Ontario Chapter Join Chapter>, Leader: loudfords

Ordered my new Griffin Rad.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 06:52 AM
Red Ford Truck
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Ordered my new Griffin Rad.

After much searching and questions I think I found the best all Aluminum Rad.

A company call Griffin, they if you can believe it make a direct fit not universal that will work with my rad shroud.

This thing was about the same price as a OEM brass and copper knock off and will cool up to a 600hp motor.

It will be fantastic for pulling the new travel trailer I think.

Down side is it's a three week delivery.

All in all I pretty happy with the purchase though.

Rick.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:15 PM
jdrahush
Senior User
Aluminum rads are so cool. I know a few guys who built cars with Griffin rads and have heard good things. Grats on the purchase!

Old 02-23-2009, 10:13 AM
fp_5
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
They must have come down in price , last time I looked into it a few years back, they were 3 times the price of an OEM syle replacement.
Are you running an automatic? If so I would still recommend and external cooler for the tranny if your towing.

frank

Old 02-23-2009, 03:38 PM
Red Ford Truck
Posting Guru
Yes I'm running an automatic.

Originally Posted by fp_5
They must have come down in price , last time I looked into it a few years back, they were 3 times the price of an OEM syle replacement.
Are you running an automatic? If so I would still recommend and external cooler for the tranny if your towing.

frank
I had that thought too but the rad I'm getting will cool a 600 hp motor and is the premium version with 1 and a 1/4 inch tubes so I'm going to try it out without external trans cooler first and see what I get.

If it's good I'll leave it that way if the truck runs hot I'm going to go with a frame mounted unit because I don't much like the look of the ones that sit in front of the rads.

Rick.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:10 AM
loudfords
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rick, what's the $$$ on the Griffin? I can't remember how much my copper rad was, I got it 11 or 12 years ago. Time flies!

Old 02-24-2009, 02:54 PM
Red Ford Truck
Posting Guru
$646 Canadian.

Originally Posted by loudfords
Rick, what's the $$$ on the Griffin? I can't remember how much my copper rad was, I got it 11 or 12 years ago. Time flies!
Which is pretty good because the fellow at griffin in South Carolina told me it would be $599 US before taxes and shipping.

The $646 Canadian is pick in Canada price plus any taxes I guess.

And the nice thing is this rad is not a universal it's factory fit able to use the factory mounts and shroud.

Rick.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:11 AM
loudfords
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't recall my copper rad being ANYWHERE near that much. I got it at Crappy Tire...

Old 02-25-2009, 03:25 PM
Red Ford Truck
Posting Guru
Was it a four core?

Originally Posted by loudfords
I don't recall my copper rad being ANYWHERE near that much. I got it at Crappy Tire...
The smaller less cooling rads are around the $375 range but once you go up to the super cooling or 4 core the price jumps big time.

I found even getting it recored was on the expensive side both rad places told me the cores are very expensive.

I believe if I went with the brass copper older style rad I would also still have to for sure run a trans cooler, again more money.

So for me the All Aluminum Rad that uses factory mounting and cools up to 600hp motor is a great choice and one I'm glad I had.

Rick.