Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hole in underhood insulation???

Old 02-22-2009, 04:36 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
Hole in underhood insulation???

Went out to check the fluids in my truck for the start of the week and noticed a hole or indention in the under hood insulation. It's near center left to right and lines up right above the serpentine belt. No visible issues with the belt that has been on there for the last 83k miles. Anyone have ideas?

Attached Images   
Old 02-22-2009, 04:43 PM
Steve_250
Posting Guru
Steve_250 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Steve_250 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The only thing I can think of is you were behind someone (at some time) that either lost some gravel/pebbles/etc or bounced a little bit up. It took a bounce under your radiator and got caught in the serp and slung into the blanket. Check your fan blades.
Man, seeing that would really baffle me and force me to spend a day under the hood...

Old 02-22-2009, 04:44 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
ron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud of
same place as mine..but mine was from the belt..maybe something got tossed up by the fan???

Old 02-22-2009, 07:42 PM
megawatt00
Post Fiend
megawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputation
Maybe what ever chewed up you oil fill cap is living in there!!!!

Old 02-22-2009, 07:44 PM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend
4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of
Its those darn gremlins!

Old 02-22-2009, 07:45 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by megawatt00 View Post
Maybe what ever chewed up you oil fill cap is living in there!!!!
Good memory Jim, but that's a scary thought because it means that things getting bigger

Old 02-22-2009, 07:46 PM
megawatt00
Post Fiend
megawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by F350-6 View Post
Good memory Jim, but that's a scary thought because it means that things getting bigger
I thought that everything in Texas was bigger...

Old 02-22-2009, 07:58 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.
miller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputation
Chris, looks like it came from the drivers side and hit hard. I wonder if that is the result of me and Roland throwing that injector at you when you left here?????

Old 02-22-2009, 08:02 PM
jdecker88
Post Fiend
jdecker88 is a splendid one to beholdjdecker88 is a splendid one to beholdjdecker88 is a splendid one to beholdjdecker88 is a splendid one to beholdjdecker88 is a splendid one to beholdjdecker88 is a splendid one to beholdjdecker88 is a splendid one to beholdjdecker88 is a splendid one to behold
Throwing injectors around dang boys those things are worth good money! I agree it looks like something came off the fan and hit, but surely you would have heard something like that.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:10 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Rick, something tells me you would have thrown those tiny beers before you threw any injectors that you had a core charge on

It looks to me like the belt broke and the end slapped the hood since the hole is about as wide, and directly above the belt. Of course since I've had this truck since new, I'm on my 3rd belt, and I haven't broken one yet.

I do drive on gravel roads every day, but that's too square of an edge for gravel in my opinion. I guess I picked up something else or left a wrench or something under my hood.

Now I've got to try and remember what the last thing I did under my hood was and see if I'm missing any tools.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:32 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.
miller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputation
Rick, something tells me you would have thrown those tiny beers before you threw any injectors that you had a core charge on

It looks to me like the belt broke and the end slapped the hood since the hole is about as wide, and directly above the belt. Of course since I've had this truck since new, I'm on my 3rd belt, and I haven't broken one yet.

I do drive on gravel roads every day, but that's too square of an edge for gravel in my opinion. I guess I picked up something else or left a wrench or something under my hood.

Now I've got to try and remember what the last thing I did under my hood was and see if I'm missing any tools.
Chris, how can you be so wrong, I will never throw a beer away.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:14 PM
mueckster
Post Fiend
mueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by miller_feed View Post
Chris, how can you be so wrong, I will never throw a beer away.
I can vouch for that!

Old 02-23-2009, 07:49 AM
vettdvr
Posting Guru
vettdvr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.vettdvr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Went out to check the fluids in my truck for the start of the week and noticed a hole or indention in the under hood insulation. It's near center left to right and lines up right above the serpentine belt. No visible issues with the belt that has been on there for the last 83k miles. Anyone have ideas?
Any idea on where to get a replacement hood mat? Mine at one time has stringing on the fan belt which made a nice slit across the front. Now it is sagging and contact glue holds nothing. I really need to replace it. Any part #'s or where to get a replacement? Thanks

Old 02-23-2009, 08:01 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Check with Ed (FTE Parts Guy) when he gets back from vacation. He'll be able to get you a part number and tell you if it's worth buying it from him or just getting it at your local dealer.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:59 AM
vettdvr
Posting Guru
vettdvr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.vettdvr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Check with Ed (FTE Parts Guy) when he gets back from vacation. He'll be able to get you a part number and tell you if it's worth buying it from him or just getting it at your local dealer.
Ed did a nice job on my last interior parts order,, I will check with him.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.