Lower waterneck oil filter asmbly water leak w/pics - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L)
Reload this Page >

Lower waterneck oil filter asmbly water leak w/pics

Notices

Old 03-08-2009, 10:57 PM
SSG VA BEACH
Elder User
SSG VA BEACH is starting off with a positive reputation.

Hey this is on a 4.6 reman engine put in a month ago. I am not positive exactly where the leak is, either bolts or gasket but it only leaks after cool down when sitting. While driving there is no evidence of leakage. Today I tightened the bolts about a turn each, I am leary of cracking this thing. Should'nt the bolts have had a sealant applied to them at time of install, and if not what do I have to do to stop this. It is pissing me off to have anything leaking however small and I fear this will just get worse and the proximity to the oil filter is causing some worry also.

Thanks mfor any advice on this.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:20 AM
SSG VA BEACH
Elder User
Any help out there ? Is there water behind these bolts ?

Old 03-10-2009, 02:50 PM
l-m tech
Posting Guru
l-m tech is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
when the new engine was installed they could of put the wrong gasket on(there are 2 of them,1 blue and 1 orange)or the they didnt clean the surfaces good enough.i dont remember ever having to put thread sealer on the bolts ,and i have done almost 100 of these engines. and my other tech tells me to give you a HOORAH!!

Old 03-11-2009, 10:45 AM
SSG VA BEACH
Elder User
Originally Posted by l-m tech View Post
when the new engine was installed they could of put the wrong gasket on(there are 2 of them,1 blue and 1 orange)or the they didnt clean the surfaces good enough.i dont remember ever having to put thread sealer on the bolts ,and i have done almost 100 of these engines. and my other tech tells me to give you a HOORAH!!
Well a little water came out of one of the bolt holes but not as if it was thru to the water jacket. My gasket apears black, the engine was a romeo but now I don't know. I am gonna take it up to the service people who installed it and see if they will take care of it. If it is leaking coolant isn't it possible that it could be also mixing with the oil behind that water neck ?

Thanks for your replies

Old 03-11-2009, 12:38 PM
l-m tech
Posting Guru
the color of the gasket is the seal on the inside of the plastic.it is a raised lip gasket.i havnt seen them mix oil and water yet but there is always a first for everything.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:37 PM
SSG VA BEACH
Elder User
Originally Posted by l-m tech View Post
the color of the gasket is the seal on the inside of the plastic.it is a raised lip gasket.i havnt seen them mix oil and water yet but there is always a first for everything.
OK after going to one parts store and calling another ( these people don't think I know what I am talking about,...waterneck/oil filter assembly) I went to the Ford parts counter and have the gasket foe a romeo 4.6 which is blue on lips. I wanted both gaskets and they said they were the same ? Anyway... thanks I hope this fixes it. What might leak right above that, but only when cool overnight not under pressure which is what is happening ?

Old 03-11-2009, 06:16 PM
SSG VA BEACH
Elder User
Here is the gasket and part number for anyone else that may run into needing one. 4.6 Romeo

And kind of what it looks like, this is a little diff than mine.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:46 PM
LxMan1
LxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant future
At parts houses it is called an oil filter gasket. There are two different ones, one with oil cooler and one without. I have done one on a 94 4.6L Cougar and a 93 Mark VIII. Be lucky you have a truck. Much more room to work in!!

Old 03-14-2009, 12:13 AM
SSG VA BEACH
Elder User
I had the installer of the reman engine change out the gasket. He said his guys probably used the old gasket, so now I am like ok I wonder what other short cuts they took on the job.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:02 AM
acertm
Junior User
acertm is starting off with a positive reputation.
I-m tech I have a 99SD 5.4l, and have a similar problem, leaking small amount of coolant but can't see the leak. I changed all hoses, the heater tube under the intake, and the oil cooler. Problem still exists. Ofcourse my oil cooler and filter are at the back of the engine.
My question has to do with the lower radiator hose inlet tube. Being behind the pwr stering pump, everything is cruddy. Is there a similar gasket as the tube is aluminum,aginst the block. Is it common for a leak to occur here?
Thankyou for any info you can provide. Fred

Old 04-13-2009, 10:30 PM
SSG VA BEACH
Elder User
Originally Posted by acertm View Post
I-m tech I have a 99SD 5.4l, and have a similar problem, leaking small amount of coolant but can't see the leak. I changed all hoses, the heater tube under the intake, and the oil cooler. Problem still exists. Ofcourse my oil cooler and filter are at the back of the engine.
My question has to do with the lower radiator hose inlet tube. Being behind the pwr stering pump, everything is cruddy. Is there a similar gasket as the tube is aluminum,aginst the block. Is it common for a leak to occur here?
I'm not the tech guy but I would figure there is a gasket where that neck bolts up. Try cleaning the area up to get a better look in there. I went out to the junkyard and found an engine on the ground I could look at.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:07 AM
l-m tech
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by acertm View Post
there is a gasket like the one described in the other post.you need to pressure up the system when its cold to help isolate the leak.most of the time these things leak oil before coolant because of the high oil pressure.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:35 AM
acertm
Junior User
acertm is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks SSG VA BEACH and I-m tech for the info. I've been gone, when I get home I will clean that area and pressurize the cooling system. Hopefully I can resolve this without spending too much $$

Old 05-14-2018, 12:08 AM
yaboysupadave
New User
yaboysupadave is starting off with a positive reputation.
2001 4.6 expy

Originally Posted by SSG VA BEACH View Post
Here is the gasket and part number for anyone else that may run into needing one. 4.6 Romeo

Hello guys i know this is a old thread. Searched the forum maybe searching the wrong thing but noticed I had a small oil leak from my expy I just bought. Looked under the truck and noticed a wire dangling. No codes so not sure what this is for. Pardon the nice sludge build up I plan on cleaning this up so I can pin point the leak. It does apear to be from the oil filter assembly. Thanks in advance!