1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Our economy and our trucks

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 09:22 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
personally don't give a rats butt 'bout obama or his bull sh-- and parlor magic tricks , but ..... i dont know and wont speculate about the value and market for my truck as i don't care . if i was to be { always looking !! } in the market for something else i will wait till i find one in my price range irregardless of money . economy ?? if i wanted economy i'd be driving one of those da-n ugly , uncomfortable , pos sheople mobiles that they are letting go of so cheaply now it seems . i bought mine to have a beloved old truck to DRIVE daily as long as im not working on it { i.e. as in now } and be different from the flock .if the government or that dumb a-- that got elected wants to try and pry me out of my truck bring it on boys !!!!!!!! tax me ??? hades they're doing that now and want to raise 'em again to help pay for his master bail out plan i understand . hmmmm ... real good odummy save us now sc-e- us more later by taking more of my paycheck to pay for ALL THE POLITICIANS BULL CRAP !!!!!!!! LATER GUYS GONNA HEAD BACK TO WORK TO GIVE 'EM SOME MORE ... THE GOVERNMENT IS LIKE MY EX WIFE ALWAYS WANTING FURTHER INTO MY POCKETS !!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-10-2009, 09:45 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by husker
I'd be more inclined in the long term to see stuff change to force people to buy newer cars to stimulate the economy. We all know that vehicles now last a lot longer in terms of not needing a major overhaul like 30 or more years ago. It will probably be harder to be able to keep driving an old vehicle on a regular basis as we get forced into higher economy standards and the cost of fuel goes up in the future and it will.

One way to get people to buy new vehicles is to make it difficult to even keep driving a vehicle that is 15 or 20 years old. One way would be to tax vehicles based on MPG or on emissions. I'm basically a "progressive" on many issues, and don't want to see this, but I think it will happen to help Detroit and have less to do with other political agendas, but will be couched in those terms.
I had a feeling this post had the potential to get political. The above opinion is flawed in a couple of different ways.

First, I don't believe our behavior, as long it doesn't harm any one, should be regulated. It's our right as US citizen to have the freedom to choose. Passing laws to control our behavior is not the way to go. It won't help to not allow people to own older vehicles. What about the people in the lower economic levels? They're people who cannot afford to buy new cars. The secondary auto market might be the only option they have to be able to own a car. It easy to say, “Make them take a bus.” What about the inner city person who has been able to find a job in an outlying area of a city that’s not serviced by a bus line. Also, who wants to sit a bus for 1½ and transfer two times when it’s only a ½ hour drive by car?

The second flaw affects our hobby directly. Just recently there was an alert posted on every auto related discussion board I visit about the provision in the latest legislation proposed by Pelosi. In the bill she wanted to have a “Crush” program, pretty much for the same reason as you have stated, to stimulate new car buying. All this does is pay inflated prices for vehicles people have sitting on their property and haven’t driven in years. It also greatly adds to the depletion of the dwindling vintage parts sources.

Before implementing something like this you have to think about the ramifications of such an action. Unfortunately, most of the people who want to enact laws to do something like this don’t look past the initial consequences.

I was listening to the news the other day when they interviewed a new car dealer about the current slump in new car sales. I know he was talking for his view point but what he suggested made a lot of sense to me. He suggested that the government reinstitute tax credits to companies who buy new vehicles for business. Now that makes a lot more sense than imposing more taxes on the people of this country. We don’t need more taxes! We’re already going to get it screwed, along with future generations, by the “Stimulus” package that has been passed and the budget being considered.

Before you blast my opinion as another "tax break for the rich" I want you to know I am not rich by any means. All I will say is I run my own business and make below $100K, way below, so I'm not one of the rich. I am however in an industry that gets money from the rich to build their products. I just recently lost out on a $45K job, a huge job for me, because the "rich" people who own the company decided it was better, because of the uncertain financial future, to hold off on buying new equipment. I want to get the "rich" peoples' money, by working for it, not taking it away from via taxes.

I usually try not to post non subject related thoughts I have on hobby discussion boards unless I see a post with great harm coming from it. I am very concerned about our future and seeing some one suggest we need more constraints and taxes is just plain scary and I’m not going to just sit by and not say something.

I also have a feeling this post is going to heated and eventually get pulled.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.—Edmund Burke

EDITED:Just found this on the Ford barn and thought it was pertinent to the subject:

I would also like to add "old truck"

Old 03-10-2009, 03:21 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
It is a real buyers market and the price of trucks are coming way down....and down....and downnnnnn!
I just bought a 53 with a running flathead and it drives and stops,and another 56 f100 that is a 6 cylinder that runs but needs brake work--both--1000 bucks.

I always look for 56s and will look to buy any good deal out there.....even in this economy.
I think the trucks under 1000 dollars are actually worth around 3000 bucks .....especially if they run and drive.
I am told that a friend of mine is selling everything in Georgia.....and it is real bad down there. I hope he can find some work.....or he will be selling his truck.....sad!!

Old 03-10-2009, 03:23 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Oh--almost forgot.....just got a 56 f700 hood scoop setup......I have been looking for another nice one....and it is nice!
The guy said a year ago that it wasn't for sale...till now!!!

Old 03-10-2009, 04:46 PM
husker
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
Bob, I wasn't advocating the taxing or the crushing, I just think we will see those kinds of legislation to "help" the auto industry and to get so called non eco friendly vehicles off the road. My thoughts were just an observation. I love driving my old simple stuff and their ease and simplicity of repair. Well maybe some of the repairs haven't been simple or easy for me.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:00 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
These Trucks never were nor will be an investment.
I see it as a buyers market, I see things everyday in the paper or on Craigs List that are super deals if your in the market.
I also see many people trying to sell the Rare/Hard to Find items (their words) way overpriced.
The only name responsible for todays situation is Greed.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:30 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by husker
Bob, I wasn't advocating the taxing or the crushing, I just think we will see those kinds of legislation to "help" the auto industry and to get so called non eco friendly vehicles off the road. My thoughts were just an observation. I love driving my old simple stuff and their ease and simplicity of repair. Well maybe some of the repairs haven't been simple or easy for me.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.''~ Ronald Reagan

Old 03-10-2009, 07:56 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.''~ Ronald Reagan
And the biggest lie told is "And we're glad to have you".

Old 03-10-2009, 08:50 PM
eman92082
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts
No doubt it will be a buyers market. I don't want to be politcal. I can hardlly watch the news right now.

The difference will be that many sales will be out of desparation which is sad.

Tough to buy from someone who feels like us about our iron but has no choice.....

Old 03-10-2009, 09:07 PM
woodyf1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems to me that things are only worth what people are willing to pay for them.That being said bad economy or good economy their are always those out there that either expect too much for their item or wont pay what they are worth.This to me is a hobby I dont expect to see an accurate value for my time

Old 03-10-2009, 09:35 PM
1959_f100
Senior User
i no for sure ill never get an accurate value for my time cause it usually takes me twice as long to do something to my truck than other people since half the time its my first time doing something and i dont know how to do it. but i would give up my right hand befour i gave up my trucks

Old 03-10-2009, 09:52 PM
Michigan Rick
Senior User
( I can hardlly watch the news right now. )

apparently you don't watch Robin Mead in the morning!

My town is the "The anti air-pollution center of the world" for factories. We have 3 companies who do most of the countries air-pollution scrubbers. A guy there that shops at my store says they just need to work on a scrubber for car exhaust and the pollution from vehicles would be next to none. Then we could drive what we want when we want. Fossil fuels will always be a problem but there are other sources and some not discovered that'll keep us truckin old Ford trucks.

Michigan Rick

Old 03-11-2009, 10:52 AM
HD74
Elder User
Well all politics aside, just two weeks ago a 52 F-1 sold on ebay for $23,000 with not the best restoration I've ever seen and just last week while I was working on my truck I was aproached by someone and ask if I was interested in selling my truck. Who would have ever thought that these truck would even be around for 50-60 year. I think they'll be around long after were all gone and keep on increasing in value.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:03 PM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Michigan Rick
( I can hardlly watch the news right now. )

apparently you don't watch Robin Mead in the morning!

My town is the "The anti air-pollution center of the world" for factories. We have 3 companies who do most of the countries air-pollution scrubbers. A guy there that shops at my store says they just need to work on a scrubber for car exhaust and the pollution from vehicles would be next to none. Then we could drive what we want when we want. diFossil fuels will always be a problem but there are other sources and some not scovered that'll keep us truckin old Ford trucks.

Michigan Rick

When I can"t buy anymore gas, or battery storage,piston rings etc,etc..might be about time we see the new improved "flux-capacitor " hitting the local AutoZone counters...I can"t wait to stuff one of those bad boys under the old hood.....Who needs a space shuttle with that kinda horsepower....

Old 08-06-2011, 08:46 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I'm still not sure if it's a buyer's market now, or not.

Quick Reply: Our economy and our trucks