Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air pump supercharger, would this work?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 04:15 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lillbro11
any little bit of air could make a difference. will it be enough to notice, who knows and probably doubtfull but could help fuel milage.
it will not be enough to notice.

it will not change fuel mileage.

it is not move enough air to make one iota of difference.

it will be a total waste of time.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:28 PM
BigBlueOx
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by quicklook2
it will not be enough to notice.

it will not change fuel mileage.

it will not move enough air to make one iota of difference.

it will be a total waste of time.
I'm right there with ya guy. BIG waste of time! But some things you just have to find out for yourself.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:40 PM
mstngmikegt
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like a nice idea but volume output of the pump isn't enough to make any real difference in the performance of the engine, either from a power or economy standpoint I suspect. Since, as I understand it, the smog pump is a circulation pump, no real compression of the air occurs and all you are effectively doing is directing the air (heated somewhat because it passes through the hot circulation pump) to the otherwise cooler intake air box. If anything, I would suspect that it would cost power and mileage since the truck is MAF equipped so mixture is controlled based on, among other things, actual readings regarding the density and temperature of the incoming air (and hotter air is less dense, thus less oxygen is present so combustion is less efficient= less power and economy).

If it works for you, though, I want to know! You and I have very, very similar trucks and I would love it if more power and/or gas mileage would be that easy (and cheap) to come by. Good luck and let us know!!

Old 03-12-2009, 05:59 PM
DasCheckers
Elder User
We're gonna see about this one!

Old 03-12-2009, 06:09 PM
qman
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm with Das. I'd love to see the results. It seems to me that even a little difference would be a difference. Many of you are saying "no" difference and I don't understand why.

I'm not trying to be a pr*ck but so far there has not been a single response that can explain "why" it won't work. Just a lot of fellas that "think" it won't work. And why would MAF matter? If he's feeding air into the intake before the MAF than the MAF should be able to read it and know there's now more air.

From what I know about throttles, when you step on the gas pedal, you're really stepping on the air pedal. You're opening up the air hole which the computer reads and then follows with a corresponding amount of fuel. I live at altitude of 6300 feet and anytime I've ever driven a vehicle to a lower altitude it becomes a race car. I had an old Volvo that was gutless up here but when I went to Phoenix (1000 ft.), it was like the ole Volvo was on steroids. It seems like this air idea would be akin to moving to a lower altitude.

As for reasoning on the flip side of this idea, if it were that simple it would probably have already been done. It's real hard to come by a unique idea. Not impossible, just not easy.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:35 PM
Beastly
Senior User
Here's my thought as to why it wouldn't work.

Turbochargers, and superchargers, both increase the air pressure going into the intake manifold/combustion chamber. Unless you could rig some sort of check valve into the cold air intake to shut off the flow of outside air, you would never actually increase the air pressure in the intake system.

If you were able to rig such a check valve system up, the air pump would have to be capable of producing more air than the engine could use drawing naturally, before you would see any benefit at all.

I don't think the air pump would be capable of that kind of output.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:42 PM
Beastly
Senior User
Another interesting little tidbit that I learned while working the John Deere parts counter a long time ago.

In a fuel injected engine (gas, or diesel), a turbocharger is really nothing more than an altitude compensator. It's entire job is only to make sure that enough oxygen gets into the combustion chamber for a complete fuel burn. The amount of additional power available solely depends on the preset amount of fuel that the injectors can deliver.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:57 PM
BigBlueOx
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Beastly
Here's my thought as to why it wouldn't work.

Turbochargers, and superchargers, both increase the air pressure going into the intake manifold/combustion chamber. Unless you could rig some sort of check valve into the cold air intake to shut off the flow of outside air, you would never actually increase the air pressure in the intake system.

If you were able to rig such a check valve system up, the air pump would have to be capable of producing more air than the engine could use drawing naturally, before you would see any benefit at all.

I don't think the air pump would be capable of that kind of output.
I concur completly. And i know the air pump is NOT capale of that kind of output. It has what......? A 1-1/2" hose coming off from it? And thats being generous. Look at the size of the intake tube. I know it feels like it might blow a lot of air, but hook a 4" hose up to it and see how much volocity it has.
Im done!

Old 03-12-2009, 07:12 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Dont you think that Ford engineers, who for the most part are smarter than us, thought they could gain ANYTHING from tapping into a existing on board system, that they would have?........If there was anything to this they would have increased the CFM output of the pump so it could do its job for emissions and be used as booster to the air induction system.......There is simply not enough volume here to make any difference.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:20 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hot air, not enough pressure, computer that will not adjust to that small air difference.

are just a few of the reasons this will not work.

good enough reasons?

Old 03-12-2009, 09:45 PM
Fordenthusiasts
Tuned
Well hey, you can't blame a fellow for trying now can you. I told you from the start it was just a crazy idea I had, probably because all the blood rushing to my head looking down at the engine trying to find the squeal. Now I understand all of your guys ideas for not working and it sounds doubtful, but the "Tim the tool man" in me doesn't want to give up till I see cold hard evidence, and Das looks like he might be able to take care of that. So in two weeks if he can get something built and put on the dyno we'll see.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:33 AM
capn kirk
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...you could see if you could change the pully size get some more flow...and a decent check valve (if you want to try to use one) to make it work in the intake tube would cause too much obstruction of the air-flow, but maybe a plastic or rubber flap with a loose hinge could work like a check valve...

in reality who knows if it will work more than likely wont but if you get any gain i'll do it too so will almost everyone here...o and just in case anyone was curious that first bit was a joke...then again...

Old 03-13-2009, 11:58 AM
DasCheckers
Elder User
Everyone's ideas will be helpful! Let's see if this bad boy will do anything at all.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:34 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You need to inject the air AT THE AIR BOX, so the MAF sees the additional air and compensates fuel to actually make it make any more power. If not, the added air(as little as it is), will just cause a lean issue.

Turbos and small superchargers turn 5-10-15K rpm to make the small vanes move enough air to actually pressurize the intake. This makes the motor injest more air/fuel mixture then it can under normal atmosphere pressure, thus making more power. Blowing air(likely under 1#/sq in) won't make a hoot'n difference.

Nice theory, but too small to be of any use. They have already figured it out, as turbos and supers have been around for a long time.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:15 PM
DasCheckers
Elder User
Ok everyone, I have speed density, not MAF.

Quick Reply: Air pump supercharger, would this work?