1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitto Dura Grappler review

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 08:46 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
wallboyz, you're talking about the HIGHWAY grappler having less tread life than the BFG's?

These Nitto's are OK in the dirt. Wet traction on pavement is amazing.

The Silent Armors are great tires. For an all-terrain snow tire. They are squirmy on pavement, noisier than I thought they were made out to be on the highway, but wear very well.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:18 AM
wallboyz
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, now that I think about it I wonder why you accepted the free Dura Grapplers instead of requesting an apples to apples match for the Terra Grappler; that would be true test by a respected FTE member who would no doubt give us an unbiased opinion. I looked at their website again and the Nitto Dura still does not have any ratings being a new tire for them; the Terra's look like they are worth testing. I'd rather compare the BFG TA's and GY Silent Amors against the same all terrain tire, Terra, offered by Nitto.

With Nitto being so new in the AT or truck tire class of tire I don't know if I'd throw my bucks thir way[ especially when you removed the Dura's and put the GY SA's back on to go have some fun! Hmmmmm? I guess that says a mouthfull of what you think about the Dura's.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:34 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by wallboyz
Actually, now that I think about it I wonder why you accepted the free Dura Grapplers instead of requesting an apples to apples match for the Terra Grappler; that would be true test by a respected FTE member who would no doubt give us an unbiased opinion. I looked at their website again and the Nitto Dura still does not have any ratings being a new tire for them; the Terra's look like they are worth testing. I'd rather compare the BFG TA's and GY Silent Amors against the same all terrain tire, Terra, offered by Nitto.
I wasn't asked to compare the Dura Highway Grapplers to anything else.

Just do a review of them.

What we've gotten into now is a general comparison between a true all-terrain and a highway tire. Apples and oranges

Old 09-19-2009, 01:05 AM
thedaddycat
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the Terra Grapplers in 285/75R16E. I have just under 40K on them with enough tread left on them to easily make it through this winter. Most of my use on them is highway commuting, some snow plowing, almost no off road. I am considering the Duras as my next tire since they seem better suited to most of what I do as far as driving style. Then again, I have not used the truck a lot for commuting in the last year or so. I'll have to take another look at how I expect to use it when the time comes to replace the tires. I may just end up with a set of MT's if I won't be using it much except for snow days and hauling loads...

Old 09-22-2009, 04:31 PM
tow2atm
Freshman User
Question

I'm assuming that the "Dura" tire you will get more milage out this tire compared to the"Terra" tire??
Can I expect to get the same milage from the Terra tire as the BF all terrain KO with the same driving habit or is the Terra tire softer yet? I am just under 50,000 miles with my BFs 285/60/18

Old 09-22-2009, 10:08 PM
wallboyz
Junior User
It sure is hard to suck down that 50k miles is the average tire wear under highway driving conditions. I think the Dura is just too new to try, BFG and Goodyear both show great differences within their respective TA and Wrangler tires. I sure wish someone (many someones) already had a ton of miles on the Dura Grapplers so I could give them some more serious thoughts as I do 90% of my driving on the highway too.

Krewat, With Nitto knowing that you've put these Dura's on truck that they knolw goes off road, have you given the Dura's a good beating off road yet? Very curious to hear about it....

Old 09-22-2009, 11:10 PM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
I just got done shopping for Nitto tires this last weekend.
BTW, Nitto's are a product of TOYO
you will find some sizes are made in Japan and some of the larger ones made here in USA.
Personally I like the Terra Grappler. I was comparing them with the Goodyear silent armour and with the Michelin A/T2 as a choice and previously narrowed it down to the Michelin based off of feedback and the fact that Michelins were 10 steel ply vs. 8 plus 2 kevlar belts. Both of these choices are somewhat pricey but the Nitto was in the ball park of the BFG A/T tire price. just $200 a tire at my desired size of 295/70/18. Now That's alot of Meat for the money!

I haven't made this purchace just yet, BTW this size happens to be made in USA, an over 4000 lbs E rated tire at 80 psi.

My hesitation in this purchace is to know if this size would fit my stock 4x4 suspension and be able to turn and take bumps without rubbing.
The shop wanted to mount the fronts and find out for sure but I was still on the road at the time. Anyone know?

Old 09-23-2009, 07:55 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Krewat, With Nitto knowing that you've put these Dura's on truck that they knolw goes off road, have you given the Dura's a good beating off road yet? Very curious to hear about it....
Not yet. I had one run in with some sand over Labor Day weekend. Namely, Upstate NY sand. With the tires at 70 pounds, they did perform rather well, to the point where I had it only in 2-wheel drive and didn't get stuck. Which says something.

As for "Nitto knowing", the person I dealt with was an ad-agency person marketing the new tires. Not Nitto directly. And it was to do a review of a "HIGHWAY TIRE".

I suspect that they will not do well in mud of any kind. The only time they will perform well off-road is on rocks. All the siping on these tires will surely help grip smooth surfaces, but anything that moves like mud or sand, they will not do well.

Again, they are a long-life highway tire, and meant for that, wet pavement, and maybe some snow/ice that you would encounter on the roadway. NOT OFF-ROAD.

They have, however, performed well enough off-road that in 4x4 I am not afraid to go too far off the beaten path

My brother-in-law has some property in Upstate NY where the ground is mostly small rocks with clay holding it together. Even the Goodyear Silent Armors wouldn't grip on that stuff, and I suspect with the siping on the Nittos that they will do just about as well. We'll see next month

Oh, and for WEAR - I go through tires like grass through a goose. I have only 32K miles on the truck right now, almost 90% of it stop-and-go, and I get about 2 years out of a set of tires before they are bald. The Nitto's so far show NO WEAR WHATSOEVER. Amazing really.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:03 PM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
with as fast as you go through rubber it would be interesting to hear how long and how many miles the Dura Grappler will offer.
I hope it's at least twice as long as anything you put on before.
Maybe their compound is different than their Terra's. not sure.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:37 PM
divedeep1
Junior User
A thread was started in the diesel section on recommended tires. It ended up turning into jobs lost to foreign countries. I will say that i have really been proud of the terra grapplers I bought the truck with. The visual asthetics of the tire are rugged and well designed in my opinion. I have put 12,000 miles in the truck at just under 4 months now. Lost an estimated 5% of the tread. I have not gone off road yet. Very pleased with the tires. NITTO has a new tire called the trail grappler that came out this month and is still only available in certain sizes. Very AT as it seems like its design is more towards the off road side. Summation= I am impressed w/ NITTO and will definately stay NITTO for the next set.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:00 PM
Rugby3
Elder User
Thanks for the review and updates, I will be looking for another set of tires here soon as well and wouldn't have thought about looking at the Nitto's. So far I have run BFG's, Toyo AT's and now some Cooper Discoverer Radial LT's that I am not happy with at all. I don't need true off-road tires so the thought of trying a "highway" tire is appealing. Also living down South now I don't have to worry about the snow I had in NH so the Dura's will definitely get a thorough look-see.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:54 PM
wallboyz
Junior User
That's too bad to hear the Durra Grapplers would not perform well in sand, my off roading is primarily desert sand. It looks like a toss up between the Terra's, Silent Armors and TA's. I reckon it may come down to the customer service I can get from where I buy them; another important feature not much talked about.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:45 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
That's too bad to hear the Durra Grapplers
Please keep in mind I'm talking about the HIGHWAY Dura Grapplers. They are not meant for off-roading more than a dirt road.

Old 09-26-2009, 12:00 PM
Powerstroke_wannabe
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Art. Did you post any pictures of the dura grapplers on your ride? I'll probably be finally getting rid of my conticraps before Christmas and it sounds like the dura grapplers are what I need. My truck is pretty much a commuter and family vehicle with a rare visit to snowy conditions in the mountains of NC. No off roading. Just curious as to how they look mounted.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:23 PM
wallboyz
Junior User
I understand the testing was on the Dura's and I may be interested in a street tire if they performed okay in the sand. The v10 is nice and quiet (comparatively) so why not have a tire to match.

Krewat, I hope you understand I am not debating these tires negatively but am asking questions to clarify what kind of tire fits my driving needs. I like and appreciate what you are doing for the forum, thanks!

Quick Reply: Nitto Dura Grappler review