newbie 250 7.3 convert

Old 03-10-2009, 05:59 AM
48fordf3
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
newbie 250 7.3 convert

OK - I am thinking of buying an 89 F250 with the 7.3 and convert to biodiesel as part of an engineering /auto club for middle and high schoolers. Has anyone converted an 89 and what problems should I prepare for? It has an aftermarket turbo kit as well.

Not sure of start up and maintenance costs. I live in Mass so the cold seems to be an issue?

Thank you - Jeff

Old 03-10-2009, 12:16 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Not sure what you mean by converting. The first diesels ran on peanut oil, when its warm you can run on straight or waste vegetable oil (recommend filter and dewater), and biodiesel runs without modification. I ran 30% bio mix @ -10 a couple weeks ago.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:20 AM
48fordf3
Junior User
As I said - I am a newbie so my vocab may be foreign to you veterans of using veg oil. Even knowing the dewatering and filtering costs if I were to collect say fry oil from the local school would be great info to know the costs etc. I was hoping to use this project as a way for not only me to learn but also for students in an engineering, green, car club etc. to learn from also. If you could assist with helping me estimate costs and how the fuel injection of this year is better than a later year (after 94?) would be helpful. Was hoping someone with a similar year vehicle 1989 and engine actually has done this and is on FTE.

Thank you for your reply.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:36 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I've been making and using bio for over 5 years. I run my whole ranch with it. The only changes necessary to run it in a diesel engine made prior to 1994 is changing the rubber fuel lines and injector "o" rings over to Viton.

I recover 45% of the Methanol, and my costs average $1.20 per gallon.

If you have specific questions just ask them, and someone here will help you find the answers.

I have 2 87's using it, several tractors, and gensets. I live in oregon and run B-100 most of the year. In the winter I use B-80 untill the temps fall below +10 deg, then switch to B-50 for below 0 temps.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:07 AM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 48fordf3
As I said - I am a newbie so my vocab may be foreign to you veterans of using veg oil. Even knowing the dewatering and filtering costs if I were to collect say fry oil from the local school would be great info to know the costs etc. I was hoping to use this project as a way for not only me to learn but also for students in an engineering, green, car club etc. to learn from also. If you could assist with helping me estimate costs and how the fuel injection of this year is better than a later year (after 94?) would be helpful. Was hoping someone with a similar year vehicle 1989 and engine actually has done this and is on FTE.

Thank you for your reply.
The major cost by the batch is methanol and the base that you use. My methanol runs about $4.00 a gallon from a local source, and we use KOH as a base which we are currently getting from AAA chemical or Utah Biodiesel Supply @ about $50 for 16 lbs. The cost for the processor itself depends on what you try and make, and what materials that you have on hand that you don't have to buy. We only needed to purchase a 19.95 pump and some 3/4 inch black pipe fittings.
If you need to buy everything for your reactor, it will probably run at least 200 bucks.
Haven't quite caught Fabman for cost per gallon, figured my last batch @ $1.38/gal. (he gets bulk)

Old 03-11-2009, 02:05 PM
TXHillCountry
Elder User
I think we're confusing two things here.

I think he really wants to know about using SVO (straight vegetable oil) in his truck, and what issues are involved in both dewatering, filtering, etc the oil. Not making biodiesel.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:36 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 48fordf3
OK - I am thinking of buying an 89 F250 with the 7.3 and convert to biodiesel as part of an engineering /auto club for middle and high schoolers. Has anyone converted an 89 and what problems should I prepare for? It has an aftermarket turbo kit as well.

Not sure of start up and maintenance costs. I live in Mass so the cold seems to be an issue?

Thank you - Jeff
Originally Posted by TXHillCountry
I think we're confusing two things here.

I think he really wants to know about using SVO (straight vegetable oil) in his truck, and what issues are involved in both dewatering, filtering, etc the oil. Not making biodiesel.
If you read it again he said "convert to biodiesel".

Old 03-12-2009, 11:22 AM
TXHillCountry
Elder User
Originally Posted by fabmandelux
If you read it again he said "convert to biodiesel".
I agree, however the language he uses in his later posts seems to indicate a desire to learn how to clean/dewater SVO to burn in his truck, and what might need to be done to the truck to accomplish that.

Here's a thought: Why don't we just ask him

Old 03-16-2009, 02:50 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,883 Likes on 1,137 Posts
Well, I use SVO and biodiesel and have experience with IDI's and PSD's using both.

I decided on SVO originally, because after the initial conversion investment, my fuel cost was fixed (I estimate $0.10 - $0.15/gal) and I wouldn't need the methanol and caustic hanging around waiting for disaster! I also read of all the horror stories people with the cheap DIY processors have - its easy to make a batch of soap instead of fuel, etc.

Later, a friend bought a BioPro 190 - its easier to make 50 gals of B100 (in 48hrs!) with that thing than making a batch of cookies, and takes less hands on time. It really takes the 'challenge' of making good fuel out of the equation - but it ain't cheap.

I travel all over the country for work and have had the oppurtunity to meet VO'ers everywhere. I've met lots of folks with crappy VO conversions (sold by the most popular vendors) who have nothing but trouble, or who only run a certain kind of oil and just the right weather. Trust me, all conversions are NOT created equal. I strongly suggest getting a copy of Forrest Gregs book SVO. He has a great summary of the SVO knowlege 'to date'. Also read all the resources, VO theory, kit comparison, etc tabs on the frybrid home page. LOTS of 'good' info there. Avoid GC and infopoop forums, too much poor info/'old' ideas there. We have learned ALOT more about SVO in the last couple years and it seems like many of the 'vendors' of systems and parts kind of have their heads in the sand and continue to supply problematic 'kits' and designs.

My PSD has 80k SVO trouble-free miles now and my wife's has 20k already (in just the last 6 mths!) I drag a 5ver all over the US with mine and wife commutes 100 miles/day to college.

GREAT project! Have fun and feel free to ask questions as you learn.

- Jason