Washer fluid pump? Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 03:41 PM
Chad Winship
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Washer fluid pump? Wiring

Thanks everyone who looked

Hey all. Tried searching for washer pump, fluid pump, etc with no luck so i apologize if this is a duplicate post.

I have a 1993 XLT with the 351. The washer fluid pump seemed a little flaky/intermittent on me a couple times this summer, but of course I wasn't smart enough to dig into it then.

Today I find myself in New England in a snow storm with lots of mud and yuck and no washer fluid. When I push the end on the multi-function switch I can hear a click almost like a relay contacting, from somewhere behind the glove box.

As far as I know the only relays are in the engind compartment of main fuse panel, all on driver side.

Any ideas what i could look at? In the snow? LOL
Can anyone tell me, off hand , where the ground connection on that pump is? Is there another relay I can check up behind that glove box?

Any thoughts much appreciated!

EDIT: I am not ignoring the obvious that the washer pump itself is mechanically dead. I guess I am assuming that any failure wouldn't be as sudden and catatrophic, correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited by Chad Winship; 03-02-2009 at 04:39 PM. Reason: content edits
Old 03-02-2009, 04:40 PM
Chad Winship
Junior User
Edit Edit: Nevermind... guy here at work reminded me of the obvious... I took a spare brake lamp, soldered some scrap wires on, jammed them in the contacts on the pump leads... press the button and light comes on. Bad pump. Which I don't have the time or energy to change tonight in the snow LOL

Old 03-02-2009, 08:33 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
To answer your question about the errant relay, yes the intermittent relay IS up behind the glovebox. It takes it's timing from the multi-function stalk and based upon the voltage it gets from the where the dial on the stalk is set, it changes it's intermittent timing. These relays are pricey but very reliable as long as they stay DRY. (Yes there are hermetically sealed versions but I don't think Ford could even bear to listen when they had to quote a price on such a unit). The "dry location" versions are expensive enough to warrant leaving them in the wiring harness INSIDE the cabin.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:49 AM
aurgathor
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a somewhat flaky washer pump, too, and it's the intermittent contact between the plug and the motor because of a crappy connector.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:01 AM
Chad Winship
Junior User
Originally Posted by aurgathor
I have a somewhat flaky washer pump, too, and it's the intermittent contact between the plug and the motor because of a crappy connector.
yeah, I did notice a bit of telltale blue corrosion on one of the terminals of the connector yesterday... I need a really small diameter wire pipe cleaner I guess. but I still got a good enough contact to light the lamp, so I guess I am still suspecting a bad pump overall... I'll try cleaning the contacts really well first with some contact cleaner , and if not replace the pump. Someday when it's warmer than 25°

Greystreak, thanks for the info on that relay. I'll keep that location in mind, and apparently REALLY hope I never have to replace it.