General Automotive Discussion

Shell Gas with nitrogen/ What brand is the best?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 05:36 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shell Gas with nitrogen/ What brand is the best?

I'm sure you all have already heard about this, so I'd like to know what ya have to say about it.

Here's an article in case you haven't seen it.
Shell announces new nitrogen-enhanced gasoline | The Car Tech blog - CNET Reviews

And, now that we're on the subject of gasoline. What brand do you use or what brand of gasoline is the best?

Old 03-29-2009, 07:29 PM
hofuf
Elder User
Originally Posted by aortizexcursion
I'm sure you all have already heard about this, so I'd like to know what ya have to say about it.

Here's an article in case you haven't seen it.
Shell announces new nitrogen-enhanced gasoline | The Car Tech blog - CNET Reviews

And, now that we're on the subject of gasoline. What brand do you use or what brand of gasoline is the best?
The best gasoline is the cheapest regular you can find. They're all basically the same since the feds started regulating the formula.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:52 PM
rambuck
Senior User
Honestly, all gas is pretty similar, except for those so called "additives" you can put in yourself with other brands for sometimes cheaper.

I like to go to the Speedway since they are close (I pass a Shell/Circle K ), McClure's, and if I'm lucky, a Flying J or Pilot on the road. The only reason I go into Circle K is for a Polar Pop or an Icee.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:09 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
Just so you all can have something to read and to adequately form an opinion not based upon ignorance, here's the Shell press release.

Shell Launches New Nitrogen Enriched Gasolines - United States

And, for some much more informative, scientific reading take a look at this article.

Tampa Sports Car Examiner: Nitrogen Enriched Gasoline

Old 03-30-2009, 07:17 AM
hofuf
Elder User
Originally Posted by aortizexcursion
Just so you all can have something to read and to adequately form an opinion not based upon ignorance, here's the Shell press release.

Shell Launches New Nitrogen Enriched Gasolines - United States

And, for some much more informative, scientific reading take a look at this article.

Tampa Sports Car Examiner: Nitrogen Enriched Gasoline
If you want to call someone who's been making gasoline for 23 years "ignorant", be my guest.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:25 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here in Kalifornia, the RFG II specs are so tight it makes no real difference. There is some extra detergents in the name brands, which help with certain engines prone to deposit buildup, but thats about it. My favorites are Chevron and ARCO, because I own stock in BP and Chevron.

Shell has a long history of "hype" marketing when it comes to gasoline. "With TCP" ads from the 1970's were basically lies. It was not an additive, but the initials stood for the same refining process that everyone used. My uncle was a chemical engineer and manager in oil refineries and told me how it really works.

Jim

Old 03-30-2009, 07:01 PM
firstonraceday
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I don't know anything about the new Shell formulation.

As far as my gasoline choices, we have one station locally (a Chevron) that advertises no ethanol in their gasoline. All the rest have 10% ethanol (maybe more). Guess where I fill up.

I do not want ethanol in my gasoline if I can possibly avoid it, so all my vehicles get the Chevron, even though it is a nickel/gallon more.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:22 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You cannot buy ethanol-free gasoline in most states these days. ADM lobbyists made sure of that. Ethanol is not a problem if you dont store it for a long time in a humid environment and dont have fiberglass tanks. Marine and aviation users have had problems.

Jim