89 IDI 7.3 and 97 7.3 powerstroke

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 03:18 PM
freightdogfred
Cross-Country
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
89 IDI 7.3 and 97 7.3 powerstroke

hey all

Looking to run my 89 IDI 7.3 on WVO, it's already got 2 tanks in it factory stock. I figured just put WVO in one tank (prefiltered) and just accept a little WVO in the diesel tank during purges. Anybody got recomendations for a heat setup? I was leaning towards the Fattywagons heated filter, and then putting Injector line heaters for overkill. Once it got hot, switch to WVO with the stock tank setup/switch, and for shutdown, purge to the diesel tank and accept a little WVO in it. I live in the caribbean, it never gets colder than 70 degrees. Any thoughts, ideas?

I've also just found a 97 F250 with a 7.3 Powerstroke. I guess this engine is not an IDI, how would it repond to a WVO? any ideas or anyone set one of these up?

Any/all advice welcomed thanks fred

Old 03-16-2009, 02:03 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,895 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Using a stock tank for VO is probably not a good idea. If you add a heated pick-up to it like the FW or similar, it will likely cause alot of polymerization build-up in just a short amount of time. I have personally seen several attempts to use stock tanks that failed like this. Secondly, the pollak 6 way valves tend to fail frequently in VO service, ESPECIALLY if you actually get the oil hot enough to prevent long-term damage to the engine. The 'little bit' of VO contaminating your diesel from the 6 way valves is also a much bigger problem than you give credit. The issue is the VO (specifically PHO and animal fats) tend to seperate from the (lighter) diesel and find their way to the bottom of the tank - right where the fuel pick-up is. So, when you start your truck cold its first drink is also cold VO - sounds like you've learned enough already to know why this is bad. Even with low temps of 70*, some combustion gasses get past the rings until engine reaches operating temp - when these gasses contain raw VO (due to incomplete combustion due to low temps and poor atomisation) - the engine oil becomes contaminated with VO, which RAPIDLY polymerizes and reduces lubrication = increased engine wear.

So, my humble recommendation is do it 'right' and insure you will save money by being able to use SVO without trashing an IP or injectors (or worse!). Either replace the second tank with aluminum or add a new VO tank. Use a heated pick-up like FW or Atric Fox (avoid heating the WHOLE tank, this decreases the usable life of the VO). Use at least 2 3way valves, Frybrid, hydraforce or greasecar (the only good thing they sell) or add a 3rd valve to 'loop' the VO return and save that heat instead of returning the hot fuel to tank. I personally like the effeciency of HIH (actually TIH, alum fuel line in heater hose), but HOH can be OK in your climate as long as you have an adequately sized final HE. Finally, put a FPHE (flat plate heat exchanger) on VO as close to IP as possible.

I have done a few DIY conversions now and I truly believe the Frybrid system is a 'good deal' - especially if you value your time. They use nothing but the highest quality components (not cheap) and everything you need is 'in the box'. Oh yeah, it also WILL WORK, the first time and every time - without wrecking your IP, injectors or ENGINE!

That said, I believe you can easily build a system yourself - but plan on dozens of trips to the hardware store and some sleepless nites 'hoping' your investment will work. Oh yeah, when you get your list together and estimate the costs - doubling that number should get ya close to your final investment!!

Best of luck and let us know what ya decide!

Old 03-16-2009, 02:14 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,895 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Oh yeah, the PSD makes the BEST VO conversion IMHO. For best results, I suggest ya ditch the mechanical fuel pump and use (2) electric, internally-regulated pumps and check valves to segregate the fuels. Then use opposite end of (now deadheaded) fuel rails to purge. This design provides 100% seperate and redundant fuel systems and a 5-10 sec purge. The deadheaded design provides a very effective 'final' HE for the VO which allows for greater 'forgiveness' as far as heating the VO goes (I still would have a FPHE just before heads.

Almost forgot again, the line heaters and vegtherms, etc have a strong tendency to 'scorch' the VO - sending little chunks of carbonized terror into your injectors, etc since these are generally downstream of filters.

Just my $0.02. Take it or leave it, it won't hurt my feelings I PROMISE!!

BTW, I love St. Croix/St. Thomas - been toooo long since I was down there!