EGR Delete On My '93 F150 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 03:15 PM
cwordsmith
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EGR removal and other emissions stuff

I am also removing a 1985 302 into an 54 F100 and want to know what stuff to remove from the carb/engine.

At the top of the picture is the EGR (I hope!) this can be unbolted and a blank off plate installed - right?.

Underneath the EGR is the main vacuum line from the manifold. Can I disconnect one of the smaller lines and block it off? and use the other one for the dizzy?

Underneath that is some other emissions junk - can I just unscrew them and block them off?

In the picture below that is the front of the carb. Can I block off the line at the top of the pict coming out of the carb? - there is also the same line at the back of the carb.

Underneath that line are two others. The one with the square head connector goes to one of the cylinder head cover breathers. Can I block that off and just use a vented cap in the cover?. What is the line next to it - can that be plugged as well?

Next picture is a Dashpot?? Thingy with wires coming out of it. Can I just leave it in place and not connect the wires?

Sorry about all the questions

Chris

Attached Images    
Old 02-13-2011, 03:30 PM
our 54 4d
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont know what to tell you. The reason I am removeing the EGR is that its bad and its an 180 bill to replace. Why are you wanting to ditch it? If thiers senors and power to it you will need to put an elimator kit so the volts go to the computer so every thing works like its spose to. Sorry I am not much help!

Old 02-14-2011, 12:29 PM
cwordsmith
Junior User

I am putting the engine in with no computer attachments. I just want it naturally carburated. I am going to blank off the EGR and all the rest of the emission control stuff on the carb.

I downloaded a carb manual and found out that the 3/8" tubes that come out of the top front and back of the carb are for vapour release from the float chambers and are piped to the cylinder attached to the firewall. (your folgers can!).

Obviously these cannot be blocked off as they serve some purpose. I 'm not sure if we can just leave them open and blowing in the slipstream around the engine. If I had the cylinder I probably would pipe them in again.

Chris

Old 02-14-2011, 12:49 PM
our 54 4d
New User
Ok the folgers can i was talking about is an vac ami or storage i don t know. Not vapor thiers an vapor line that gose from the gas tank vent to the intake. vea an carhacoal canster. (dont mind my spellig or lack their of) If your not useing an computer then just block off the plate and remove or just leave the power unpluged.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:51 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by our 54 4d
Tom I am looking for some advise. I am doing an simlair project only its an 5.0 out of an 93 f 150 going in to an 54 f100. I have already removed the air pump and caped the line comeing out of the back of the heads. I don t under stand the tech words like purge canister; WOT relay, TAB and TAD. Can you give me direction I would also like to remove the EGR too So I don t need the black folgers can on the right side of the motor compt. Thanks for any help
Go to www.fordfuelinjection.com its a great site for learning alot of these abbreviations and Ford EFI stuff.
check it out!

Old 04-29-2015, 02:41 AM
tripletm
New User
Actuator eliminators

At what points and in what manner did you install the actuator eliminators?

Old 05-14-2015, 06:15 PM
brinker88
Junior User
I completely deleted ALL smog on my 302. I used an ebay billet block off plate, an ebay EGR simulator for a mustang (they use the same plug), and used 5/8 x 1" bolts for the back of the heads. I went with an 85.5 inch belt due to deleting my smog pump and using bbk underdrive pulleys. Also deleted all vacuum lines/electronics for smog and plugged the holes on the intake. Everything works great and no check engine light.

Old 05-16-2015, 01:04 PM
tripletm
New User
Thanks Brinker 88

Originally Posted by tripletm
At what points and in what manner did you install the actuator eliminators?
Just wanted to say thanks to Brinker 88. That helped me out.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:55 AM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Here's another way to do this: just tap the hole in the upper intake with a 3/8" NPT tap and screw in a 3/8" allen head pipe plug in the tapped hole. Then ignore the Check Engine Light.

Old 05-17-2015, 01:32 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by brinker88
I completely deleted ALL smog on my 302. I used an ebay billet block off plate, an ebay EGR simulator for a mustang (they use the same plug), and used 5/8 x 1" bolts for the back of the heads. I went with an 85.5 inch belt due to deleting my smog pump and using bbk underdrive pulleys. Also deleted all vacuum lines/electronics for smog and plugged the holes on the intake. Everything works great and no check engine light.
How does your mileage compare before/after the conversion?

Do you have a before/after picture of the engine bay so we can see how much of a difference all the smog equipment makes?

Old 05-18-2015, 05:12 AM
brinker88
Junior User
Originally Posted by andym
How does your mileage compare before/after the conversion?

Do you have a before/after picture of the engine bay so we can see how much of a difference all the smog equipment makes?
Unfortunately, no mileage yet. I had a problem with my oil pump so I have to tear the pan off next weekend and see what's going on. First test drive seized the distributor. Something's definitely wrong. As far as throttle response and power is concerned, I couldn't tell you if it helped or not. I put full exhaust, headers, new y-pipe, flow matched injectors, msd ignition, 9mm ford racing wires, bbk underdrive pulleys and there was a massive improvement in power.

Here's the after photo:

Old 05-10-2019, 05:21 PM
KeithLewis28
New User
Originally Posted by ThaBamster
I've already done the EGR/Thermact-ectomy on my '89 5.8 351W with a steel plate block-off on the EGR and have plugged all the various orifices. I'm still getting the 34 engine code, and I've forgotten how to figure out what value resistor to plug in.

I'm not scared of wiring in an in-line resistor; I'm just hazy on which resistor would do the job? The RIM/RTM (whoever) site sells 75 ohm 3 watters for the solenoids for 2 bucks and the dummy plug for $20. I'd rather spend 2 bucks...

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Which pins do plug the resistor in on the egr position sensor?

Old 04-12-2020, 12:12 PM
Austin Schmidt
New User
Originally Posted by alsiroc
I just did this on my 89 5.0

Only problem was the "header plug" wasn't right for my truck.
From what I read the exhaust gas was taken from the exhaust manifold in later years. On mine it comes from a connection on the intake manifold (PITA to get to) I ended up bending the EGR pipe over on itself to seal it as it was already broken.

Beyond that: The Plug in module and Block off plate work well.

It's nothing that can't be fabricated yourself... The plugin is just a circuit that sends the computer something like .5 - .8 volts showing that the EGR is closed.

I imagine the block off plate could be made by buying a new EGR gasket and tracing it onto a piece of metal, cutting it out and drilling a couple holes.

I ordered the parts from RJM, desipte being entirely unresponsive to be contacting them - they did send the parts.
I have a 89 f150 5.0 and am trying to do the same thing. So far i have just put a plate over the hole for the egr valve. I have a plug in module coming in the mail. So i just plug that in right? And finally cap the tube that was connected to the bottom of the egr and thats it right??? I hope its that simple.

Old 08-03-2022, 11:00 PM
anpahipal
6th Gear
Still showing code 33

Hey guys! the guy before me just chopped the wires that go into the vacuum canister (black can) and stopped using the EGR.

When I bought the truck there was no code until I disconnected the battery and the code showed up.

I have followed the steps above and I still can’t fix it.

any help will be appreciated.

Old 08-08-2022, 06:32 AM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,157 Likes on 915 Posts
Originally Posted by anpahipal

any help will be appreciated.
Start your own thread and provide more details of your truck, i.e. year/model/engine/transmission and what "wires" were chopped going into the vacuum canister. There are no wires...only vacuum lines.