Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Putting a 99 7.3 in a 94 F350

Old 02-28-2009, 03:25 PM
George D.
Posting Guru
George D. is starting off with a positive reputation.
Putting a 99 7.3 in a 94 F350

My block in my 94 f350 is junk I dont have the cash for a reman but I have a freind that owns a towing company that has 99 f250 with a 7.3 in it that he took of the road due to cosmetic body damage. He said i could have the engine.

What all would I need off the truck to get it to work? How hard would it be to install all that stuss in to a earlyer body stile truck?

Also both trucks are autos were they still giving the rpm and speed signals to the trans controller from the dash cluster in 99?

I would greatly apreciate any advice you guys could give me.

Old 02-28-2009, 03:58 PM
DieselBeast01
Posting Guru
DieselBeast01 has a good reputation on FTE.DieselBeast01 has a good reputation on FTE.
I'm sure you could do it, it would just take a lot of modifications. You would need all of the computers from the new engine, and maybe even the transmission. Hell JTHarvey put a cummins in his ford, so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to put a newer motor in your older ford. Some of the experts should chime in shortly.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:38 PM
krejci.mike
Senior User
krejci.mike is starting off with a positive reputation.
sounds interesting so here's a bump

Old 02-28-2009, 09:04 PM
JockD
Elder User
JockD has a very good reputation on FTE.JockD has a very good reputation on FTE.JockD has a very good reputation on FTE.JockD has a very good reputation on FTE.
Be sure to get all the wiring haresses from the computers and transmission, along with both the PCM and IDM. You will have to intergrate that wiring into your chassis, but at least the engine/transmission controls will be a complete unit.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:13 PM
ahughes
New User
ahughes is starting off with a positive reputation.
you should have more power i think 99 is when they started putting the bigger turbos on the 7.3

Old 03-01-2009, 02:16 AM
jimwilsonmasonry
Elder User
jimwilsonmasonry is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by ahughes View Post
you should have more power i think 99 is when they started putting the bigger turbos on the 7.3
actually the 94-97 7.3s have bigger turbos than superdutys

Old 03-01-2009, 07:34 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
Sounds interesting. Make sure you keep us updated on your progress. I don't know if the instrument cluster will be compatible with the new PCM, so if possible you might grab the instrument cluster too. Maybe you can do a little cosmetic surgery to make it work with your old one.

As mentioned, grab everything under the hood you can including the intercooler (the IDM is above the drivers wheel well), grab the 4R100, then you'll need the electric fuel pump on the drivers frame rail, and check out the emergency fuel cut off switch to see if you can wire yours up to run the new fuel pump or if you need to grab that too.

Now the question is do you need to pull the GEM from the 99 as well?

Old 03-01-2009, 07:37 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
ron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud of
why not use the 99 block with his parts?? i thought the blocks where the same..new set of bearings maybe rings depending on miles..

Old 03-01-2009, 07:39 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by ron's power stroke View Post
why not use the 99 block with his parts?? i thought the blocks where the same..
I don't know if we have a hole to mount the mechanical fuel pump in.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:41 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
ron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud of
a lot of them OBS guy's swap to the SD pump..there must be a plate they use to close it off..he wouldnt need to do any thing but wire up a pump..

Old 03-01-2009, 11:18 AM
George D.
Posting Guru
My block is compleetly different my truck has the old mechanicle 7.3 not the early powerstroke, The only interchangeable part is the flex plate.

F350-6 you bring up a good point about the gem. Is the dash controled by the GEM on these trucks?

Also does any one know where the signal for AP, RPM and vehicle speed com from on your body style trucks?

Would the dash from an OBS truck with a powerstroke be compatible with the rest of the goodies from the 99?

Thanks for all the help guys.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:17 AM
strokersace
Posting Guru
strokersace has a very good reputation on FTE.strokersace has a very good reputation on FTE.strokersace has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by ron's power stroke View Post
why not use the 99 block with his parts?? i thought the blocks where the same..new set of bearings maybe rings depending on miles..

I was thinking the same thing until I read George D's post and then looked at his sig. He's got a 94 IDI auto, which is pre-powerstroke.

So my advice is to do what everyone else has said for the swap. If it was originally a psd, then the block should be the same, just the parts bolted on would be different. Good luck.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:16 PM
George D.
Posting Guru
Well now I need to some how get my truck running by the end of the month. I've been storing it at work and they told me wenesday I have till the end of the moth to get it out of there.

Theres a few things i haven't figgured out.
If I pull the trans harness and computor from the 99 will they hook up too/work with my trans?

Or where dose the signal for vehicle speed and engine rpm to the trans controller on the 99 come from? on mine it comes from the dash.

Will I need the GEM for the dash from the 99 to work?

Old 03-15-2009, 07:44 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Send an email to Bill at RacerXautomotive. I bet he can answer the tranny questions for you.

The 99 will use signals from the VSS on the rear diff, and the OSS & TSS on the tranny. I assume the E4OD has the same sensors, but don't know for sure.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:52 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
the trans also uses peddle position and RPM's..this is why a auto PCM needs to be used in our trucks..the hand shaker PCM will not let the trans shift...maybe the OBS truck does too.i dont know this...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Putting a 99 7.3 in a 94 F350

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.