Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery cables connections are bad

Old 02-28-2009, 05:21 PM
peasel_85
Freshman User
peasel_85 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Unhappy Battery cables connections are bad

Hey guys, wandering if anyone has had any problems with their battery connections or even the cables themselves. I replaced the batteries in my truck around last sept. or so and now they are acting like they are dead again, leaving me stranded all the damn time. I did some investigating and came up that my connections have just gotten warn bad over the years and I was wandering if it is possible to replace the connections or if that involves all the cables. Thanks

Old 02-28-2009, 05:30 PM
megawatt00
Post Fiend
megawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputation
You can replace the ends. NAPA has some heavy duty ones. Makes sure that your connections are clean and tight. I use Noalox on all my electrical connections to prevent corrision and oxidation

Old 02-28-2009, 07:05 PM
peasel_85
Freshman User
thanks, might be a dumb question, but is there enough room to put new connectors on there?

Old 02-28-2009, 07:11 PM
megawatt00
Post Fiend
megawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputation
No such thing as a dumb question

There should be enough cable. The only problem is if the corrosion has started traveling "down" the wire. If it is green and powdery then the cables should be replaced. I get welding cable and make up my own.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:18 PM
peasel_85
Freshman User
thanks man

Old 02-28-2009, 07:23 PM
schlepprock250
Guns Dont Kill People..
schlepprock250 is a splendid one to beholdschlepprock250 is a splendid one to beholdschlepprock250 is a splendid one to beholdschlepprock250 is a splendid one to beholdschlepprock250 is a splendid one to beholdschlepprock250 is a splendid one to behold
Hey guys,sorry for the high jack,I know you can replace the terminals,but can you replace just the terminal on the passenger side(you know,the through connector one),or do you have to get the whole cable,if so,where do you get a replacement one?

Old 02-28-2009, 07:25 PM
beanhead6D5
Posting Guru
beanhead6D5 is a name known to allbeanhead6D5 is a name known to allbeanhead6D5 is a name known to allbeanhead6D5 is a name known to allbeanhead6D5 is a name known to allbeanhead6D5 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by peasel_85 View Post
thanks, might be a dumb question, but is there enough room to put new connectors on there?
The only dumb question is one thats never asked.

Ck. prices on new cable and welder cable to see witch one is cheaper,cause they both work great.Get the 2/0 cable if you get reg.batt.cable,makes a big difference on start ups.

Question,you don't have a starter going bad do you?

And just double check you lenght with the new end to be sure if the cable is long enough.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:27 PM
beanhead6D5
Posting Guru
beanhead6D5 is a name known to allbeanhead6D5 is a name known to allbeanhead6D5 is a name known to allbeanhead6D5 is a name known to allbeanhead6D5 is a name known to allbeanhead6D5 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by schlepprock379 View Post
Hey guys,sorry for the high jack,I know you can replace the terminals,but can you replace just the terminal on the passenger side(you know,the through connector one),or do you have to get the whole cable,if so,where do you get a replacement one?
You can get a T for the pos. post at NAPA and make one yourslef.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:32 PM
peasel_85
Freshman User
I'm pretty sure the starter is alright, when I play with the connections every once in a while, it starts and charges just fine but when they aren't making good connection I have to get out the battery charger.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.