2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin LTX A/T 275-65 R18's

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 07:19 AM
goatdriver
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Michelin LTX A/T 275-65 R18's

Help!! I need new tires once again, as my BFG Rugged Trails have cracks all around the sidewall area where the treads meet. The first set did this, and BFG warrantied them with a new set. This new set has done the same thing.

I am looking at the LTX A/T's in the same size as original equipment. They come in either a P or LT rated tire, and I am thinking about going to the LT.

My questions are, does anyone have this tire, and how does it handle. I am specifically worried about feeling vibration in the steering wheel.

Would appreciate any input!

Old 02-26-2009, 10:03 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
there is a thread right now with alot of unhappy people and the LTX A/S

I highly recommend the LTX M/S instead, or the Goodyear Silent Armor (new version of the Wrangler AT/S)

both are good tires with very nice road manners and are quiet.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:51 AM
goatdriver
Mountain Pass
Tylus -

Which thread is that, as I can't seem to find it.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:04 AM
slc10844
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stay away from the LT unless you are willing to sacrifice ride.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:27 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I love my ltx m/s's however they won't come in the size you're looking for.....I swapped up to the 20 inch wheels to get them....

I'd look into the goodyear silent armors....

Old 02-26-2009, 12:30 PM
Ford Fx4
Laughing Gas
Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts
X2 on staying away from the LT unless you want a rougher ride. I tried the Wrangler AT/S in LT and it changed the whole ride of my truck, could not stand it. Then I tried the Michelin LTX AT2 in P....HAHAAH....biggest mistake ever.

Hear is my review on them from tire rack and Discount Tire

Bought theses tire to replace my OEM generals (p255-70-17) which had 20k on them with over half tread remaining. Bought the LTX's in p265-70-17. As Soon as I left from having them installed I noticed they pulled to the right....BAD. Brought it back and they rotated them, no change. I'll get to the point as I don't have enough room to type it all here.. They ended up trying 3 different sets and none made it any better, in fact the last set they put on made it worse. They were all balanced good and had no vibration in the wheel and rode smooth but pulled HARD to the right. I could take my hand off the wheel and cross 4 lanes of traffic in 4 seconds flat!! Before with the General I could ride on a certain road for a 1/3 of a mile and not touch the wheel, now I cant make it more then a 1 second. It pulled so hard that I had to hold my wheel at the 11'0 clock position to keep the truck straight. Even when the road was crowed to the left my wheel was to the left to hold the truck straight, that's how bad it pulled! And no it is not my alignment has I had it checked at two different shops and all was in spec. The tire shop (discount tire) agreed that there is an issue. I finally had it and told them to give me my money back and put my original Generals back on, which they did. Just got them on today and guess what? Truck drives straight and does not pull!!!! Steering wheel is back to center. I DO NOT recommend theses tires. I bought them because of the great reviews but was truly disappointed with them. When I was waiting for my generals to be put on they must have sold 3 or 4 new sets of the LTX's, I wish those who bought them luck because I certainly did not have ANY with them. I also think everybody needs to give General more credit then they do!! Anyway I really hopes this helps somebody and saves them a huge time consuming mess.

Anyway that was my experience with them.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:58 PM
goatdriver
Mountain Pass
Did anyone else have trouble with the BFG cracking? Both sets of mine have. I appreciate the information, and will stay away from the AT2. I will look into the GY Silent Armor and the LTX M/S. Any other reviews of these will be GREATLY appreciated!!! Maybe I should look into the Generals too?

Old 02-26-2009, 02:05 PM
goatdriver
Mountain Pass
I just checked the website, and the M/S isn't made in my size as you mentioned. If the AT2 and AS are not good choices, then that leaves Silent Armor and General. Any more reviews would be great.

Also, anyone know where to find the thread about the Michelins?

Old 02-26-2009, 02:39 PM
Ford Fx4
Laughing Gas
Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by goatdriver
I just checked the website, and the M/S isn't made in my size as you mentioned. If the AT2 and AS are not good choices, then that leaves Silent Armor and General. Any more reviews would be great.

Also, anyone know where to find the thread about the Michelins?

the General grabber AT has had pretty good reviews.

SuperView of the General Grabber AT 2

Old 02-26-2009, 03:31 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Ford Fx4 posted it for you goatdriver...sorry it was for the Grabber A/T and alot of guys posted the LTX A/T reviews in there

You can get the Silent Armor in a P and LT...I prefer LT tires myself, but a P tire will be just fine, especially if you want a smooth ride

Old 02-26-2009, 04:46 PM
mikfitz
Junior User
get them

hi had the same thing happen to me on my mark lt had them warrantied and got the michelins. what a difference ride, handling cant go wrong with them

Old 02-26-2009, 07:48 PM
goatdriver
Mountain Pass
Mikfitz - I am confused, what tires did you get that you liked?

Have folks generally been happy with the Goodyear Silent Armors in P rated?

Old 02-26-2009, 08:59 PM
mikfitz
Junior User
oh sorry ltx a/t my goodyears where dry rotting after 12000miles replaced under warranty

Old 02-27-2009, 08:20 PM
goatdriver
Mountain Pass
What is causing all of these tires to dry rot? Two sets of my BFG did it, and you say your GY's did too. I am really lost as to what is a decent tire to buy to replace our original tires. I want to stay with the same size.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:47 PM
Catmonkey
Senior User
There is a date code stamped on your tires. Tires can sit in a warehouse for years until they find their way to a vehicle. Check the date stamp and see if the tires aren't just old. Here is a link to decoding the date stamp. Some of these so-called discount places get old tires cheap and resell them to the public.

Quick Reply: Michelin LTX A/T 275-65 R18's