.
That's pretty cool. I know it can definitely be a pain in the butt...
Old 01-21-2013, 07:45 PM
Junior User

fbnmark is starting off with a positive reputation.
Used to go on a lot of tow calls "flat tire no spare" get on scene and no spare turns out to be a flat spare or a rusted jammed cable system. Spare tire maint. should be included in your routine maint. schedule.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:41 PM
New User

TwoQuack is starting off with a positive reputation.
Does anyone know where to get the hand crank to fit into the winch receptacle?

I bought a 2000 F250 and the spare tire tools aren't there.
I have a new spare and the winch works fine. But my mechanic put it up there, how I do not know. He did say the hand crank wasn't available from his used parts source.

Thanks,

TwoQuack