1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Few Mods, F650 lower dash ... ect.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 06:39 PM
TheBigBee
Cargo Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Talking A Few Mods, F650 lower dash ... ect.

Well I decided that I couldn't wait any longer. I have had all of this stuff sitting in boxes in the spare bedroom and decided to put it all together this past weekend so here it is.

The Parts list:
Four 6" 150W Offroad lights Camoflauge housings
Two 6" 150W Offroad Speakers in 6" Light Housings
One 135db Air Horn
One 2.5 Gallon Air Tank
One Viair Air Compressor
One F650 Lower Dash Pannel
Three Carling Switch Houseings
Nine Carling Switches
One Momentary for the Horn
One On-Off-On for an Unknown Accessory ( to be determined )
Seven Normal ON-Off
Air Gauge
One Light Bar

Click on the Pictures for a larger view.

The Light bar is pretty sturdy. It was a three part design and hold the six 6" housing pretty well spaced.

F650 Lower dash after cutting the hole bigger to house the Nine switches.

The wireing Harnesses for the backlights on the switches.

JB welding the Switch houesings into the pannel along with the installed Gauge.

Finished product after It dried

Testing the Backlights and my Harness before the install. Way to cold out to be doing it in the truck.

Rough install in the truck. just the Backlights are hooked up nothing is installed yet.

Had to make a custom bracket for the Air Compressor Under the hood. We moved into the pole barn and cranked the heat up to 70. Thank you new furnace.

Mounted the tank on the Drivers side frame just after the body mount. Best place I will be adding the fittings to run up to a quick connect behind the feul door in the next couple of weeks.

Wireing up the lights and speakers.

Finished product. Looks pretty good.

We put the Air Horns between the two radiators on a custom bracket. Out of the way and they stay clear of debris.

Routed the light and speaker wires through the available gromets between the front and rear doors.

All in all it was a pretty easy install with only a few hangups. The speakers on the roof have been hooked up through the stereo to play my music outside for when we go out to the lines or to the pit/dunes. The PA from the CB is also run through them as well which will come in handy at some of events. the speakers are turned on through one of the switches that powers the amp for the speakers. All power is being drawn from a One Farod capacitor to eleviate some of the strain from the battery. No Problems so far.

Let me know what you think.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:42 PM
TheBigBee
Cargo Master
Any feedback would be some good feedback.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:47 PM
1975StroppeBaja
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice work on a whole mess o' mods all at the same time! Looks good, Reps sent.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:03 PM
08XL2fitty
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW looks killer.. Love the f650 dash... Great work!! Truck looks good

Old 02-28-2009, 01:19 AM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
I have a few questions...

1. Where did you get the F550 lower dash panel? New or used?
2. Did the 9 switches come with the lower dash panel? If not, where did you get those?
3. Did the lights for the switches come with the switches or did you have to purchase them separately? If purchased separately, where?
4. On a scale of 1 to 10, how difficult was to do the install of the lower dash panel?

I little to no electrical experience so keep that in mind when responding to Q4. Feel free to add anything that you think is important with regard to the lower dash panel install. I definitely want to do that mod on my 2005 F350!

Old 02-28-2009, 06:54 AM
DeLorean623
Freshman User
My questions are pretty much the same as Furian's... Only exception, I've got quite a bit of electrical experience.

I love the way that F650 dash looks in there! The speakers on the light bar... thats an excellent idea that I'll probably be implementing whenever I get a light bar for the Super Duty.

All of those mods look great and are things that I'd love to put in my truck.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:59 AM
TheBigBee
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Furian
I have a few questions...

1. Where did you get the F550 lower dash panel? New or used?
2. Did the 9 switches come with the lower dash panel? If not, where did you get those?
3. Did the lights for the switches come with the switches or did you have to purchase them separately? If purchased separately, where?
4. On a scale of 1 to 10, how difficult was to do the install of the lower dash panel?

I little to no electrical experience so keep that in mind when responding to Q4. Feel free to add anything that you think is important with regard to the lower dash panel install. I definitely want to do that mod on my 2005 F350!

Ok here it goes.

Ans Q1. The F650 Lower dash I got from Ed (FTEPartsGuy). It was something like $45 Shipped, and is a brand new oem pannel. You will have to check with Ed on years that this pannel will fit. But the Part number is: 4C4Z7004302BA

Ans Q2. The Nine switches were bought through Allied Electronics. The On-Off switches were $12.10 each, the ON-Off-On was $13.56, and the (On)-Off (momentary) was $12.29. When you buy these switches you also need to buy the Mounting plates which put them in a series of three to a row. They were $3.79 a piece. All said and done the switches and mounts totaled $138.60 shipped.
Here are the links for the switches and mounts.

mount
Carling Technologies - VM3-01 - Allied Electronics

On-Off
Carling Technologies - V1D2GHNB-AAC00-000 - Allied Electronics

On-Off-On
Carling Technologies - V6D2GHNB-AAC00-000 - Allied Electronics

(On)-Off
Carling Technologies - V2D2GHNB-AAC00-000 - Allied Electronics

Ans Q3. The above links are the ones that are preinstalled with the backlights for night driveing so you dont have to fumble for them. If you would like the non lighted kind they have them and are about half the price.

Ans Q4. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would rate this as a 3 maybe. It is not that difficult. As long as you follow the directions that come with your accessories and you just use the new switches rather then the crap they usually provide it is pretty straight forward. the best thing to do is either run a new fuse pannel under the dash or at the very least a distrobution block so that you are running the fewest wires into the cab from the engine compartment and so that there will be less clutter and less money spent on wire. I would suggest 4 gauge wire for a disrobution block which is the style i went for. The dash piece itself is a dirrect bolt on.((((((Remember to check with Ed on year Fitment)))))).

Good luck Post back if you have more questions. I love doing this stuff.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:03 AM
TheBigBee
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by DeLorean623
My questions are pretty much the same as Furian's... Only exception, I've got quite a bit of electrical experience.

I love the way that F650 dash looks in there! The speakers on the light bar... thats an excellent idea that I'll probably be implementing whenever I get a light bar for the Super Duty.

All of those mods look great and are things that I'd love to put in my truck.
Answered the questions above if you have anymore just ask I am always open to questions and comments.

I also love the way it looks. It cleaned up the dash area and i was supprised at how it all came together. I love the speakers they are great. I have them running through an amp and I had a set of frount pre-outs off my head unit so it was a perfect match. The Cb was already run through my head unit so the PA was an easy upgrade.

Thanks again and ask any questions that come to mind

Old 02-28-2009, 08:27 AM
Nice Work Truck
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks great. I like the CB mounting spot.
Someone could probably mount a GPS unit on that also

Old 02-28-2009, 08:33 AM
TheBigBee
Cargo Master
They probably could, mine is built into the 7 inch fold out head unit which also doubles as digital gauges.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:34 AM
TNT in Round Rock
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow .. outstanding !!! .. reps sent !

Old 02-28-2009, 02:37 PM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Originally Posted by Nice Work Truck
Looks great. I like the CB mounting spot.
I agree! Having a flat area to mount the CB is preferred. A VERY clean install!

Old 02-28-2009, 07:02 PM
TheBigBee
Cargo Master
Ya the CB is in a great spot just high enough to be in range of control. I am planning on putting my scanner right below it.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:12 PM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Originally Posted by TheBigBee
Ya the CB is in a great spot just high enough to be in range of control. I am planning on putting my scanner right below it.
BTW, thanks for providing all the details for the install. I have this thread saved in My Favorites and will refer to it at the appropriate time. Thanks again!

Old 02-28-2009, 07:43 PM
afreemanmd
Elder User
looks Great!!

3 quick questions:
•where did you get those speakers? Those are really sweet!
•the switches are backlit, but is there any indication that the accessory is turned on? Like do they light up a different color when the accessory is turned on?
•how did you wire up the those distribution cables? It looks a lot cleaner than trying to use some kind of distribution stud

again, clean install

Quick Reply: A Few Mods, F650 lower dash ... ect.