Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

FYI! If Truck+Trailer GVWR =26,000+...

Old 02-24-2009, 02:17 PM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FYI! If Truck+Trailer GVWR =26,000+...

...you have to meet federal regulations. Most of you that are there probably know all this, but just an FYI.
The old man and I were hauling the skidloader home from the repair shop, just a small little skid loader that didn't even fill up half the trailer(30' flatbed), ended upgetting pulled over by DOT for an inspection. With the pickup GVWR at 9,900lbs and the trailer at 22,400lbs, we were over so we were required to have annual vehicle inspection papers, fire extinguisher, and triangles. We had triangles in the trailer, but nothing else, and the trailer registration was in my pickup, which wasn't the one pulling the trailer.

It was one of those things that we never really thought about, especially for the farm. Just a few years ago we were required to do annual inspections on grain trucks and the like, we never crossed it over to the pickup and trailer.

So for those of you that have GVWR's over 26,000lbs, be aware, DOT does pull over us little pickups!!! There was even a hopper bottom in front of us that we were fixin' to pass, we thought he was going for him.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:29 PM
7.3johnsonville
Senior User
well nice to know i wonder if a 24 ft enclosed would raise an eyebrow? Yeah i can see a need for checking but thats somewhat silly to me..

Old 02-24-2009, 02:44 PM
robinsonpowerstroke
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 7.3johnsonville
well nice to know i wonder if a 24 ft enclosed would raise an eyebrow? Yeah i can see a need for checking but thats somewhat silly to me..
I can't believe that a 24 ft bumper pull will be like 16 k+ GVW where you would have to worry about that.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:37 PM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by 7.3johnsonville
Check your GVWR on your trailer, but I'd think you should be alright. The bad things is you can't plead ignorant to the DOT, they don't buy it.

I could see the DOT stopping us if we had a large tractor on it that looked overweight, but I doubt the skidloader we had on the was over 5k, if that.
I've never heard of DOT stopping pickups before either, but I guess there's a first for everything!

Old 02-24-2009, 03:44 PM
7.3johnsonville
Senior User
Originally Posted by robinsonpowerstroke
I can't believe that a 24 ft bumper pull will be like 16 k+ GVW where you would have to worry about that.
its my mobile garage got my air comp. welder, 100#torch tanks tools shelving and steel frame. i have had my 3kgt in it it as well on some trips usually three hours away but i am many times loaded down this way going cross country. 60gal fuel cell topper and misc supplies? i wouldnt think i would get stopped but ive been stopped for some pretty stupid things since i got my lift and tires.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:52 PM
7.3johnsonville
Senior User
Originally Posted by farmb0y
Check your GVWR on your trailer, but I'd think you should be alright. The bad things is you can't plead ignorant to the DOT, they don't buy it.

I could see the DOT stopping us if we had a large tractor on it that looked overweight, but I doubt the skidloader we had on the was over 5k, if that.
I've never heard of DOT stopping pickups before either, but I guess there's a first for everything!
in the event that i NEED to move my stuff and its gvw is above limit.. im still going to tow it. safely of course. is it just a ticket for overweight? i dont want to break the law but i have no access to a scale unless i drive a ways out of way fully loaded to know ahead of time... some heavy steel/tools in there..

Old 02-24-2009, 03:58 PM
7.3 Rocket
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not only do you need your paperwork, but you need a CDL. (Commercial Driver's License)

If your pickup and trailer gross 26,001 or more then you fall into the same category as a tractor trailer.

It's not about actual weight either. It's about GVWR stamped on your door plus the GVWR stamped on your trailer.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:30 PM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

Pete is correct, it's not about actual weight but what it says on the stickers.

Supposedly for farm use, you don't need a CDL. But anything else is considered commerical, so yes, you do need a CDL. The DOT tried getting dad for not having a CDL, but he made a call and was corrected that dad didn't need one for personal farm use, and within 150 miles of home. I was about gonna have to drive the old man's truck for him, since I drive OTR.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:42 PM
7.3 Rocket
Post Fiend
Pete is correct, it's not about actual weight but what it says on the stickers.

Supposedly for farm use, you don't need a CDL. But anything else is considered commerical, so yes, you do need a CDL. The DOT tried getting dad for not having a CDL, but he made a call and was corrected that dad didn't need one for personal farm use, and within 150 miles of home. I was about gonna have to drive the old man's truck for him, since I drive OTR.
2 questions for you on that one, Adam

1: Is that nationwide?

2: Is there a certain age limit on that?

Old 02-24-2009, 04:54 PM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

I couldn't tell you. I think it would be nationwide, regarding farm use. Our grain trucks are well over 26,000lbs, but have never needed a CDL. I'm assuming since they don't (can't) travel very far, just down the road to the co-op, that it's not needed. Many farmers are upgrading to semi's and there you need your CDL.
I'd have to do some looking to find what exactly the rules are.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:58 PM
Cracker 73
Senior User
any truck with gvw over 10k needs dot number if both truck and trailer over 26000k then cdl fire putter out triangles med card dot approved grade 70 chains/transport and even log book if for hire i have been stopped in Alb and asked for all that and had thank goodness just no name or dot number on the door ,but i have them and got no tickets . In Ga you will get stopped often they love F350 450 550s because they say we never have all our stuff straight so watch out and put not for hire and hope for best or ask for copy of dot for your state but dont take an officers word because they always tell different sides of every law

Old 02-24-2009, 05:05 PM
7.3 Rocket
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Cracker 73
any truck with gvw over 10k needs dot number if both truck and trailer over 26000k then cdl fire putter out triangles med card dot approved grade 70 chains/transport and even log book if for hire i have been stopped in Alb and asked for all that and had thank goodness just no name or dot number on the door ,but i have them and got no tickets . In Ga you will get stopped often they love F350 450 550s because they say we never have all our stuff straight so watch out and put not for hire and hope for best or ask for copy of dot for your state but dont take an officers word because they always tell different sides of every law
You only need a log book if you're over 100 miles from your base of operations. Any operations within 100 miles and you don't need logs.

You do not need any specific grade of chain. It just needs to be DOT approved. If it is not marked as a specific grade they will assume it is grade 30 (the lowest grade)

The reqs for chaining equipment are:

1: Your chain ratings must be at least 50% of the machine's weight. Eg: Weighs 100,000 lbs. You need at least 50,000 pounds of restraining force with chains.

2: You must have a chain on all 4 corners and on every hydraulic attachment.

3: Cross chains and hook as far to the front and rear of the trailer as you can.

4: Hook chains inside rub rails/stake pockets whenever possible.

5: If more than 25% of your required chains are loose and/or missing you will be written up as out of service if you are inspected by DOT.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:50 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
I couldn't tell you. I think it would be nationwide, regarding farm use. Our grain trucks are well over 26,000lbs, but have never needed a CDL. I'm assuming since they don't (can't) travel very far, just down the road to the co-op, that it's not needed. Many farmers are upgrading to semi's and there you need your CDL.
I'd have to do some looking to find what exactly the rules are.
You need a CDL to drive a semi even if it has farm plates? In MN you are valid for all farm vehicles with a regular class D license.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:05 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Farm tags usually get you exempt down here too. I guess I need to go find some F150 badges so I look more innocent, just to be on the safe side.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:09 PM
sflem849
Posting Guru
What...I have no idea what your are talking about!?! That is all new to me!!! (Oh, that is just what I will say)

There is one big upside to this!!! If you want to get a Class A all you need to drive is your pickup with the gooseneck behind it. I already had Class B w Air Brakes so all I needed was a Class A vehicle. Now I can go drive a semi and never had to take a road test in one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FYI! If Truck+Trailer GVWR =26,000+...