Sponsored by: DP Tuner

DP Tuner JMS In-dash EX Switcher Mount Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 10:32 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
DP Tuner JMS In-dash EX Switcher Mount Install

Here you are, some (mostly) step by step directions for installing a DP Tuner in-dash EX switcher mount. I was in a hurry when I did the original install, so the pics were all taken after the fact. There are a couple of things I'd like to point out before you all go grab your Dremel tool and go after the dash
I did all the cutting with the dash in the truck, and installed my mount right next to the ESOF switch. After I had the piece removed, I noticed three long plastic prongs on the piece I removed... not sure what their function was I did notice that my ESOF switch moves around some after the install, but I can't see how these three prongs would have supported the ESOF switch in any way, probably just coincidence that the ESOF switch is moving now from me messing around with the dash. Nothing a little 2 sided tape won't fix!
The JMS in-dash switcher mount is a very nice piece and very well built. The EX switcher fits very, very snugly inside the mount, so much so that it's very difficult to pull out once its in. I suggest sticking something to the backside of the switcher so that it protrudes from the mount just a slight bit to make it easier to remove. Purely personal preference here, but without something behind the switcher it's gonna be real hard to pull out from the front.
So, what tools are you going to need to do this job?
Duct tape or masking tape
Ball point pen
Tape measure or ruler
Straight edge
Dremel tool with cut-off wheels
Flat file
Drill bit and drill (optional, you choose the size- I'd say at least 1/2")
Utility knife (optional)
Sharpie (fine tip, optional)

Step 1: Layer some tape over the portion of the dash you wish to cut. This will make a nice surface for drawing the lines you'll be cutting later. You could just mark your lines on the dash with a fine tip Sharpie if you wish, but by using the tape you won't have to worry about cleaning any unwanted pen marks off the dash if the pen slips.

Step 2: Turn the JMS in-dash mount backwards so that the largest part is against the dash, get it lined up where you want, and trace all the way around the outside of it using a ball-point pen, or a fine tip Sharpie.

Step 3: Measure 3/16" of an inch inward at 2 points from each of the lines you drew in step 2 and make a mark (I suggest making all your marks near the corners for the best results). Use your straight edge to connect your marks, making a rectangular box. These are the lines you will be cutting, so try to be as accurate as possible on this step.

Step 4: Fire up the Dremel tool and cut away! Cut as close to the line as you can, but stay to the inside of the line, you don't want to make too big of a hole! If the piece you've cut out doesn't pop right out you have 2 options. Option 1 is to use a razor knife to try and connect the corners better (probably difficult given the thickness of the material). Option 2 is to drill a hole in the middle of the piece you are removing, then make 2 more cuts to connect the hole you drilled to the outside edge of the piece you are removing. The hole allows you to poke your finger through to get a good grip. This will allow you to break the pieces of the dash you are removing off easier.
Now do a test fit of the JMS mount. It's probably not going to pop right in, but that's okay. Take your file and carefully enlarge the hole just big enough that the JMS mount will slide in snugly. This eliminates any need to use 2 sided tape or silicone to hold the mount in.

Step 5: Push the JMS mount into the dash- try to slide it in evenly so that it doesn't bind up on you. Once the mount is seated firmly against the dash, pull your switcher wiring harness through the hole, connect the switcher, and slide the switcher into the mount.

Step 6: Sit back and marvel at your work You have just installed a JMS in-dash switcher mount for your DP Tuner EX switcher. Hopefully you took your time and everything lines up just the way you want it to. My goal was to have the JMS mount level at the top with the ESOF switch, I missed by just a tiny bit (that's what I get for hurrying).

This is a very simple install, all in all it probably took me 30 minutes or so to do. I like the clean, flush-mounted look the JMS mount provides, you'd almost think it was factory except for the fact that it's not a cheap piece of plastic! I hope some of the rest of you find these instructions useful

Old 02-24-2009, 10:34 AM
03_PSD
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks good Chase, nice job!

Old 02-24-2009, 10:53 AM
DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
looks great chase!!

Thanks for posting!

Hey 03_PSD,

Where in Temple you live.

We lived there for 2 years.

Get Tuned! 828-221-0076 ext. 802
Become our Facebook Fan
Old 02-24-2009, 10:53 AM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice write up and install Chase!

Old 02-24-2009, 11:04 AM
03_PSD
Postmaster
Originally Posted by DP-Tuner
Hey 03_PSD,

Where in Temple you live.

We lived there for 2 years.
We live out by Belton Lake off of FM 2305.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:07 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks great Chase! I'd love to install one of those but my adjustable pedal switch lives there. I need to scout around for another spot. I like the clean flush mount appearance.

Last edited by Ponyboychris; 02-24-2009 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Stupidity
Old 02-24-2009, 11:11 AM
03_PSD
Postmaster
Chris, that's Chase's chip install

Old 02-24-2009, 11:14 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks Chase, that looks easy enough. I can't see my switcher where I have it, so I may do this.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:16 AM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Looks good Chase!! I did the same with mine and really like it there... The JMS flush mount is a great add on for the DP.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:23 AM
lostmybeer
Have a nice Beer!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chase, what gives? Pics here but not at the other? Sheesh. Glad we could read this one.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:24 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 03_PSD
Chris, that's Chase's chip install
That's what I said, Looks good Chase....

Old 02-24-2009, 11:27 AM
DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
We live out by Belton Lake off of FM 2305.
Know the area well. We lived off of FM 2305 also, but closer the to loop 363. Real close to the Wildflower Country Club. Across the road actually. I remember having to go to "the point" due the county being dry. Had the best BBQ ever in Belton.

Become our Facebook Fan
Old 02-24-2009, 11:31 AM
03_PSD
Postmaster
Thats awsome, I know exactly where your talking about! I've been to "the point" many times...lol

Sorry for the Chase!!

Old 02-24-2009, 11:33 AM
DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Thats awsome, I know exactly where your talking about! I've been to "the point" many times...lol

Sorry for the Chase!!
Ditto! Sorry chase.

Its a very small world after all.

Become our Facebook Fan
Old 02-24-2009, 11:39 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by lostmybeer
Chase, what gives? Pics here but not at the other? Sheesh. Glad we could read this one.
No idea what happened there... they showed up when I posted at first but now they are gone.
Diane/Jody- no worries on the hi-jack
Thanks to everyone for the compliments thus far!

Quick Reply: DP Tuner JMS In-dash EX Switcher Mount Install