Aerostar Ford Aerostar

gambled and lost

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 06:06 PM
coldgeorge
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gambled and lost

Cant believe I do such dumb things. Was rolling down I-25, temp gauge started suddenly climbing up the word normal. Decided to push it couple miles, rolled into exit with guage just entering red zone, big cloud of steam etc. Burst heater hose behind the alternator of my 4l 93 aero.Wrapped cloth around hose, electric taped it, filled with water and
tried to go 3 miles to home. Really bad move. Temp guage stayed on the M, but suddenly lost all power, coasted off the road. So to save 50 bucks on a tow truck I have caused myself much grief. Now run very poorly, pumping water out exhaust line.

I understand (now!), aluminum heads wont take this treatment and are probably ruined.
Big question is what have I done to, and what should I do, to the block if I decide to repair an otherwise good machine.Feel free to bawl me out . ( I will have to do it all myself).
Thanks, George

Old 02-28-2009, 07:04 PM
Car Guy
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
At minimum the head gasket(s) blew, that in turn could've warped/cracked the heads and possibly damaged the bearings in the lower end (engine block).....

Old 02-28-2009, 07:33 PM
99f350sd
Lead Driver

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Steel heads!!! on a 4.0l I thought. At least my 94 had them..

Dick

Old 02-28-2009, 07:50 PM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts
All 4 liter engines in Aerostars came stock with cast iron heads. Still, enough overheating WILL warp them, like any other engine component.

I'm tempted to keep one of those flexi-hoses with me at all times for just such occasions. The old hoses tend to deteriorate from the inside out, where you can't see them until it's too late.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:38 PM
99f350sd
Lead Driver

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Just pull the heads have them checked reworked etc and install with new gaskets and you are good to go most likely. You'll see when you get in there...

Dick

Old 02-28-2009, 11:39 PM
96_4wdr
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ford 4L OHV has notoriously weak heads, worst Ford made. started with a 2.9L block that was bored and built out beyond reasonable safe limits to 4L. on of Ford's first attempts at cast iron thin cast heads
chances of finding a good low mileage engine at the junke yard are poor at best.

if you want to resurrect the Aero, buy a set of heads junk yard will guarantee they will pass testing and rebuild. have the heads magnafluxed, head planed for straigtness and flatness, valves tested for stem straightness and OD, valve guides checked for size, 3 angle grind on valves. new or rebuilt rocker arm assemblies
after you have a good set of heads, pull the engine and rebuild or short block.

you can long block if you can find a good reliable rebuilder that you can trust for good heads properly done.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:59 AM
Bear River
Former ******
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually there are aftermarket upgrade heads.

I would have the heads worked by a professional, and then have the oil replaced, and add an additive like AutoRX, and changed it again after about 20 miles.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:29 AM
coldgeorge
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dont know where I got the idea 4l was aluminum, or is it the 3.0l that has em? Sure glad this forum keeps me straightened out. Thanks for the replies. Gonna wait for spring (May) before digging into it.
George